Page 12 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Cannot wait...

Attachment 91418
    Is that me screaming? I can't tell, blacked out.

The real question... will the boob window return?

BANNED

Magik should be aware of what its happening in her realm... if its still her realm, I havent read all the issue but Belasco looks in charge here
    https://imgur.com/a/dHK6eU1#HqFlc7K

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by hulkling View Post
    Magik should be aware of what its happening in her realm... if its still her realm, I havent read all the issue but Belasco looks in charge here
    I'm hoping this will make Magik show up in GR cause I always thought that was a natural crossover

This is fine. Hickman is having fun in New Mutants, and he's good at this, he's not making fun of these characters (or their continuity or their fans), IMO, he's purposefully risking the given rule that X-Men fans will hate you personally if you mess with their personal definition of their personal favorite character and in X-Books this really is a big risk and has become way toooooooo precious.

Lately, risky writing in X-Books is mostly producing a bit of sexy pop candy for social media fandom and it can be awesome but can also be really superficial and comes off like a selfie taken by a creator doing cosplay as the hip one who gets you and champions you if you 'like' them.

Hickman earned this and isn't using the climate of the times to gratify or self-gratify anybody. It's offering something so much better than what is trending says we want.

It's great writing in a great book with a great cannon of great continuity and nothing and nobody is being used like a cog in some sort of collective feeding tube machine...nope. This is something so much better.

This is me in an audience for once, and I am so uncomfortable in crowds...but I'm fine here...sort of...yea...fine.

As long as I am projecting (not thinking about it).

Possibly even going someplace and maybe changing through the experience.

Honesty test: yes, is that I smiled, that I laughed, that I appreciated that Magik was very much alone against these unapologetic invaders, that she came to life the second she got the chance to do her captain thing and that this whole space opera is a joyful experience for her.

Awww Yanna...it's touching really.

I don't care about my rules
    She's playing, she's having fun, sure she's kinda rude and crude and childish about it all, but it's awesome.

I wouldn't have scripted this.

Me smiling like that (this) that...this.

It just happened(s)ing.

So great, I was wrong and something I thought I knew went wha? then dropped his guard and went whoa? and then awe..and really I don't know it all anyway, I don't even like that sort of feeling or expectation...and so, right now, I'm glad. Not the center of attention. My attention is elsewhere. Gratefully.

Hi Illyana. You monster you
    Last edited by sungila; 01-10-2020 at 11:39 AM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Interesting:

SAVAGE AVENGERS #0
    GERRY DUGGAN & CHRIS CLAREMONT (W)
    GREG SMALLWOOD & JOHN ROMITA JR. (A)
    Cover by GREG SMALLWOOD
    VARIANT COVER BY PHILIP TAN
    The looming threat of Kulan Gath reunites Dr. Strange and Magik on Krakoa. The fate of the world will rest in what they discover. Re-presenting a pair of classics, UNCANNY X-MEN 190 & 191 by Chris Claremont and John Romita Jr, in the context of a great new sequence illustrated by the impeccable Greg Smallwood.
    64 PGS./Parental Advisory …$4.99

and...

https://www.cbr.com/savage-avengers-...strange-magik/

https://twitter.com/mymonsterischic/...20030027046912

this is a quality tweet in a vacuum but now i can imagine williams listening to blueface and i think i might need the five to bring me back
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    She was physically & possibly sexually abused during her time in Limbo...at least while "under the care" of S'ym. While I don't believe she would find the subject of sex taboo, she certainly doesn't seem to have any connection to it. So for her to toss a statement like that out there so casually, doesn't make sense to me.
    I wrote an extended piece about how Illyana, having been a victim of abuse, wouldn't make rape jokes, which "F$@$ or Fight" certainly is

Unfortunately, victims of abuse often end up becoming abusers

There is the undeniable evidence of her orders to S'ym concerning the Enchantress
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mighty Member

It's a real god damn stretch to call "F$@$ or Fight" a rape joke.

Like you reaching for the heavens with that one.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    It's a real god damn stretch to call "F$@$ or Fight" a rape joke.

Like you reaching for the heavens with that one.
    I genuinely don't want to troll or be controversial, and I'm not eager to spoil people's fun; I love this forum for the thoughtful and heart-felt discussions we share

I myself chuckled at first, but upon further consideration, I keep getting a bitter aftertaste that continues to spread

Could you explain step-by-step where you yourself believe that "Have sex with me or I'll kill you" falls on the spectrum of all rape jokes, from benign to serious, or explain how it doesn't fit on that spectrum at all?

(I follow many comedians' views on the nature of humor as 'the vicarious experience of pain', that most comedy is someone else's tragedy etc, but I actually am interested in your perspective specifically, not as an argument about who is right, what "isn't funny" etc; I know there's no accounting for taste, and I laughed initially too)

In "No Country For Old Men", the serial killer keeps asking people to call a coin flip, walking away without explaining sometimes, pulling out a weapon and killing them other times

Illyana asked the "Do you want to make out?" question without explicitly threatening them first, and might have actually just teleported them away afterward (causing their lifesigns to disappear), but it is set up to look a lot like the sort of thing a certain kind of serial killer might do, presented as a 'joke'

(The writers have generally portrayed Illyana 2.0 in the Wolverine/Punisher casual killer category since her resurrection, but this is the first time I've noticed an explicitly sexual element to her string of apparent murders)

Which is to say, if you found yourself alone at night, suddenly surrounded by a gang of Hell's Angels or equivalent, and one asked if you wanted to "make out", how funny would it feel to you? If it was then followed up with the "F$@$ or Fight and you choose wrong" comment? Perhaps you would find it hilarious, but I realized I would not after thinking about the joke for a while, especially given Magik's even greater power advantage in the scene

Yes, they were wetwork assasins ordered to kill everyone onboard, but Magik (or rather Hickman) was the one who saw fit to mix in sexuality, like a soldier who decides to have a bit of 'fun' while wiping out a village, rather than 'wasting' the opportunity

#meToo might be spoiling the 'fun' for lots of good ol' boys, and the book is after all making fun of killing, violence in prison etc, but I've known a number of men and women who've been assaulted, and I see them suddenly tense up from time to time about things I initially considered benign

It makes me consider what I do or don't do that makes the world better or worse...

Way back in TNM v1 #45, "We Were Only Foolin'", Larry Bodine (himself a closeted mutant) tries to tell some mutie jokes, trying to fit in, but they fall flat with Illyana and the others. It's a "very special episode" about suicide, like #4 "Who's Scaring Stevie" about stalking, or #64 "Instant Replay" about death and the mourning process

None of those issues were "fun" (they all actively hurt), but they each carefully examined the human condition, discussing deep consequences to actions in a way that this current run... doesn't. Hickman intends it as a fun romp, but it actively ignores the "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility" considerations of most of Marvel, instead following Sunspot's "I'll make a mess; you clean it up" philosophy

(I just realized that Illyana's own 'joke' here hid jealousy about Kitty's attention to Larry; it's odd I never saw it before, noticing only the quip and not the pain behind it)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by G0RM; 01-11-2020 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by G0RM View Post
    I genuinely don't want to troll or be controversial, and I'm not eager to spoil people's fun; I love this forum for the thoughtful and heart-felt discussions we share

I myself chuckled at first, but upon further consideration, I keep getting a bitter aftertaste that continues to spread
    I don't agree on your take of what happening. What was happening my interpretation Magik was doing a flirty way saying "give up" or "fight." Lastly I think there is mistake in thinking everyone who went through trauma should react a certain way and comics don't do good job showing people where they are their recover from certain things. You interpreted as Magik as former survive of trauma acting out the trama that happen to them, I see it as Magik years passed trama finally being flirty. I think you points are valid on some level but I think your take is vast overreaction. Anyways I moving on from this topic because on forums they general don't go well and even though I disagree with your take I think it is fine that is out there and it might gives someone chance to think about things differently .

Mighty Member

Could you explain step-by-step where you yourself believe that "Have sex with me or I'll kill you" falls on the spectrum of all rape jokes, from benign to serious, or explain how it doesn't fit on that spectrum at all?

(I follow many comedians' views on the nature of humor as 'the vicarious experience of pain', that most comedy is someone else's tragedy etc, but I actually am interested in your perspective specifically, not as an argument about who is right, what "isn't funny" etc; I know there's no accounting for taste, and I laughed initially too)

In "No Country For Old Men", the serial killer keeps asking people to call a coin flip, walking away without explaining sometimes, pulling out a weapon and killing them other times

Illyana asked the "Do you want to make out?" question without explicitly threatening them first, and might have actually just teleported them away afterward (causing their lifesigns to disappear), but it is set up to look a lot like the sort of thing a certain kind of serial killer might do, presented as a 'joke'

(The writers have generally portrayed Illyana 2.0 in the Wolverine/Punisher casual killer category since her resurrection, but this is the first time I've noticed an explicitly sexual element to her string of apparent murders)

Which is to say, if you found yourself alone at night, suddenly surrounded by a gang of Hell's Angels or equivalent, and one asked if you wanted to "make out", how funny would it feel to you? If it was then followed up with the "F$@$ or Fight and you choose wrong" comment? Perhaps you would find it hilarious, but I realized I would not after thinking about the joke for a while, especially given Magik's even greater power advantage in the scene

Yes, they were wetwork assasins ordered to kill everyone onboard, but Magik (or rather Hickman) was the one who saw fit to mix in sexuality, like a soldier who decides to have a bit of 'fun' while wiping out a village, rather than 'wasting' the opportunity

#meToo might be spoiling the 'fun' for lots of good ol' boys, and the book is after all making fun of killing, violence in prison etc, but I've known a number of men and women who've been assaulted, and I see them suddenly tense up from time to time about things I initially considered benign

It makes me consider what I do or don't do that makes the world better or worse...

Way back in TNM v1 #45, "We Were Only Foolin'", Larry Bodine (himself a closeted mutant) tries to tell some mutie jokes, trying to fit in, but they fall flat with Illyana and the others. It's a "very special episode" about suicide, like #4 "Who's Scaring Stevie" about stalking, or #64 "Instant Replay" about death and the mourning process

None of those issues were "fun" (they all actively hurt), but they each carefully examined the human condition, discussing deep consequences to actions in a way that this current run... doesn't. Hickman intends it as a fun romp, but it actively ignores the "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility" considerations of most of Marvel, instead following Sunspot's "I'll make a mess; you clean it up" philosophy

(I just realized that Illyana's own 'joke' here hid jealousy about Kitty's attention to Larry; it's odd I never saw it before, noticing only the quip and not the pain behind it)
    Yeah, you're reading way into a line that wasn't portraying anything of the sort.

Illyana did not say "We **** or else you die." she was going "I came here to **** or fight, and I guess I'm not fucking." it's banter. She wasn't placing them into the position. She didn't lead with the threat, nor try and double back on the sex option once that banter was over. The epitous of a rape joke is that one has no choice in the matter, which clearly is not the case in Magik's "Do you want to kiss me?" scenario.

Also the comparison to the Old Men serial killer doesn't work either, and anybody should easily be able to tell you why, especially considering he wasn't a rapist.

To pretend it was a "I'm going to force you to bang me situation" is such an obtuse utterly baffling reading of that situation that I gotta question where your minds goes at times. And to extrapolate it to the level of a War village scenario or Metoo. You're well off your rocker with this.
    Last edited by Woozie; 01-11-2020 at 08:53 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by hulkling View Post
    Wait. Belasco's back? And this is supposed to take place right now? Since when?

Well, I thought you were exagerating. But after reading this explanation i can understand where you are coming from. it really reads to rapeish

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I don't agree on your take of what happening. What was happening my interpretation Magik was doing a flirty way saying "give up" or "fight." Lastly I think there is mistake in thinking everyone who went through trauma should react a certain way and comics don't do good job showing people where they are their recover from certain things. You interpreted as Magik as former survive of trauma acting out the trama that happen to them, I see it as Magik years passed trama finally being flirty. I think you points are valid on some level but I think your take is vast overreaction. Anyways I moving on from this topic because on forums they general don't go well and even though I disagree with your take I think it is fine that is out there and it might gives someone chance to think about things differently .
    Trauma doesn't go away because years passed. There a lot of healing to do and confronting.

This comes very OOC from the last decade of Magik portrayals
    Last edited by spirit2011; 01-11-2020 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    https://twitter.com/mymonsterischic/...20030027046912

this is a quality tweet in a vacuum but now i can imagine williams listening to blueface and i think i might need the five to bring me back
    While I was not a fan of this exchange, I cannot deny the art is gorgeous and Reis depicts an amazing Yana!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Wait. Belasco's back? And this is supposed to take place right now? Since when?
    Yeah in the Ghost Rider series , there is a war between hells is coming to claim the throne of Mephisto that now belongs to Johnny Blaze . Honestly Illyana should be involved in this. And Beslasco transformed Danny in a Rider of Limbo, also looks like Azazel dimension will be part of this too.