Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Janet Van Dyne: The Wasp Appreciation 2020

Welcome to 2020, Janet. After a crazy 2019, let's see how 2020 goes for the Winsome Wasp.

Happy New Year to the Winsome Wasp .

AOW 5 came out today and while Jan had some decent action, T'Challa called her expandable and Okoye called her a misfit. Her being in this book is honestly becoming insulting at this point. Tired of her recieving a minor character treatment.

I gave up on comics. I'm hoping she gets added to Marvel Super War and the upcoming Avengers game this year

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    AOW 5 came out today and while Jan had some decent action, T'Challa called her expandable and Okoye called her a misfit. Her being in this book is honestly becoming insulting at this point. Tired of her recieving a minor character treatment.
    What? Seriously ?

I'm sorry to say, it's true... but both comments refer to the entire team, not just Janet.

Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I'm sorry to say, it's true... but both comments refer to the entire team, not just Janet.

Yes. I was pretty annoyed as Janet and Bobbi fan.

@emibot on twitter

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Here’s hoping that in 2020 the Marvel editorial staff will remember that Jan is a fashion designer.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Here’s hoping that in 2020 the Marvel editorial staff will remember that Jan is a fashion designer.
    Honestly, that's just such a fun aspect of Jan's character. I love it a lot, and in some ways, sets her apart.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Yes. I was pretty annoyed as Janet and Bobbi fan.
    To be fair, neither Jan nor Bobbi were specifically called that. It was Okoye's general description of the team as a whole -- and its valid. The group includes a werewolf, a vampire, a Brood, a talking gorilla, a Tarzan knock off, etc. "Misfits and monsters" is a good general description of the team.

However, I expect that Jan and Bobbi are the two members of the group that Okoye would be most satisfied with and approve of. They've got the skill, the attitude, the professionalism, etc.

That said, I expect she has some reservations about both of them too, just based on her own experience and upbringing. Although Jan is a proven leader, warrior, etc, she also can still come across as "flighty" at times (its just a part of her personality, even though we all know the steel that lies beneath) and she's an heiress and a fashion designer who for a good part of her Avengers career was into superheroing "for the fun of it". As someone who was trained as a warrior from childhood, Okoye might look down a Jan a bit for that.

As for Bobbi, her potential problem could have more to do with the fighting style that led to Bobbi's choice of codename as "Mockingbird" -- a steady stream of chatter, jokes and trash talk to distract her foes and undermine them. Until very recently, the Dora Milaje were not permitted to speak to anyone other than their king and their fellow Dora Milaje. Since she spent the majority of her life in near silence, Bobbi's joking may irk her somewhat.

That said, I still believe Wasp and Mockingbird are the two Agents of Wakanda that Okoye most approves of and has the least objections to.

The "expendable" comment...that comes down to "King T'Challa" vs T'Challa the man. T'Challa the man would not view any of the team as "expendable", especially not Janet who has been a friend of his for many years. But the King of Wakanda, who has to make life or death decisions for an entire nation, and who originally joined the Avengers in order to evaluate them as a potential threat to Wakanda, etc...that T'Challa would view the team as "expendable" in the interests of protecting his own people.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not happy to see Wasp or Mockingbird lumped in with those descriptions either. But I do recognize that neither one was directed specifically at Bobbi or Jan.

BANNED

Tales to Astonish #63 Jan 1965
    "The Gangsters and the Giant!"
    While practicing their size-changing abilities and exercising, Giant-Man and the Wasp
    are interrupted by a visit from a police officer, asking them to visit the police chief.
    Giant-Man rushes to the police station utilizing his size-changing abilities
    and the Wasp is driven there by the police officer.

The police chief asks them to investigate a criminal named the Wrecker,
    who has been extorting store owners in the Brownsville area of Brooklyn.
    He is threatening to burn down the stores, if the owners don't pay for protection.

Resuming their civilian guises of Henry Pym and Janet van Dyne, the two heroes go to Brownsville,
    where they notice that the owner of Smith's Hardware is selling his store, in order to get out of the area,
    not wanting to bow down to the Wrecker. Seeing it and an opportunity to stop the Wrecker,
    Pym and van Dyne buy the hardware store to bait a trap for the crook.

A few days later, furious that the hardware store is still in operation,
    the Wrecker sends some thugs to force Henry and Janet to pay protection money.
    The two heroes throw out the thugs without donning their costumes. This brings praise from other store owners,

but angers the Wrecker, who initiates plan W.

Using a number of underlings to keep local police busy, the Wrecker appears at the hardware store
    to deal with Pym and van Dyne personally, but he and his thugs are attacked by Giant-Man and the Wasp.
    During the battle the Wasp is sprayed with DDT,

causing Giant-Man to go on a rampage and easily defeat the crooks,
    tossing the Wrecker out for the other store owners to handle.
    While Giant-Man checks to see if the Wasp is okay expressing his true feelings for her,
    the police arrive and unmask the Wrecker, revealing him to be Mr. Smith, the original owner of
    the hardware store. With their mission accomplished, the two heroes return home on a flying ant.

Script by Stan Lee, art by Carl Burgos and Chic Stone

Growth capsule? Was that how Wasp’s powers used to work?

Quote Originally Posted by Modamy View Post
    Growth capsule? Was that how Wasp’s powers used to work?
    It's how Ant-Man's power used to work too.

Yeah, it was only later that the continued exposure to the Pym particles gave them that power innately. Scott Lang actually still relies on them, and Nadia keeps a supply in her suit (as shown in Ironheart's finale, it turned out that Nadia gave Riri some). Cassie is innate as well.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman