Page 24 of 57 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Oh thank goodness, I thought I was going bonkers.

Queue obligatory... IT'S YANNA YOU RUBE!!
    Team Yana Bachalo Fanboy Cyclops Was Right

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post

She is amazing.

Incredible Member

In the movie, and in most appearances since Bendis, it seems that Magik is being portrayed as Wolverine with bangs: dismember with extreme prejudice while growling.

Is there much hope to see a more 'subtle' version anytime?

(I'm not precisely complaining; Wolverine appeared in 4 or 5 titles a month for years, and I'd love to see Illyana do the same, which would make SO MUCH MORE SENSE, given that she's a time traveling teleporter, and Logan... isn't)

Mighty Member

G0RM, you hav these takes. And they don't make no god damn sense, but oyu make them and I really don't feel like pointing out how they don't make any god damn sense as comparisons.

Like there's nothing god damn similar between Wolverine and Magik beyond the fact that they enjoy fighting. Which could be attributed to 50 different god damn characters.

I dunno. I think there are plenty of parallels to be drawn here between Yana and Logan.

They both have reputations that make people anxious and even afraid of them.
    They share a history of using intimidation, threats and animalistic violence when faced with opposition/challenges.
    Both often dismiss and/or openly defy established authority.
    Both are prone to (again) Violent, emotional outbursts and/or keeping their "inner demons" in check.
    Both have self loathing martyr like tendencies further reinforcing their heavy lone wolf mentalities.
    They've both murdered people they love.
    They're both easily identifiable by their distinct hairstyles (haha) associated with their aesthetic as well as the unique bladed weaponry they employ.

I've encountered many a reader who has said "Magik is the Wolverine of the New Mutants".

I've seen the paralells as well, but on a less extreme case. I think it helps that she has been portrayed as a roughhousing loose cannon post-Krakoa. Have a real sense that they are going somewhere with it, and possibly somewhere dark. Loving her interactions with Scott in the books this week.

A couple of "news" items for this crew:
    - New Mutants movie pushed along with all other Disney films until the virus blows over. No replacement dates planned yet. All planned media is nixxed as well.
    - The Battle of the Atom podcast #136 (live from C2E2) has some real fun takes on Yana. Highlight was learning where her "goth bangs" came from in Dead Souls. Very sweet story. Speaking of Fokken, how was it? Worth checking out next year?

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    I've seen the paralells as well, but on a less extreme case. I think it helps that she has been portrayed as a roughhousing loose cannon post-Krakoa. Have a real sense that they are going somewhere with it, and possibly somewhere dark. Loving her interactions with Scott in the books this week.

A couple of "news" items for this crew:
    - New Mutants movie pushed along with all other Disney films until the virus blows over. No replacement dates planned yet. All planned media is nixxed as well.
    - The Battle of the Atom podcast #136 (live from C2E2) has some real fun takes on Yana. Highlight was learning where her "goth bangs" came from in Dead Souls. Very sweet story. Speaking of Fokken, how was it? Worth checking out next year?
    I very much enjoyed it. Thanks pandafarmer.
    I..... made an ass of myself when I tried to talk up a favorite artist, but the REST of the experience was definitely rewarding and I'm glad I went.
    What's the story around her goth bangs?

Mighty Member

I really don't get where you guys get this loose cannon idea for Illyana from. She definitely is rough-housing, but she clearly plays everything by the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    I really don't get where you guys get this loose cannon idea for Illyana from. She definitely is rough-housing, but she clearly plays everything by the book.
    Well, she did just recently fuse Dark Beast into a ceiling and decapitated Sabretooth...so there's that.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Well, she did just recently fuse Dark Beast into a ceiling and decapitated Sabretooth...so there's that.
    Did you miss the post-krakoa part of that discussion or...?

Yes, yes I did

Well...

In her younger days, she often encouraged breaking Headmaster Magneto's curfew, defied authority/instruction/direct order on several occasions, (and in no particular order) making brash decisions like wisking away Berto and Rahne to Limbo to try magically restoring them during the Cloak and Dagger arc, running off to Bird Brain's island, teaming up to teach Empath a lesson, skipping out on training exercises like the one against the Marauders, going to the future to learn their fates and fighting their future counterparts with her brother Mikhail, refusing to leave the Starjammer ship, attempting necromancy to resurrect her brother, and then years later condemning him to host the demonic power of Cytorrak, she manipulated and endangered the lives of her family and friends and reality itself to settle her vendetta with the elder gods -- which lead to her being incarcerated in the X-brig complete with incendiary prison jacket, all her wacky behavior as a Phoenix host, etc etc)

EDIT: Apparently I too have missed some very important "post Krakoa" detail in this debate.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Well...

In her younger days, she often encouraged breaking Headmaster Magneto's curfew, defied authority/instruction/direct order on several occasions, (and in no particular order) making brash decisions like wisking away Berto and Rahne to Limbo to try magically restoring them during the Cloak and Dagger arc, running off to Bird Brain's island, teaming up to teach Empath a lesson, skipping out on training exercises like the one against the Marauders, going to the future to learn their fates and fighting their future counterparts with her brother Mikhail, refusing to leave the Starjammer ship, attempting necromancy to resurrect her brother, and then years later condemning him to host the demonic power of Cytorrak, she manipulated and endangered the lives of her family and friends and reality itself to settle her vendetta with the elder gods -- which lead to her being incarcerated in the X-brig complete with incendiary prison jacket, all her wacky behavior as a Phoenix host, etc etc)
    Second verse, same as the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I very much enjoyed it. Thanks pandafarmer.
    I..... made an ass of myself when I tried to talk up a favorite artist, but the REST of the experience was definitely rewarding and I'm glad I went.
    What's the story around her goth bangs?
    I'm glad! Don't worry about making an ass of yourself, I think we all have moments of gob-smack when we meet favorite creators of any field.

Short version... the artist was playing around with looks for the book and went to go pick up his young daughter from school. She had taken a pair of saftey scissors to bangs in a bout of young self-expression/curiosity and stopped midway after panicing a bit. The bonding experience that resulted gave him the spark to try the look with her since he was already leaning "goth/punk" in her "off hours" look.