Page 37 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    What’s the problem with it being a Magik limites series? Some characters are simply more popular or better than others and Marvel is likely developing her for the big screen or streaming. A major actress plays Magik in
    The New Mutants and because of the other films Anya Taylor-Joy is in, I can see them keeping her for the MCU. Some characters are just meant to be big.
    Because its NOT a Magik mini series. If this was marketed as Empyre: Magik, that would be a different story but it wasnt. She's not even a member of X-Corps

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Because its NOT a Magik mini series. If this was marketed as Empyre: Magik, that would be a different story but it wasnt. She's not even a member of X-Corps
    She’s the most developed character in the story and most likely the main rising star. Feige controls all Marvel properties and the comics are there to give rise to new movie and tv material.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I dont think the problem is that she's too powerful. There is just too much panel time focused on her. .
    I have to agree on that. I don't like when characters are in too many books at the same time. I hate it when it's those I don't care about, like Logan, Ororo or Scott. I obsvisouly hate it less when it's a favorite of mine, but I'd rather see this panel time used for Hellion or Mercury.

Also I'd take quality over quantity.

I should be happy about Krakoa era Magik. She is not stuck with Muh Brother or Miss Too-Good-To-Be-A-New-Mutant anymore, she got a leadership position, she appears a lot... But yet all this feels empty. When is the last time she had signifiant interactions with a character? I mean, besides banter? And her personnality is just set on "grumpy scary badass" without any deep.
    The most interesting Illyana, recently, has been the alternate one from Leah William's stories.

She needs a mini series, or at least a one shot. Maybe one of those giant size stuff. Something that tells us who she is now instead of her going fuck, marry, kill on everything she crosses.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    I have to agree on that. I don't like when characters are in too many books at the same time. I hate it when it's those I don't care about, like Logan, Ororo or Scott. I obsvisouly hate it less when it's a favorite of mine, but I'd rather see this panel time used for Hellion or Mercury.

Also I'd take quality over quantity.

I should be happy about Krakoa era Magik. She is not stuck with Muh Brother or Miss Too-Good-To-Be-A-New-Mutant anymore, she got a leadership position, she appears a lot... But yet all this feels empty. When is the last time she had signifiant interactions with a character? I mean, besides banter? And her personnality is just set on "grumpy scary badass" without any deep.
    The most interesting Illyana, recently, has been the alternate one from Leah William's stories.

She needs a mini series, or at least a one shot. Maybe one of those giant size stuff. Something that tells us who she is now instead of her going fuck, marry, kill on everything she crosses.
    You guys are just unhappy complainers. More popular characters appear in more books. That’s just the way it is. You don’t have to buy something if you don’t like it.

If I did not enjoy Magik’s appearance in Empire I would not buy it. Why pay for something you don’t like?

You guys are just unhappy complainers. More popular characters appear in more books. That’s just the way it is. You don’t have to buy something if you don’t like it.

If I did not enjoy Magik’s appearance in Empire I would not buy it. Why pay for something you don’t like?
    It's a vicious circle. The more they appear, the more readers are familiar with them and the more they get popular and the more they appear. Editors or writers should force less exposed characters in the stories whenever it's possible to give them a chance to appeal to he readers.

And like I said, my main complain with Illyana is that we get quantity over quality.
    I'd trade all her guest appearances in several series for regular appearances in a single series where she gets some depth again.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

I understand both sides here...

On one hand, I love how much Illyana we are getting! Between the comics & the film FINALLY coming out, it's Magik's world and we are all just passing through.

And on the other hand, with so many appearances by so many writers, her personality definitely becomes jumbled. Instead of one writer really getting to flesh out the character, we get multiple writers dipping their toes in the shallow end of "sarcastic", "temperamental", "aggressive", & "edgy". As much flak as Rosenberg gets, I think his Illyana has been the best we have seen recently.

I do want to point out though, it is not like this happened overnight. She has been built up by some great writers since her return in 2008. It has been a relatively slow burn that has been heating up to this inevitable inferno

Just look at the current landscape. We have a feature film that has been active for 2.5 years. A huge event on the horizon about magical swords. And a "Captain" title assigned by Hickman (the guy running the whole show for the moment). It really should not be a surprise we are seeing her all over the place.

Mighty Member

I know people on this forum hate brisson's run (I really don't know why. It's inoffensive at worst.) but he's legitimately doing an arc with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    I know people on this forum hate brisson's run (I really don't know why. It's inoffensive at worst.) but he's legitimately doing an arc with her.
    Which arc is this?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Which arc is this?
    I mean it's not even subtle the whole DOX/responsibility for the young mutants thing. And I don't mean saving them on missions.

It's one of the two obvious storylines Brisson has set up.

Illyana running the Sextant (and all the baggage that comes with) and The twins learning to be real people and not sociopaths.
    Last edited by Woozie; 08-18-2020 at 07:21 AM.

Because there are other characters there besides Magik. Empyre #1 started off showcasing Warren, Monet and Madrox prominently before they quickly fell to the sidelines in the subsequent issues

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    I mean it's not even subtle the whole DOX/responsibility for the young mutants thing. And I don't mean saving them on missions.

It's one of the two obvious storylines Brisson has set up.

Illyana running the Sextant (and all the baggage that comes with) and The twins learning to be real people and not sociopaths.
    I mean, there were a few panels scattered between 3 issues. I am not sure I would consider that much of an arc just yet.

I still prefer Zeb Wells and Kierron Gillen's Illyana over the current writers.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    I mean, there were a few panels scattered between 3 issues. I am not sure I would consider that much of an arc just yet.
    Sure, but it seems pretty damn obvious. Since those are the only things referenced repeatedly across issues that aren't whatever current arc the characters are on.

Extraordinary Member

What was with the spell she casts just to summon a stepping disk?