Page 22 of 57 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lucius121 View Post
    Yeah Strange Academy was good, but it's about the kids I don't expect a lot of focus on Yana in that book.
    New Mutants and hopefully Savage Avengers may be the go-to for Illyana fans for now.

Unless Strange Academy is written like Avengers Academy where there's a subplot for teachers, don't expect much.

Also she should be in X-Men #8 unless I mixed the solicits up.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Not trying to start drama, but I don't read a lot of the Marvel comics, so I'm wondering something about Magik.

While I don't read Avengers, I have read about Scarlet Witch a few different times. It always seemed that (to me) Marvel was making SW second only to Dr. Strange as a magic wielder in the MCU.

Now, we've seen Dr. Strange on Krakoa, and he's specifically seeking out Magik.

I was wondering if Magik was ever considered more powerful than SW, and if she wasn't, is that changing in the MCU.

There was a bulk of time where I wasn't reading Marvel at all, so I never read House of M. I'm aware of what happened there, and get that SW causes a lot of mixed feelings, so I'm not trying to start a bash SW trend, I'm just curious if Marvel Comics is giving a bigger push to Magik now, and if she's taking on a more important role in the MCU in a magical capacity, when compared to SW.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    Not trying to start drama, but I don't read a lot of the Marvel comics, so I'm wondering something about Magik.

While I don't read Avengers, I have read about Scarlet Witch a few different times. It always seemed that (to me) Marvel was making SW second only to Dr. Strange as a magic wielder in the MCU.

Now, we've seen Dr. Strange on Krakoa, and he's specifically seeking out Magik.

I was wondering if Magik was ever considered more powerful than SW, and if she wasn't, is that changing in the MCU.

There was a bulk of time where I wasn't reading Marvel at all, so I never read House of M. I'm aware of what happened there, and get that SW causes a lot of mixed feelings, so I'm not trying to start a bash SW trend, I'm just curious if Marvel Comics is giving a bigger push to Magik now, and if she's taking on a more important role in the MCU in a magical capacity, when compared to SW.
    Magik and Scarlet Witch have much in common, except Magik has people interested and protecting her in the X-Office, Wanda doesn't in Avengers. I'm glad she's getting her due, Illyana has consistently been a very powerful character, post-Belasco. The two characters should know of each each or met each other since they both are friends and wards of Stephen Strange. I don't any comics have explored that. Power wise, they both are in the same league.

Mighty Member

In the main marvel universe they're basically about the same level in terms of magic ability.

I'd say the scale tips depending on circumstances.

In Limbo, Magik basically gets a major boost

And the amount of Chthon flowing through Wanda can vastly change her from regular strong to a big problem.

Extraordinary Member

There's more than just magical ability. There's also experience and expertise. Illyana is a trained sorceress and ruler of an entire dimension and a fellow sorcerer supreme who has fought Kulan Gath alongside Strange before. Wanda is known for her frequent meltdowns. She may be more powerful than Magik overall, but even if she is it makes perfect for Strange to trust Illyana over Wanda any day of the week. Plus he went to Krakoa specifically to warn her, not to recruit her.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    There's more than just magical ability. There's also experience and expertise. Illyana is a trained sorceress and ruler of an entire dimension and a fellow sorcerer supreme who has fought Kulan Gath alongside Strange before. Wanda is known for her frequent meltdowns. She may be more powerful than Magik overall, but even if she is it makes perfect for Strange to trust Illyana over Wanda any day of the week. Plus he went to Krakoa specifically to warn her, not to recruit her.
    Not anymore than Magik, Illyana has her own troubles with her demon side taking over and eating people. This made her a villain and person non grata on and off again. She was put in a Suicide Squad like position by Cyclops during the Utopia era and manipulated Colossus into being the Juggernaut (which she could removed at any time) as a means to get him to understand how she felt, afterward he threatened to kill her. That was her when she wasn't letting her demon side take over.

Wanda's breakdowns began after she was possessed by an elder god Chthon, then when she was put in stressful situations where anyone would break down from the pressure. Which were two, I think? Disassembled and House of M. She isn't constantly at risk or requires being institionalized for mental instability. It's not any different from what various X-men have been through, like Cyclops and Jean. Cyclops was possessed by Apocalypse and when the Phoenix took him over he became a dictator over the world. He has no moral high ground over Wanda.

Mighty Member

This is not x-men vs scarlet witch thread #4546464531

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    This is not x-men vs scarlet witch thread #4546464531
    I don't think it is, I like both characters and wasn't pitting them against each other. Among the X-men Magik is who I'd see as someone who she could relate to the most from their experiences and power sets.

Extraordinary Member

Characters get pushes when they get pushes. I think Marvel has mishandled Scarlet Witch ever since Vision was disassembled in the late 80s and that she is another victim of Marvel's inability to tolerate characters being married, so even when she got her pushes in the 2000s it was done very poorly.

As I said, Magik is another sorcerer supreme, not on earth, but in Limbo. She is also a hell-lord. Those are facts which will remain regardless of whether she gets pushes from above or not. She also fought alongside Dr. Strange when Kulan Gath took over New York. She freed him from Gath's imprisonment and they combined their powers to undo the entire event. Wanda spent the entire event under Gath's control fighting against the good guys, one of many heroes to be corrupted by Gath. When Gath returns why wouldn't Strange seek out Magik given how well they worked together the last time?

I do believe Wanda is more powerful than Illyana. The only time I ever remember them "facing off" was in AVX & Wanda came out on top.

However, I do not believe Wanda has ever been shown, in any capacity, as Strange's successor. But there have been a few instances where Magik has been recognized as a strong candidate as the next Sorcerer Supreme...Bendis' Uncanny & What if? Magik come to mind.

Come to think of it, let's just ask Bendis! He is responsible for House of M, Illyana's tutelage under Strange, & had a hand in AVX.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    I do believe Wanda is more powerful than Illyana. The only time I ever remember them "facing off" was in AVX & Wanda came out on top.

However, I do not believe Wanda has ever been shown, in any capacity, as Strange's successor. But there have been a few instances where Magik has been recognized as a strong candidate as the next Sorcerer Supreme...Bendis' Uncanny & What if? Magik come to mind.

Come to think of it, let's just ask Bendis! He is responsible for House of M, Illyana's tutelage under Strange, & had a hand in AVX.
    I don't dispute Magik has shown to be a superior with magic when it comes to being Strange's successor but his history with Wanda has been, shall we say, spotty. LOL It's a shame the two characters haven't had more "screen time" together, they seem so naturally inclined to be in each other's circles via the magic community.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Thanks so much for all the replies! Very interesting to read all the opinions.

new pic

Extraordinary Member

Boone interview with a bit about Lockheed. https://ew.com/movies/the-new-mutant...isie-williams/

That also included finishing up the visuals for Illyana’s sorceress abilities, notably her signature sword that materializes out of her arm, as well as Lockheed, the character’s fan-favorite purple dragon companion in the comic books. “You see a little bit of him there," Boone says of the latest trailer. "I wouldn't say too much more, but I was pleased with how we had him in the world and had him as part of Illyana’s story."

More Magik goodness from "New Mutants"...

https://youtu.be/NYVAjVVzyvk