Page 40 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Extraordinary Member

As I posted in the spoiler thread, I'm not happy either with the movie as a whole or how it handled Illyana.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    As I posted in the spoiler thread, I'm not happy either with the movie as a whole or how it handled Illyana.
    Thats disappointing considering most thought she looked like the obvious breakout character

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Thats disappointing considering most thought she looked like the obvious breakout character
    She's just a foil for Dani, and the movie is almost over before they start attempting to do anything with her. Basically it's Dani's movie and everyone is defined almost entirely by how they relate to Dani.

BANNED

She's just a foil for Dani, and the movie is almost over before they start attempting to do anything with her. Basically it's Dani's movie and everyone is defined almost entirely by how they relate to Dani.
    The movie got poor reviews so you are not alone. Still I think Disney will keep Anya as Magik and ditch the cast.

I do think at least from the bits alone what Anya did was fantastic. She played her well.

BANNED

How many times do I have to say that they should not include all or even most of her origin before people start to understand that that is what I am saying? How many times are people going to say 'they can't do X' when I've agreed and addressed that point a billion times? Where do people keep getting this idea that it either has to be 100% like the Magik mini or 0% like it and there's nothing in between?

As for the pedophilia thing, Boone says they are going with a child trafficking angle. That's as explicit as you can get when it comes to pedophilia and a million times more 'obvious' than anything in the mini.
    Well you said the movie in general sucks so that’s the least of it.

Fantastic Member

Havent seen the movie but I figured they would change her origin because that's what they do. When the movie came in under 2 hours we already knew there would be peoblems. So this isnt surprising the same as them trying to make Dani and Rahne a thing which again is a stupud waste of time in such a short movie. Im not a huge fan of the magical demon stuff so changing that doesnt really bother me as much. Marvel always makes the magic stuff too over the top and Illyana ends up being a deus ex machina. For me I say let her stick to being a mutant and leave the magic somewhere else. In fact if it were me her codename wouldn't even be Magik. But on the otherhand, if you pick a character to put in a movie its kind if careless and reckless to say that same character's backstory is just too convoluted

Anya will be in her 30's by the time Disney is ready to get into the mutants seriously again. She wasn't that great in the role(let's be real, them bangs are doing the heavy lifting). I say go with an actual Russian teen next time. And the whole Belasco story and Piotr connection shouldn't be skipped, they add so much to her character.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Anya looks like she could pull off Enchantress if they ever get around to her in the future

BANNED

Boone interview from today https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-new-muta...s-a-1844806878

I'm kind of disappointed in this. The right way to go about it was not to change her origin so that limbo isn't a 'real' place, but to leave much of what happened there a mystery and up to the audience's imagination. This also means that Belasco almost certainly doesn't exist and that any demons in the hypothetical Inferno movie would just be created by Illyana's mind.
    I've said this before and I'll say it again. These movies aren't about the characters in the comics. They're basically the really,really bad fanfics you often find on fanfiction.net where authors of the fanfics instead of coming up their own names for the characters in their stories, they just rip-off the names of the established characters like they did here.

^ Hah, It's the only way they can get their fanfics to get green-lit, by simply using the names and property of IPs. And yeah Illyana's rep is pretty much tarnished and same goes for New Mutants as a whole. Womp womp.
    "I swear to god, if I get banned..."

Extraordinary Member

The New Mutants issue today is peak Illyana, the real Illyana. Definitely a good pallet cleanser after her disastrous movie portrayal.

Now that's some portrayal I can get behind. Glob wouldn't have been my firts choice for showing Illyana's human side, but it was very good.
    Now I'm still waiting for Sapna to be back.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Incredible Member

I want to make sure the link to TNM #12 Recap&Review-Spoilers is filed here for reference purposes, because I'll be commenting here about issues raised there:

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...eview-Spoilers