Page 46 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Chapter 4 of my New Mutants film rewrite is up.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1369014...s-film-rewrite

Oh I've really enjoyed your edits thus far, sunofdarkchild! Well done.

Yeah, I didn't see the movie but I like the characterizations of your rewrite so far!

Also, regarding Captain Marvel 22, it seems she's been captured by Ove(who seems to be the song of Namor and Amora?)?
    It was cute seeing Emma Frost talk so fondly about Illyana, despite her usual no-bullshit coldness. She said something along the lines of "I'm extremely fond of that child, but we both(captain marvel) know that she's extremely powerful"

Quote Originally Posted by lunarmagik View Post
    Yeah, I didn't see the movie but I like the characterizations of your rewrite so far!

Also, regarding Captain Marvel 22, it seems she's been captured by Ove(who seems to be the song of Namor and Amora?)?
    It was cute seeing Emma Frost talk so fondly about Illyana, despite her usual no-bullshit coldness. She said something along the lines of "I'm extremely fond of that child, but we both(captain marvel) know that she's extremely powerful"
    i think is Emma and Namor son.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Magik's gonna die.
    Of course Magik's gonna die.

I mean, if it's a Wednesday.
    Twice on Tuesdays.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lunarmagik View Post

I find that line kind of odd if it's supposed to be 30 years in the future. If Illyana is an adult now, she'd be in her 50s then, so calling her a child seems a little off to me.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I find that line kind of odd if it's supposed to be 30 years in the future. If Illyana is an adult now, she'd be in her 50s then, so calling her a child seems a little off to me.
    Hell Lords don't actually age, and can't really be killed, since their Splinter Realms keep backups and can resurrect (like Mephisto after Franklin Richards fried him.)

They can change shape, though, and so Illyana 2.0 pretends to be in her twenties so people don't get freaked out by having a thirteen year old kicking ass and deciding the fates of billions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    I don't think many people understand the character. The way she was written during AvX imo was spot on. Nearly without emotion, not really understanding how others feel or even really caring; calculating, but menacingly so. By all means she should be an antihero. But once Bendis got his hands on her... She hasn't been the same and it went on so long I think this iteration has become common place. Like Buffy Summers (vamp slayer) but without the bubbly air-headiness she had at Illyanna's age. She wants to keep this world safe, but "safe" is a relative term when the world she grew up in was eternally in flames and populated with demonic beings that all wanted to eat her on some level. Her definitions of "safe", "good", "moral" and "funny" are going to be different than ours. And they should be.
    Missing this Illyana.
    I very much enjoyed and appreciated the Illyana of yesteryear -- pre-Bendis. Zeb Wells & Gillen really leaned into her being so distinctly and tragically (and comically) alien, and rightly so.

I absolutely enjoy Illyana with a dark sense of humor -- but I prefer her dropping Anole into Limbo over her suggesting they rearrange or steal the Avengers' underwear.

All that said, I feel that Illyana was very well done in the most recent issue of New Mutants, tough-loving Doug.
    Last edited by Fokken; 10-22-2020 at 06:06 AM.

Mighty Member

I feel like neither is wrong if you read the original run. She's both of those things. There's so many examples of Magik being equally a goof as she is equally menacing.

This one picture perfectly encapsulates her, and pretending like one or the other is more valid, misses the point.

NEW MUTANTS #15

VITA AYALA (W), ROD REIS (A/C)

ONCE MORE INTO THE CRUCIBLE! As KARMA and DANI delve deeper into their nightmares, a spider sets his eyes on the most vulnerable of the NEW MUTANTS...Meanwhile, in the Wild Hunt, children play at being adults and prepare for the fight of their lives.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Missing this Illyana.
    I very much enjoyed and appreciated the Illyana of yesteryear -- pre-Bendis. Zeb Wells & Gillen really leaned into her being so distinctly and tragically (and comically) alien, and rightly so.

I absolutely enjoy Illyana with a dark sense of humor -- but I prefer her dropping Anole into Limbo over her suggesting they rearrange or steal the Avengers' underwear.

All that said, I feel that Illyana was very well done in the most recent issue of New Mutants, tough-loving Doug.
    I get that. I really like Wells' take but I'm not as enamored with Gillen's. I remember Gillen saying in an interview that he wanted to explore what it meant for Illyana to go from not having a soul to having one and how she's a different person because of that, but he never did or seemed to try to. She babysat Juglossus and had the 'big reveal' which showed how crazy she was, and that was it. There was nothing of what he said he was going to do with the character and he actually did very little overall. Wells' version might have done the same thing, but she had moments where she was something more than just crazy where Gillen's version is almost wallpaper except for her crowning moment of crazy.

As I've said before, I think a big change for Illyana was going from either being feared or hated for what she was and loved for what she wasn't to being accepted for what she was. After Wells' run everyone but Colossus was against her. Kitty hated her guts, her teammates were resentful, Cyclops put a bomb on her. And as far as she was concerned they were right. Colossus in trying to be supportive actually caused more pain by not understanding where she was. It was only after AvX where a group of people, especially Cyclops, truly started to accept her for what she was. 'We know you're really messed up. But that's ok because now we're really messed up too. You don't have to be something you're not with us.' It's only at that point that the healing which should have started after she got her soul back could actually begin. That's at least my headcanon for why she seemed to become more crazy after getting her soul back and then more human after AvX.

The biggest change I'm trying to make in my rewrite is to make it so the others think she's crazy because she's just so weird instead of her being a racist bully. Having spent 10 years in Limbo she is unfamiliar with societal norms and she thinks it's perfectly normal to carry a doll everywhere because it was considered normal the last time she was on earth at the age of 6.

Similar to the shift from Gillen to Bendis, if I do a sequel her weirdness and general lack of knowledge about basic things would be played more for humor, but this would be after she's found acceptance with a group of peers.

I love your take on her thus far, sunofdarkchild. It all makes sense and shows you've really given a lot of thought to her past. I dig it.

Also I super appreciate your steering away from the racist bully thing haha excellent choice!

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G0RM View Post
    Hell Lords don't actually age, and can't really be killed, since their Splinter Realms keep backups and can resurrect (like Mephisto after Franklin Richards fried him.)

They can change shape, though, and so Illyana 2.0 pretends to be in her twenties so people don't get freaked out by having a thirteen year old kicking ass and deciding the fates of billions.

It's been a long time since I've read that story. I was very happy to see Magik get some revenge.