Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Gerry Conway's SPIDER-MAN: The Tragedy and Evolution of a Hero

From CBR, five reasons Spider-man is the greatest hero in comics and five reasons he's not.

https://www.cbr.com/reasons-spider-m...t-hero-comics/
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    From CBR, five reasons Spider-man is the greatest hero in comics and five reasons he's not.

https://www.cbr.com/reasons-spider-m...t-hero-comics/
    I generally agree with that list, especially the items about enforced stagnation and the Parker Luck, not even getting into One More Day, though OMD is the ultimate nadir of those previous items.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Amazing Spider-Man #23 Apr 1965
    "The Goblin and the Gangsters"
    The Green Goblin returns and wants to take over Lucky Lobo's mob;

Spidey battles Lucky Lobo and his gang;

Spidey fights the Green Goblin in a factory.

Letter from Jim Shooter, former editor-in-chief at Marvel, critiquing Marvel's handling of Spider-Man.

Script by Stan Lee, art by Steve Ditko

Marvel could use this as a warning to people disobeying the Coronavirus lockdown, lol

From ASM #223
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Marvel could use this as a warning to people disobeying the Coronavirus lockdown, lol

From ASM #223
    I remember this. Peter going off on those jerks, and one of said jerks admitting at the end that Peter was in the right in his assessment of them, was a gratifying moment.

One website had a Top 38 stories list.

https://www.bigglasgowcomicpage.com/...ies-in-comics/

There are some interesting decisions about what counts as a story. "The Conversation" and "Coming Home" are seen as separate stories, whereas the Alien Costume Saga and first appearance of Venom count as one. Somehow the Gauntlet is listed as one story, but Shed is a different entry.

This does give a sense of what recent stories are going to be consistently included among the best ever, although there are some unexpected additions.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Well I'm not gay, I perfer MJ fanservice but im looking at my 80s Spidey collection(through trades and floppies, born in 84) the creative teams sure does love showing Peter fanservice for the ladies every chance, i mean i see countless of books where theres a scene where Peter wakes up out of his bed or walking around doing anything in his apartment wearing nothing but tighty whities, i guess its the 80s and that sorta thing is trending with that famous 80s calvin klein underwear ad with Tom" Hintnaus that was shown in time square billboards. i guess thats what marvel was going for despite the push of Peter being average, he sure doesnt not look average.
    Last edited by Rzerox21xx; 05-05-2020 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    Well I'm not gay, I perfer MJ fanservice but im looking at my 80s Spidey collection(through trades and floppies, born in 84) the creative teams sure does love showing Peter fanservice for the ladies every chance, i mean i see countless of books where theres a scene where Peter wakes up out of his bed or walking around doing anything in his apartment wearing nothing but tighty whities, i guess its the 80s and that sorta thing is trending with that famous 80s calvin klein underwear ad with Tom" Hintnaus that was shown in time square billboards. i guess thats what marvel was going for despite the push of Peter being average, he sure doesnt not look average.
    The same thing happened in the 90s animated series, which had a lot of scenes of Peter in his underwear or otherwise shirtless, particularly when he freed himself of the Venom symbiote in "The Alien Costume, Part 2," since the symbiote at the time was acting as his clothing.

Since today would have been the 82nd birthday of Moebius, I thought it would be neat to celebrate the greatness of his artistry:

Mighty Member

The Spiderman powers page of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe. I could not remember if Spidey could originally lift 10 or 15 tons. I always thought that he was 30x the reflexes of a average man but it was listed at 15 times faster. (Cap is 10 times faster.)

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    The Spiderman powers page of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe. I could not remember if Spidey could originally lift 10 or 15 tons. I always thought that he was 30x the reflexes of a average man but it was listed at 15 times faster. (Cap is 10 times faster.)

Yeah, he started off with reflexes 15x faster than the average (presumably athletic) human, but by the early 90s or so --- I think it might have been in that one issue where he was giving Mary Jane the rundown on his powers --- his reflexes were stated to be 40x faster than the average (again, presumably athletic) human. Of course, it was said in those earlier comics that he was still a teenager and thus had yet to reach his peak in terms of physical capability and performance, so his strength and speed increasing as he aged into an adult would make good sense.

One of my favorite pre-OMD happy endings for Pete & MJ (from ASM (V.2) #50):

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    One of my favorite pre-OMD happy endings for Pete & MJ (from ASM (V.2) #50):

One of my favorite moments, too.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar