Page 22 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Why do I sometimes get the same vibe with all the more powerful black male mutants? We get teased that Synch and Darwin are important and being used for important mission, while Bishop is picked up and put on team. We see these moves made to give service to diversity, just to see all 3 pushed to the side and forgotten. I can't wait to see how Bishop's role changes when Avita starts writing this book.
    Because for some people (including, if not especially, certain black people) empty lip service to diversity is as good as the real thing. The X-Men has always been a franchise primarily about attractive white mutants dealing with oppression in clear attempts to associate their struggle with that of black Americans. All while failing on multiple levels to actually include said black folks in the narrative in a substantial way.

It's the white liberal equivalent of supporting BLM then proceeding to clutch their purse tighter whenever a black male walks by. For many if not most X-fans (including the black ones), Synch getting an appearance in one issue of X-Men is enough. Bishop getting promoted to Red Bishop is great character development and should be lauded.

Creators and fans in comics by and large don't care about or are actively against diversity so the status quo of white characters having 90%+ of the relevance is maintained and defended. Sometimes even preemptively, so that whenever a black character even remotely gets focus people are quick to complain. Can you imagine if Bishop got as much focus as Kitty was getting in Marauders? All the bitching and moaning that would've come over this forum and others like it?

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Because for some people (including, if not especially, certain black people) empty lip service to diversity is as good as the real thing. The X-Men has always been a franchise primarily about attractive white mutants dealing with oppression in clear attempts to associate their struggle with that of black Americans. All while failing on multiple levels to actually include said black folks in the narrative in a substantial way.

It's the white liberal equivalent of supporting BLM then proceeding to clutch their purse tighter whenever a black male walks by. For many if not most X-fans (including the black ones), Synch getting an appearance in one issue of X-Men is enough. Bishop getting promoted to Red Bishop is great character development and should be lauded.

Creators and fans in comics by and large don't care about or are actively against diversity so the status quo of white characters having 90%+ of the relevance is maintained and defended. Sometimes even preemptively, so that whenever a black character even remotely gets focus people are quick to complain. Can you imagine if Bishop got as much focus as Kitty was getting in Marauders? All the bitching and moaning that would've come over this forum and others like it?
    Lol, I would love to see that. Even if for 3 issues. It's hard to call out racist mentality of some fans when many writers low agree with regressive ideas about black male presence as heroes.

It's like they're telling us, "We gave you a Black character, you should be satisfied."

Bishop is mentioned in today's X-Men issue! In the data pages he's said to be tracking all the training being done on Danger Island and has volunteered to preside over the first mutant war college!

It would've been nice to see him in the actual issue but this is some nice setup for what they've got planned for him this year upcoming year. Training the next batch of defense for the island is definitely something that seems up his alley. I'd love for this to be a new XSE for him to lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    Bishop is mentioned in today's X-Men issue! In the data pages he's said to be tracking all the training being done on Danger Island and has volunteered to preside over the first mutant war college!

It would've been nice to see him in the actual issue but this is some nice setup for what they've got planned for him this year upcoming year. Training the next batch of defense for the island is definitely something that seems up his alley. I'd love for this to be a new XSE for him to lead.
    Excellent, about damn time that he is being mentioned doing something of note, now we wait to see it on paper proper!

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post

All they have to do now is make it mean something. Great that they gave him something else to put on his to do list but let's see some tangibles.

The data page while nice doesn't really mean a damn thing. The data page basically means it isn't even worthy of a panel. Cyclops has been shown acting as a Captain, Magik has been shown, hell even Gorgon has and he's not even on a team. I want to visually see Captain Bishop.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    The data page while nice doesn't really mean a damn thing. The data page basically means it isn't even worthy of a panel. Cyclops has been shown acting as a Captain, Magik has been shown, hell even Gorgon has and he's not even on a team. I want to visually see Captain Bishop.
    This. Action speaks louder than words. Until we get a scene of him training mutants or leading the charge all this data page info is just set up. It's nice to see, but it could end up just being worldbuilding and therefore not relevant to his actual character.

This. Action speaks louder than words. Until we get a scene of him training mutants or leading the charge all this data page info is just set up. It's nice to see, but it could end up just being worldbuilding and therefore not relevant to his actual character.
    For real bruh, and I know some ppl will be excited about the mention and are going to be waiting patiently for something that may never amount to anything but I'm done with that crap. I patiently waited 20 years for Synch to return and he instantly gets sent off to comic exile. I've waited patiently for Bishop to be redeemed after blatant character assassination and I'm supposed to be satisfied because of a new haircut? Naw that ain't cutting it and neither is two sentences on a worthless data page.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    For real bruh, and I know some ppl will be excited about the mention and are going to be waiting patiently for something that may never amount to anything but I'm done with that crap. I patiently waited 20 years for Synch to return and he instantly gets sent off to comic exile. I've waited patiently for Bishop to be redeemed after blatant character assassination and I'm supposed to be satisfied because of a new haircut? Naw that ain't cutting it and neither is two sentences on a worthless data page.
    Cool that we all are on code fam! Bishop is a character that held it down with his own series, and one that didn't have the help of all the other X-Men in it. Even then his full potential was barely touched on. Its mad crazy how hard it is to show black male heroes doing their thing.

Hopefully Bishop will play some part in Kate's plan to get even with Shaw.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Cool that we all are on code fam! Bishop is a character that held it down with his own series, and one that didn't have the help of all the other X-Men in it. Even then his full potential was barely touched on. Its mad crazy how hard it is to show black male heroes doing their thing.
    I would read a Bishop series over the Kid Cable series I just dropped.

New S.W.O.R.D. book coming out. Bishop should have been a member of the team.

I wonder what will the 4 captains be doing in X of Swords?

Well since there's nothing happening with Bishop in the comics currently, just a reminder of a badass dude.

Still like this look the best.