Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Peter Parker: Spider-Man Appreciation 2020

With great power, there must also come great responsibility.

The original who success led to all the various Spiders. We're another year closer to Spider-Man's 60th anniversary as well.

Happy New Year to the Amazing Spider-Man .

my wish list for this year is for him to purpose to Mj finally finish school and decide on his final career choice and I want a fight in which he is put to his limits and pulls out a win against a villain
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Happy 2020 to Peter Parker the original and still best Spider-Person. I hope this year brings great things for my third favorite superhero of them all and my favorite Marvel character.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

The best superhero in the Marvel universe!

I hope we get some Spider-Man crossovers with as many different characters and offices as possible. I feel like there's been a severe lack of Peter popping up in other heroes' books!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    my wish list for this year is for him to purpose to Mj finally finish school and decide on his final career choice and I want a fight in which he is put to his limits and pulls out a win against a villain
    Agreed. I especially hope that one is Kindred and it doesn't turn out to be a dud.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post

I hope we get some Spider-Man crossovers with as many different characters and offices as possible. I feel like there's been a severe lack of Peter popping up in other heroes' books!
    Same here. I'm especially looking forward to his interactions with the X-Men in light of their new status quo and how the complications that would ensue from that would impact him in particular.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post

I think we had a bit too much crossovers and team-ups with the prior Spider-Man era, so I'm all for a bit of a break from that side from events, continuity nods, or the occasional team-up book.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post

With great power, there must also come great responsibility.

The original whose success led to all the various Spiders. We're another year closer to Spider-Man's 60th anniversary as well.
    I.. never noticed those little eyeholes in the mask. Is that how he's supposed to see from a homemade costume?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I.. never noticed those little eyeholes in the mask. Is that how he's supposed to see from a homemade costume?
    I think it was for dramatic effect.

BANNED

Amazing Spider-Man #20 Jan 1965
    First appearance of the Scorpion in "The Coming of the Scorpion!"
    J. Jonah Jameson pays Dr. Stillwell to turn Mac Gargan into the Scorpion to try to capture Spider-Man.

Stillwell's formula makes Gargan become more evil than he originally was

and the Scorpion goes on a rampage.

Script by Stan Lee, art by Steve Ditko

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Amazing Spider-Man #20 Jan 1965
    First appearance of the Scorpion in "The Coming of the Scorpion!"
    J. Jonah Jameson pays Dr. Stillwell to turn Mac Gargan into the Scorpion to try to capture Spider-Man.

Stillwell's formula makes Gargan become more evil than he originally was

and the Scorpion goes on a rampage.

Script by Stan Lee, art by Steve Ditko
    Thanks for sharing this. $10,000 sure used to be a lot of money in those days.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

ROFLMAO!!!! Thanks for sharing!

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Keith Pollard!!!

Amazing Spider-Man #200 Jan 1980
    "The Spider and the Burglar...A Sequel"
    Spider-Man has been injected with a large dose of anti-depressants and left to die by Mysterio.
    However, Spider-Man survives the injection but it has left him without his spider-powers.
    In spite of this, Spider-Man is determined to learn why Mysterio rigged his Aunt May's death and returns home,
    once more lamenting his lot in life since becoming the Amazing Spider-Man. Unknown to Spidey,
    the Burglar who shot his Uncle Ben manages to free himself from the boiler room in the Restwell Retirement home
    and decides that maybe May Parker's nephew will know the secret of the hidden loot.

Meanwhile, Peter has begun trying to track down who it was that rented and trashed his Aunt May's old home in Forrest Hills.
    After meeting with Anna Watson and the rental company that rented out his aunts home,
    Peter is shocked to learn that it was rented by the man who shot and killed his Uncle Ben.
    Returning to his apartment and changing back into Spider-Man, Peter vows to track the Burglar down

and stop him once and for all, considering even killing the man responsible for his uncle's death.

Peter decides to do some more research on the man who killed Uncle Ben when he finds a lead to follow by checking
    the Daily Globe's morgue files, he decides to check the video archives of a television station that ran news stories about the case.
    When Peter Parker is denied admittance because he has no appointment, he risks his life
    climbing a web-line into the building as Spider-Man despite the fact that he has no spider-powers.
    Inside, he finds the tape he is looking for and reviews it.
    On his way out he hears a commotion and sees a security guard chasing a man.
    Unlike the first time he found himself in such a situation, Peter stops the man being chased and realizes that ironically enough
    the security guard he just helped was the same man who he refused to help all those years ago when he first became Spider-Man.

After Peter returns to his apartment to find that Burglar is there waiting for him,
    Peter instantly pounces on the man and the two are locked in a brutal fight.
    During the scuffle, the Burglar drops his gun, but recovers it in the struggle
    and strikes Peter on the head with its butt, knocking him out.
    When Peter revives, he finds himself in the very warehouse that the Burglar holed up after he shot Uncle Ben.
    The Burglar then starts grilling Peter about hidden loot and explains that Aunt May's
    house used to be owned by a Prohibition-era crime boss named Dutch Mallone.
    He explains that Mallone -- among other criminal enterprises -- had a successful
    bootlegging operation during the 30's until he was busted by Elliot Ness for tax evasion.
    It was being incarcerated with Mallone that the Burglar learned that he had a large sum of money
    stashed in the home that would eventually be bought and owned by Ben and May Parker.
    He explains that's why he went to the Parker home that fateful night.
    When Peter refuses to tell the Burglar anything because he killed Aunt May,
    the crook reveals that anything that happened to his dear aunt was all the doings of Mysterio.
    Getting a moment of inspiration, the Burglar decides to leave Peter to do one last thing and will come back to kill Parker later.

The whole time trying to break free, Peter finally manages to bust loose
    and decides to go after the Burglar not as Peter Parker, but as Spider-Man.
    Secretly following the Burglar, Spider-Man is led right back to the Restwell Retirement home.
    When the Burglar goes into the basement, Spider-Man attempts to confront him there and is shot and left for dead.
    The Burglar returns to the warehouse shortly thereafter to shock Peter Parker by showing him his Aunt May alive and well.
    Apparently, Mysterio had faked her death to get Mallone's loot for himself and the Burglar
    would hope that threatening Parker's aunt in front of him would loosen the boy's tongue.

Realizing Peter isn't there, the Burglar is shocked when Spider-Man -- only winged by the bullets and is alive and well -- is waiting there for him.
    Spidey attacks the Burglar head-on attacking him with an unbridled fury.

When Spider-Man proves to be too much for the Burglar to handle, he tries to flee.
    However, Spider-Man continues to chase after him, using his spider-signal to intimidate and further strike fear into the Burglar.
    When Spider-Man finally has him cornered, the frightened Burglar suffers a heart attack and dies of fright.
    Spider-Man then sets off a fire alarm to get the authorities to show up
    and convinces Aunt May that he came to her rescue for her nephew Peter.

Later, with Aunt May once more in the hospital, Peter goes to visit her
    and she tells her nephew that she no longer thinks of Spider-Man as a menace.
    She also ends up solving the mystery of what happened to Mallone's loot:
    When she and Ben had first moved into the home and did renovations they found a box inside one of the walls.
    Inside they found the remains of Mallone's money all right, however, it had long since been destroyed by silverfish.
    Later, after the anti-depressants that Mysterio injected him with have been flushed out of his system,
    Peter changes into Spider-Man and finds that his powers have returned to full strength

and decides that after this whole experience he will continue being Spider-Man.

NOTE: Stan Lee scripts the final page of the story.

Script by Marv Wolfman. Art by Keith Pollard https://comicvine.gamespot.com/keith-pollard/4040-4300/ (breakdowns) and Jim Mooney (finishes).

Astonishing Member

Re-reading JMS TASM run on the book, great characterization of a mature Peter Parker, Mary Jane Watson Parker and Aunt May. Very few if anybody wrote them better.
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 01-20-2020 at 10:13 PM.