Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 401
  1. #106
    spit and hades! Andru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucius121 View Post
    I have never bought the whole asexual thing for Yana anyway it always seemed more like fans wanting to tick boxes more than any real evidence shown from the character.
    The fact that she is one of the only characters I can think of (I am sure there are more) who has not had any type of romantic relationship/feelings with/for another person is pretty good evidence she could be asexual.

  2. #107
    Fantastic Member ermac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    480

    Default

    I don't get the "fuck or fight" joke. Would never imagine Illy saying that...

  3. #108
    Incredible Member Astroman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    523

    Default

    It's been years since I read it but didn't Claremont imply in the original Magik mini-series that there was a certain amount of hedonism going on in Limbo that she was a part of.

  4. #109
    spit and hades! Andru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    It's been years since I read it but didn't Claremont imply in the original Magik mini-series that there was a certain amount of hedonism going on in Limbo that she was a part of.
    Ummm, definitely not

  5. #110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    The fact that she is one of the only characters I can think of (I am sure there are more) who has not had any type of romantic relationship/feelings with/for another person is pretty good evidence she could be asexual.
    If we don’t count au versions than she hasn’t but that’s not evidence. The fact is the majority of stories she has been written in ever since she became an adult haven’t really had room for it.

  6. #111
    Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,512

    Default

    I read it as her attempt at witty banter and it being as off as you'd expect from someone raised by demons. I doubt she thought there was any real chance of someone actually taking her up on it and was always just a precursor to a fight. I loved it, really loved the whole issue.

  7. #112
    spit and hades! Andru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucius121 View Post
    If we don’t count au versions than she hasn’t but that’s not evidence. The fact is the majority of stories she has been written in ever since she became an adult haven’t really had room for it.
    How is it not evidence? Someone can surely make a strong case based on just that. If all of the other New Mutants throughout their 30+ year history can have even a panel of romantic interest for someone else, surely there was plenty of room for Illyana.

    I don't have a dog in the fight. It doesn't matter to me whether she is/is not asexual. I just don't think it is fair to say someone who believes she is asexual is just "ticking a box".

    Quote Originally Posted by Kisinith View Post
    I read it as her attempt at witty banter and it being as off as you'd expect from someone raised by demons. I doubt she thought there was any real chance of someone actually taking her up on it and was always just a precursor to a fight. I loved it, really loved the whole issue.
    It was indeed witty banter. Never did I think she would be swapping spit in the next panel if someone had said yes...But then again, never thought she would propose it either.

  8. #113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    How is it not evidence? Someone can surely make a strong case based on just that. If all of the other New Mutants throughout their 30+ year history can have even a panel of romantic interest for someone else, surely there was plenty of room for Illyana.

    I don't have a dog in the fight. It doesn't matter to me whether she is/is not asexual. I just don't think it is fair to say someone who believes she is asexual is just "ticking a box".



    It was indeed witty banter. Never did I think she would be swapping spit in the next panel if someone had said yes...But then again, never thought she would propose it either.
    We'll have to agree to disagree, the whole 30+ year history is misleading given she spent quite a few years of that history as a child or dead, and you ignore the au versions of yana who have been in relationships. I think it's reach to say she's anything and if 616 yana is shown to ever actually be in a relationship I'm sure the same people who are reaching will claim it is out if character.

    But enough of the back and forth, I really enjoyed this issue I'd interested to see why her friends referrer to her an an animal though.

    yana10212.jpg

  9. #114
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kisinith View Post
    I read it as her attempt at witty banter and it being as off as you'd expect from someone raised by demons. I doubt she thought there was any real chance of someone actually taking her up on it and was always just a precursor to a fight. I loved it, really loved the whole issue.
    Right. Banter designed to unsettle because that’s what our Snowflake does.

  10. #115
    spit and hades! Andru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucius121 View Post
    We'll have to agree to disagree, the whole 30+ year history is misleading given she spent quite a few years of that history as a child or dead, and you ignore the au versions of yana who have been in relationships. I think it's reach to say she's anything and if 616 yana is shown to ever actually be in a relationship I'm sure the same people who are reaching will claim it is out if character.

    But enough of the back and forth, I really enjoyed this issue I'd interested to see why her friends referrer to her an an animal though.

    yana10212.jpg
    I am not sure how an alternate version of Illyana has any influence on the 616 version? And in terms of the 30+ years...Doug was dead for even longer but still had a crush on Psylocke and had a little fling with Wolfsbane. And OK, let's remove her time as a child & when she was dead...She has still been back for 10 years now.

    I get that you do not find Illyana asexual and I respect your opinion. I personally don't agree with those who consider her a lesbian. However, I wouldn't dismiss them as "ticking a box".

  11. #116
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,707

    Default

    Illyana was depicted as having a crush on Sunspot back in the 80s. Plus it's possible to read her interactions with Doug during the Claremont run in a romantic light considering how overprotective of him she seemed before Simonson took over. I've thought for a long time that Simonson's entire run would have made a lot more sense in and of itself and been more consistent with Claremont's run if she made Illyana the one who liked Doug instead of Rahne.

  12. #117
    Ultimate Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    17,036

    Default

    I also prefer the notice of Illyana as asexual and that tends to fit more in line with most portrayals of her. It makes her unique among others as well

  13. #118
    spit and hades! Andru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Illyana was depicted as having a crush on Sunspot back in the 80s. Plus it's possible to read her interactions with Doug during the Claremont run in a romantic light considering how overprotective of him she seemed before Simonson took over. I've thought for a long time that Simonson's entire run would have made a lot more sense in and of itself and been more consistent with Claremont's run if she made Illyana the one who liked Doug instead of Rahne.
    I always interpreted that as Illyana "playing" with Bobby because she knew she made him (and Rahne) uncomfortable. She did the same with Empath.

    Am I missing something specific?

  14. #119
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    I always interpreted that as Illyana "playing" with Bobby because she knew she made him (and Rahne) uncomfortable. She did the same with Empath.

    Am I missing something specific?
    It wasn't just playing. It was also what she thought to herself, whether it be in her first issue with the team when she was watching them play in the snow or when she saw an aged version of him approach in the annual where Doug and Psylocke had their thing and thought to herself it was a "yummy improvement." The biggest moment between them was when he mistook the demons of Limbo trying to help Illyana for trying to hurt her and came to the rescue. When he said he'd have done the same for any New Mutant and she replied "what matters, chum, is that you did it for me." That whole scene had a romantic edge to it from both sides. At the very least the fact that she thought about Roberto in the same manner in which she teased paints the teasing as more genuine.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 01-08-2020 at 01:20 PM.

  15. #120
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    It wasn't just playing. It was also what she thought to herself, whether it be in her first issue with the team when she was watching them play in the snow or when she saw an aged version of him approach in the annual where Doug and Psylocke had their thing and thought to herself it was a "yummy improvement." The biggest moment between them was when he mistook the demons of Limbo trying to help Illyana for trying to hurt her and came to the rescue. When he said he'd have done the same for any New Mutant and she replied "what matters, chum, is that you did it for me." That whole scene had a romantic edge to it from both sides. At the very least the fact that she thought about Roberto in the same manner in which she teased paints the teasing as more genuine.
    I personally hate it when writers use the word "chum" just rides me the wrong way, no matter how old the book is

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •