Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lunarmagik View Post
    I don't think she's trying to pull any weight. I really think that's just how she signs. After all, of the New Mutants she probably is the one that has the least use of her "civilian" name. No family to return to, technically dead as a kid, all her connections are to the x-men, unlike the others that have been shown kinda "living" normal lifes.
    She does have connections outside the X-Men, at this point more than any other New Mutant on Krakoa, since she's a teacher at Strange Academy.

On the subject of Savage Avengers, it was quite interesting to see Illyana decide to spare Sadurang even as Conan is yelling at her to finish him. In general I haven't liked just how fine she's been with killing in recent years. It used to be that she was willing to kill but only if necessary, and it's nice to see a return to that kind of characterization.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    She does have connections outside the X-Men, at this point more than any other New Mutant on Krakoa, since she's a teacher at Strange Academy.

On the subject of Savage Avengers, it was quite interesting to see Illyana decide to spare Sadurang even as Conan is yelling at her to finish him. In general I haven't liked just how fine she's been with killing in recent years. It used to be that she was willing to kill but only if necessary, and it's nice to see a return to that kind of characterization.
    I know she has connections but most of the connections are with other super powered people, who recognize her more as Magik than Illyana. I meant she doesnt have more mundane connections where she'd need to go by a normal name.

I don't mind either way if she kills or not. Tbh I don't remember any important kill besides dark beast? I could be wrong as I'm bad remembering stuff on the spot.

I know she has connections but most of the connections are with other super powered people, who recognize her more as Magik than Illyana. I meant she doesnt have more mundane connections where she'd need to go by a normal name.

I don't mind either way if she kills or not. Tbh I don't remember any important kill besides dark beast? I could be wrong as I'm bad remembering stuff on the spot.
    The other characters dont really have many non-super hero connections either. I dont think there is anything special about Illyana in that regard. I think its more odd that they used their human names instead of their mutant names as opposed to it being odd that Illyana didnt use her human name.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The other characters dont really have many non-super hero connections either. I dont think there is anything special about Illyana in that regard. I think its more odd that they used their human names instead of their mutant names as opposed to it being odd that Illyana didnt use her human name.
    Also how ridiculously neat they all were. Very few people write like that in real life. Makes it look like they just typed their names and Magik was the only one who picked up an actual pen.

I would have hoped the same for the others, it was my first thought as well.

I think Magik's case is more distinct still lmao. Mostly everyone in the NM group have more grounded stuff imo: Dani(and maybe Warpath) can potentially be native american embassadors for mutants as shown in the Indigenous voices oneshot, karma is a ceo of her family business, rhane has been shown with an interest in having a normal life(rosenbergs uncanny and the x-factor stuff seems more urban(?)). While Magik is a demonic sorceress who might become one day a Sorcerer Supreme.
    Last edited by lunarmagik; 12-17-2020 at 09:54 AM.

Amazing Member

While Magik is a demonic sorceress and Sorcerer Supreme but is just letting Strange believe that he is the Sorcerer Supreme.
    fixed that last bit for you =)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Correction no she didn't have the vaccine forced to her in uncanny she was wearing an inhibitor collar. The caller was designed to turn off one's mutant ability and for some strange (stupid) reason ět made her a mindless hate goblin Darkchylde.
    Actually, sometimes Illyana just likes to 'Shatner' it up with over-acting.

IMHO she was just taking the opportunity to crush O.N.E. after being in jail for a long time, same as tearing up the prison when springing Cyclops: a back-handed comment about Scott having put her in a cell.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Incredible Member

I've just watched the movie a second time, and suddenly realized after reading TNM for FORTY YEARS, that for someone with fear powers, 'MoonStar' is a pun on 'Monster'

Was I the last to know?

How many of you knew?
    (Maybe I should be asking elsewhere, but I wanted to check.)

(It was Bobby's line, 'Oh, You Were *SERIOUS*?" )

Extraordinary Member

Found this interview with Leah Williams about the original Magik mini. Good stuff, but they're not correct about Illyana creating a sword as big as she was. That wasn't a thing until the Bachalo redesign.
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/podc...-leah-williams

Quote Originally Posted by G0RM View Post
    I've just watched the movie a second time, and suddenly realized after reading TNM for FORTY YEARS, that for someone with fear powers, 'MoonStar' is a pun on 'Monster'

Was I the last to know?

How many of you knew?
    (Maybe I should be asking elsewhere, but I wanted to check.)

(It was Bobby's line, 'Oh, You Were *SERIOUS*?" )
    I never knew that until you just mentioned it

Incredible Member

I never knew that until you just mentioned it
    Given that Dani fled into the wilderness after her first manifestation of the demon-bear that 'killed her parents' ie to them inside herself, and manifesting through the demon bear, changed two caucasians, a cup and a nurse, into basically Captain Americas ( Apache supers, same as she briefly transformed Bobby & Amara )

Mighty Member

Found this interview with Leah Williams about the original Magik mini. Good stuff, but they're not correct about Illyana creating a sword as big as she was. That wasn't a thing until the Bachalo redesign.
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/podc...-leah-williams
    No... I'd say that statement is pretty accurate. The original Soul Sword may not be wide, but that sword is long as hell. It's easily as tall as she is, if not taller. I remember cause I reread that trade a month ago

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    No... I'd say that statement is pretty accurate. The original Soul Sword may not be wide, but that sword is long as hell. It's easily as tall as she is, if not taller. I remember cause I reread that trade a month ago
    It isn't. There's one panel where the sword looks abnormally long, the first panel where Belasco uses his own sword. Even then it only looks like the sword is almost as tall as Illyana is because she isn't standing up straight. In pretty much every other panel in which the full sword is visible the blade is a typical length of around 3 feet and closer to half her height than her full height even though she'd still be pretty short at this point. The sword is about the length of her leg, maybe a tad longer.

Mighty Member

It isn't. There's one panel where the sword looks abnormally long, the first panel where Belasco uses his own sword. Even then it only looks like the sword is almost as tall as Illyana is because she isn't standing up straight. In pretty much every other panel in which the full sword is visible the blade is a typical length of around 3 feet and closer to half her height than her full height even though she'd still be pretty short at this point. The sword is about the length of her leg, maybe a tad longer.
    Are you trying to insinuate that preteen Illyana is six feet tall? I'm looking at the pages and the blade is massive, The first full panel with it has it like three times her upper body. The only time the sword looks reasonably lengthed is when she destroys the statues in belsaco's study. Everywhere else it's an obscenely huge blade.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    Are you trying to insinuate that preteen Illyana is six feet tall? I'm looking at the pages and the blade is massive, The first full panel with it has it like three times her upper body. The only time the sword looks reasonably lengthed is when she destroys the statues in belsaco's study. Everywhere else it's an obscenely huge blade.
    There is 1 panel where it's an unusually large sword. That's this, where her statement that Belasco has the longer reach seems comical. Even then, it's still not as long as she is tall.

soulsword size 11.jpg

In all other panels it's much shorter. This is probably the best panel to judge its length since Illyana is standing the straightest, the sword is in full view, and it's easy to compare its length to the length of Belasco's sword.

soulsword size.jpg
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 12-21-2020 at 03:08 AM.