Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I am very curious to see what they actually consider her mutant ability...if it's just the stepping disks or of they will somehow tie her sword and armor into a mutant ability as well, I hope not. I would love to see a close to original origin for her.
    Hmm, they were planning for this to be multiple movies so they might not give an explanation for her Soulsword (is it mutant ability or from limbo?). They were prob gonna save Limbo for a future movie.

How likely do you think it is that they'll meet the April 13th release date this time around?
    Pretty confident. It seems the movie's been done. FOX wanted to change it so they delayed it. Disney isn't doing reshoots nor do they want to change it (that'd cost lots of money), so the only thing the movie really needed was for them to remove mentions of the XMEN and that universe.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Some more things I noticed in the trailer.

Illyana does NOT answer Cecelia's question about the first time she manifested her powers. Her 'I killed 18 men' line is from a completely different scene. The chair and room are different and she's strapped to a lie detector, which none of the characters are strapped to in the questioning scene. I would hazard a guess they play up the mystery aspect and she doesn't give an answer to the question in that scene in the full movie.

Illyana and Cecelia are the only characters who smile at all in the trailer. It's an odd reversal from how it would be in the original comics when she would be by far the most miserable character, but it's something that separates her from the rest.

I'm pretty sure the little version of Illyana is in the shot where the 2 bald masked demon guys are leaning over the bed. There's blonde hair there.

Overall, Illyana gives off an air of confidence in herself no one else seems to have in the trailer, particularly in her 2 lines, but also when using her powers. I think she does have more experience than the others and may be there by choice and not as a prisoner like the rest of them. Unless that force field is mystical in nature she should be able to just leave any time she wants, and she was smiling when she called the facility a cage.
    Great catches, sunofdarkchild!

Going over the previews frame-by-frame seems to be mining lots of rich veins of info, like Lockheed's appearance breathing fire etc.

I hope the entire film is packed with Easter Eggs that require careful rewatching.

2 years of reshoots should contain something, hopefully lots of things, worth waiting for.

Incredible Member

I’m not that keen seeing Magik dominate the New Mutants movie. From the classic New Mutants comics, each character were important in their own right. I also think it’s a shame Karma isn’t in it.
    Last edited by 244; 01-06-2020 at 07:28 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by G0RM View Post
    Great catches, sunofdarkchild!

Going over the previews frame-by-frame seems to be mining lots of rich veins of info, like Lockheed's appearance breathing fire etc.

I hope the entire film is packed with Easter Eggs that require careful rewatching.

2 years of reshoots should contain something, hopefully lots of things, worth waiting for.
    Supposedly there were no reshoots at all. They couldn't get the actors back before the Disney merger and Disney just decided to release the movie as Boone originally intended instead of meddling with it like Kinberg had intended to.

Also, the movie is coming out April 3, not April 13. It was supposed to come out on Friday the 13, but there isn't a Friday the 13 this April.

Illyana is posturing with that lie detector scene. And I bet that scene of bodies in the snow is actually the Bear's doing -- not Illyana's flashback -- just like Roberto's pool scene is actually him being haunted in the facility by the memory of his burned girlfriend, and not what actually went down when his powers first manifested.

I believe she's genuinely triggered/terrified when running through the halls with Sam. Despite the insistence that Yana is a supreme badass at all times, anyone who has followed her character since the mini where she became a sorceress knows she is incredibly sensitive and the majority of her tough girl act is a tough girl act, largely as a defense mechanism. Overcoming her fear or acting despite her fear is a big part of Yana's center.

I cannot wait to own this movie.

Interesting to note that she's teleporting even though there is a huge ass hole in the building. It will be interesting to see.

My guess is they will be playing up Yana as a mysterious potential bad guy. Anyone who has read the books knows how this should shake out, but the big reveal for the regular movie goers is that Dani's powers are causing or contributing to the horrors.

Oh and I saw a spoiler for tomorrow's New Mutants book. Our girl has a pretty awesome page that I'm sure we'll all be chatting about tomorrow.
    Last edited by pandafarmer; 01-07-2020 at 07:13 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Looking at the trailer I very much doubt they're going to position Illyana as a potential villain. She's too clearly 'with' the rest of the group, plus Cecelia is the one being positioned as the villain. It's always possible the trailer has 'given away' the twist like Terminator 2's trailer did, but I think Boone would not be that careless.

I do think they'll play up the mystery of how she got her powers and possibly save the reveal that she's more than just a mutant for later in the movie. But I think the trailer ended on a showcase of what she can do because she's being positioned as the big cool action hero of the film.

To compare with 2000's X-Men, Dani is Rogue, the young POV character the bad guy is after, while Magik is Wolverine, the cool-looking one with the one liners and big action scenes.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Looking at the trailer I very much doubt they're going to position Illyana as a potential villain. She's too clearly 'with' the rest of the group, plus Cecelia is the one being positioned as the villain. It's always possible the trailer has 'given away' the twist like Terminator 2's trailer did, but I think Boone would not be that careless.

I do think they'll play up the mystery of how she got her powers and possibly save the reveal that she's more than just a mutant for later in the movie. But I think the trailer ended on a showcase of what she can do because she's being positioned as the big cool action hero of the film.

To compare with 2000's X-Men, Dani is Rogue, the young POV character the bad guy is after, while Magik is Wolverine, the cool-looking one with the one liners and big action scenes.
    Do we think Magik purposely "lets herself" be taken to this facility in order to combat whatever supernatural presence lurks within? And that could be the kernel of the mystery that leads into her big like action scene
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Do we think Magik purposely "lets herself" be taken to this facility in order to combat whatever supernatural presence lurks within? And that could be the kernel of the mystery that leads into her big like action scene
    I think that may be the case. If the forcefield keeping them in is from Cecelia and not supernatural in itself it should not be able to stop Illyana from just teleporting out. It would also explain why she smiles when telling Dani they're in a cage.

There are several possible explanations for why she'd stay there when she could easily escape. It could be she's there to fight a supernatural threat. It's possible that she thinks of herself as so dangerous she'd submit to anything to keep herself in check. It could even be that she's there at Xavier's behest to see what's going on, since being Colossus' little sister gives her a possible pre-existing connection with Xavier.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

There are several possible explanations for why she'd stay there when she could easily escape. It's possible that she thinks of herself as so dangerous she'd submit to anything to keep herself in check. It could even be that she's there at Xavier's behest to see what's going on, since being Colossus' little sister gives her a possible pre-existing connection with Xavier.
    I like the "she thinks she is dangerous and trying to control herself" one.

The "agent for Xavier" hmm I like it but not as much also I doubt it , given the nature of this film as a one-off
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

A bit late but god, Anya Taylor is just perfect for Yana, it is such a tragedy she probably will be play her on this movie.

Looking at the trailer I very much doubt they're going to position Illyana as a potential villain.
    Yeah I was more thinking it was a wrench in the building mystery... do we trust (as the audience) the "bitch?" Only to have her come in and help save the day. I'd love it if she gets the killing blow like in the comics.

I don't think they'll go too deep in the Limbo mythos in this movie. Just too much going on here. I think we have to be prepared for them to basically tell the audience as little as possible on that end. We know they touch on something there thanks to kid-Yana, but I doubt they'll spend a ton of time on the deeper backstory like people hope.

Incredible Member

So how is Magik’s character gonna be self-contained for the New Mutants movie?

Incredible Member

I love that UXM (2018) #21 came out on Marvel Unlimited this week, with Magik throwing a fit, annihilating O.N.E. and curbstomping Juggernaut within seconds after going Full Darkchilde

I personally feel it was one of her examples of "Over Acting" that she does sometimes, hamming up a big dramatic display, with multiple examples throughout her run, contrasting when she's subtle and concealed for years at a time on other occasions

I don't believe for a moment that Illyana actually lost her mutant powers, but instead taking the opportunity to ironically destroy O.N.E. just when Callahan thought he had her under his control (you might have noticed Magik gets rebellious when bullies try to dominate her, Illyana subbing to no one {well, maybe Kitty & Leah... :-}

I also noticed that the semi-conscious Hope said "I have her powers" right after Illyana's powers had been allegedly neutralized, which I take as confirmation of the deception

Seeing the Darkchilde crushing the Crimson Gem of Cyttorak in her claw after shrivelling Juggernaut reminded me of her fight against S'ym in Inferno, or making Dormammu beg on his knees: pulling out all stops when necessary, in between times of being 'The Nice One' or pretending to get 'Knocked Out' so the rest of the group can shine
    Attached Images Attached Images