Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nadia Van Dyne Appreciation 2020

After a game changing 2019, Nadia is heading to 2020 with a new novel, co starring with Captain Marvel and getting involved in a big status quo event.

Interview with Sam Maggs, author of Unstoppable Wasp: Built on Hope, out next month.
    https://www.cbr.com/sam-maggs-interv...built-on-hope/

And this is the cover:
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I am so excited about that novel. The fact that she spoke to Jeremy Whitley and had his run on hand when writing it is a great boost of confidence for me that she is going to do the character right.

My only pause for concern is that this is her first published novel.

Gee, you sure can tell there's no new comics right now (except at DC). CBR's running an article about how Nadia could enter the MCU - something likely to never happen considering Hope is officially her counterpart.
    https://www.cbr.com/how-unstoppable-...ld-appear-mcu/

Scott Lang being her father instead of Hank Pym? Have they forgotten that he already HAS a daughter? They're suggesting Hope be the one to adopt her instead of Janet. Fact is, if the MCU wants a teenage Wasp, they'll just give Cassie her Stinger identity. They also suggested Nadia could show up in the Black Widow movie or Falcon and Winter Soldier show due to her Red Room origin (we'd already know if they were doing that, Widow's in the can and FWS was in production when Coronavirus shut things down, so in either case, casting would already be done). They also suggested she could show up in Ms. Marvel's show, due to their Champions connection - but the MCU is almost certainly using Young Avengers instead, which, again, means they'd use Cassie.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Gee, you sure can tell there's no new comics right now (except at DC). CBR's running an article about how Nadia could enter the MCU - something likely to never happen considering Hope is officially her counterpart.
    https://www.cbr.com/how-unstoppable-...ld-appear-mcu/

Scott Lang being her father instead of Hank Pym? Have they forgotten that he already HAS a daughter? They're suggesting Hope be the one to adopt her instead of Janet. Fact is, if the MCU wants a teenage Wasp, they'll just give Cassie her Stinger identity. They also suggested Nadia could show up in the Black Widow movie or Falcon and Winter Soldier show due to her Red Room origin (we'd already know if they were doing that, Widow's in the can and FWS was in production when Coronavirus shut things down, so in either case, casting would already be done). They also suggested she could show up in Ms. Marvel's show, due to their Champions connection - but the MCU is almost certainly using Young Avengers instead, which, again, means they'd use Cassie.
    I'd rather see Nadia get more mass-media attention then Hope to be honest.

Already worried about how she'll survive being Outlawed...

It's a shame that they can't use Nadia as she is way more interesting than Hope has even been.

Nadia's comic back story is awesome. & It could have been even better.

She could have definitely been written with a Darker & Grittier Story. Rather than as a vanilla happy kids comic.
    She is like what if Black Widow was also genius inventor & had superpowers.

How she got back to USA and met Janet was so rushed. That could have definitely been stretched out.
    & she gets help from ̶s̶q̶u̶i̶r̶r̶e̶l̶ ̶g̶i̶r̶l̶ Kamala? When it should have been Black Widow.

They were far more interested on her being a younger version of the Wasp.
    Last edited by destinyascension; 04-22-2020 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by destinyascension View Post

She could have definitely been written with a Darker & Grittier Story. Rather than as a vanilla happy kids comic.

How she got back to USA and met Janet was so rushed. That could have definitely been stretched out.
    & she gets help from the squirrel girl? When it should have been Black Widow.

I don't think making the character darker and more gritty would have been better.

Her writers (and Jeremy Whitley especially) made the current take of her work so well. The character is so full of fun and wonder after escaping the hell of the Red Room and this is so fun to see and makes Nadia incredibly enduring to me. This also made the story of her Bipolar Disorder hit way harder than it could have if she was always dark and gritty for me.

I thought her introduction was done well. The events of her introduction were kicked off by her finding the Avengers, everything else fell into place after that.

Quote Originally Posted by destinyascension View Post

& she gets help from ̶s̶q̶u̶i̶r̶r̶e̶l̶ ̶g̶i̶r̶l̶ Kamala? When it should have been Black Widow.

They already have multiple "younger Black Widow" characters. Part of what makes Nadia interesting is that she's not another Black Widow, despite growing up in the Red Room. She has different experiences than Natasha and a very different outlook on life, as was made clear when they worked together in Secret Empire. Anyway, having Janet and Bobbi as Nadia's mentors gives the book something special that other books don't have.

Yeah, if a writer wants to use a teenage Black Widow, they can use Red Widow (not the one currently in Avengers, there was another a few years ago).

Extraordinary Member

She’s asexual

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Yeah, I would not want an "edgy" Nadia. What makes her such a great character is how positive she is despite her upbringing.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    She’s asexual
    Jeremy Whitley confirmed he wrote her that way (after Marvel nixed the possibility of her pairing up with Ying).

It hasn't been confirmed in-canon yet or if other writers see her that way but it was apparently explicit in the recent novel and she might not have a serious romantic interest any time soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Yeah, I would not want an "edgy" Nadia. What makes her such a great character is how positive she is despite her upbringing.
    Agreed. It makes her much more likeable and interesting to me compared to if they had made her just a serious, no-nonsense, Wasp like Hope.

All-New Member

Nadia will be featured in the upcoming Marvel Action: Chillers comic series
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hol...-works-1304040

Of course she is. It's written by Jeremy Whitley!