Page 24 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thursday July 23, 2020 11:00am – 12:00pm
    Comic-Con@Home
    1: Programs, Books, Kids

11:00am

Batgirls!
    Watch When Available!
    YouTube: https://youtu.be/YI5efMvwXBE
    Odds are, when most people hear the name "Batgirl, " the first character to come to mind is Barbara Gordon, Commissioner Gordon's daughter. First appearing in 1967, she's been a comic mainstay, first as Batgirl and then as Oracle. But as is tradition in the Bat-family, when things happen, the cowl can been passed from hero to hero. From Stephanie Brown to Cassandra Cain to The Bat Girls, each having a wildly different take on the role of caped crusader. Join Cecil Castellucci (Batgirl -Barbara Gordon), Sarah Kuhn (Batgirl -Cassandra Cain), Bryan Q. Miller (Batgirl -Stephanie Brown), Nancy Kiu (Batwoman -Kate Kane), Marieke Nijkamp (Oracle -Barbara Gordon) and Dr. Andrea Letamendi (The Arkham Sessions) who have brought these different iconic versions of Batgirl to life in a celebration of what makes them different and what makes them Batgirl.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/thur...nhome-is-here/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Comic-Con@Home

Batgirls!
    Watch When Available!
    Odds are, when most people hear the name "Batgirl, " the first character to come to mind is Barbara Gordon, Commissioner Gordon's daughter. First appearing in 1967, she's been a comic mainstay, first as Batgirl and then as Oracle. But as is tradition in the Bat-family, when things happen, the cowl can been passed from hero to hero. From Stephanie Brown to Cassandra Cain to The Bat Girls, each having a wildly different take on the role of caped crusader. Join Cecil Castellucci (Batgirl -Barbara Gordon), Sarah Kuhn (Batgirl -Cassandra Cain), Bryan Q. Miller (Batgirl -Stephanie Brown), Nancy Kiu (Batwoman -Kate Kane), Marieke Nijkamp (Oracle -Barbara Gordon) and Dr. Andrea Letamendi (The Arkham Sessions) who have brought these different iconic versions of Batgirl to life in a celebration of what makes them different and what makes them Batgirl.

Bryan Q. Miller??????
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Comic-Con@Home

Batgirls!
    Watch When Available!

I didn't even know they were having any DC panels. Cool .

I'd be interested in which characterization of Cass people like most - she's had several, like most comic characters. And, of course, there are always those that prefer amalgam versions (which is my thing with Superman). And which setting and which characters around her you like best. And for what time period in her life/character's history. Also, too, if you liked her younger/earlier years, but not so much what was done with her since (that's me and Kon-El and a few other characters), what would be your long-term plan for her?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I'd be interested in which characterization of Cass people like most - she's had several, like most comic characters. And, of course, there are always those that prefer amalgam versions (which is my thing with Superman). And which setting and which characters around her you like best. And for what time period in her life/character's history. Also, too, if you liked her younger/earlier years, but not so much what was done with her since (that's me and Kon-El and a few other characters), what would be your long-term plan for her?
    I preferred her original run, and frankly, wished that they put more time into her civilian life. Cass remains a deep well of untapped potential, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I preferred her original run, and frankly, wished that they put more time into her civilian life. Cass remains a deep well of untapped potential, IMO
    Unfortunately, I feel like Cass was introduced kinda late to get a good civilian life/supporting cast. Newer characters seem not have those as much. And even when they do, they don't last (new writer, new setting, new supporting characters). And being part of a larger "family" just makes it more likely they only interact with each other, or so it sometimes seems. I definitely recall a time when Cass didn't even think of a life outside the mask much. And, of course, when Bruce and Barbara were fighting over what she'd do without really listening to her.

I was not fond of the idea/concept of her working in Bludhaven (which should be Dick's city, IMO). I only read the last part of her original run - and picked up where I did specifically to see her interact with Brenda, because I wanted to see some civilian friends (non-love-interests). Read through to end of the series, but it didn't do much for me.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 07-09-2020 at 07:05 PM.

With Cass' background and emotional issues, I think it would be difficult for her to carry a civilian life and integrate into a normal living situation.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    With Cass' background and emotional issues, I think it would be difficult for her to carry a civilian life and integrate into a normal living situation.
    Not really, not if framed properly. X-23 pulled it off

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Not really, not if framed properly. X-23 pulled it off
    Even Laura doesn't really hang out much with civilians though, other then having her own place.

I agree it would be difficult. The question becomes whether it's worth it. Does she want it? At certain times in the comics, she does not - she thinks of no life other than being a hero/Batman one day. Other times, she does seem to want it. This being difficult for her could make a very interesting storyline. Of course, it's also difficult to write in a way that pleases fans. The other big option to me is integrating into a non-Bat team. I think she should not stay under his umbrella forever. I liked Dick growing up and not staying in Gotham. Cass needs connections outside the Batfam, even if they are other heroes (and Batman got all jerkish about that once) and it would be good if those people were peers instead of older ones that want to take care of or instruct her. Obviously, that's not a "day one" thing, but as time passes. Independence from parental figures and all. Not that she had her parental figures for all that long, to be fair. But still, there are aspects of being able to grow in a healthy environment and stretch those wings and interact with others that I think would benefit her.

The biggest issue for me is how far to get from the original. It's a fine line -some characters change so much (and I'm talking organic change, not lightswitches with new writers) that a new reader might not even know where they came from. That's fine, as long as where they came from isn't their primary defining feature. Others never change, even when they realistically should have. Never seem to grow up. It depends too, on how much knowledge of speech she had and if you have telepath rewire her brain.

I agree it would be difficult. The question becomes whether it's worth it. Does she want it? At certain times in the comics, she does not - she thinks of no life other than being a hero/Batman one day. Other times, she does seem to want it. This being difficult for her could make a very interesting storyline. Of course, it's also difficult to write in a way that pleases fans. The other big option to me is integrating into a non-Bat team. I think she should not stay under his umbrella forever. I liked Dick growing up and not staying in Gotham. Cass needs connections outside the Batfam, even if they are other heroes (and Batman got all jerkish about that once) and it would be good if those people were peers instead of older ones that want to take care of or instruct her. Obviously, that's not a "day one" thing, but as time passes. Independence from parental figures and all. Not that she had her parental figures for all that long, to be fair. But still, there are aspects of being able to grow in a healthy environment and stretch those wings and interact with others that I think would benefit her.

The biggest issue for me is how far to get from the original. It's a fine line -some characters change so much (and I'm talking organic change, not lightswitches with new writers) that a new reader might not even know where they came from. That's fine, as long as where they came from isn't their primary defining feature. Others never change, even when they realistically should have. Never seem to grow up. It depends too, on how much knowledge of speech she had and if you have telepath rewire her brain.
    I think it would definitely be healthier for her in the long run to interact with normal people and have life outside the life and costume.

I think her being on the Outsiders (both times) is a good start even if there's a tangential Batman connection.

I think it would definitely be healthier for her in the long run to interact with normal people and have life outside the life and costume.

I think her being on the Outsiders (both times) is a good start even if there's a tangential Batman connection.
    It's way too much a Batman team for me for it to be acceptable in this regard. I actually dislike the very principle of the team (being formed by Batman while he's crapping on the JL) so it's not something I'm going to read while he's involved. Just can't get past the premise enough to give the the stories a chance apart from it. And when Duke's there, too...

It's way too much a Batman team for me for it to be acceptable in this regard. I actually dislike the very principle of the team (being formed by Batman while he's crapping on the JL) so it's not something I'm going to read while he's involved. Just can't get past the premise enough to give the the stories a chance apart from it. And when Duke's there, too...
    I think the team offers enough of a non-Bat experience in terms of membership that just having him connected to the team isn't enough to be a dealbreaker, but that's just my take on it .

Some of the stuff happening in Outsiders is in Markovia... so why isn't Geo-Force involved?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

That Shadow of the Batgirl book showed how you can do a “mundane” supporting cast for Cass... it just has to be admitted that she can’t really have the Tim Drake or Stephanie Brown-style “normal-normal life.” Heck, I think even Damian is more likely to have something more conventional in his interactions.

You need to write the story to maintain and work with Cass’s character; that’s easier with the Bat-characters than with regular people. But you do it right, and it can work wonders.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP