Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Has that been verified? Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost, X-23's creators, have stated that X-23 was inspired by reverse-engineering Wolverine and making the resulting character a complete foil to the former's more notable traits (also, the character was created as an alternative when their bosses wanted them to retcon Wolverine into a teenager for the TV show they were working on at the time). So far, I've seen nothing suggesting that one inspired the other (although I do agree that it's uncanny how similar they are).
    Yeah, Cass and Laura pull from the same archtype, but I doubt Cass influenced anything with Laura's creation.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I think Cass will be fine (relatively). Every story like this needs a woobie
    I don't know. While Deathstroke and Red Hood are concocting weaselly plans, someone has to be a stone cold badass and go face Wonder Woman one-on-one in the arena.

I figure the odds looks something like this:

2/1 - Cass dies so Jason and the orphans can live - because irony - Jason has to be father, mentor, bastard to a new generation of Robins.
    4/1 - Jason dies so Cass and the orphans can live - because pathos - Cass is more worthy than Jason
    8/1 - They both live. Jim and Deathstroke die, going out in a blaze of glory, bonding over their love of their daughters as they go
    16/1 - Everybody dies so the orphans can live
    2000/1 - Everybody lives

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Has that been verified? Craig Kyle and Christopher Yost, X-23's creators, have stated that X-23 was inspired by reverse-engineering Wolverine and making the resulting character a complete foil to the former's more notable traits (also, the character was created as an alternative when their bosses wanted them to retcon Wolverine into a teenager for the TV show they were working on at the time). So far, I've seen nothing suggesting that one inspired the other (although I do agree that it's uncanny how similar they are).
    Yeah, Laura does seem to be Cassandra's Alternate Company Equivalent, but it's not deliberate.

X-23 was not created to avoid retconning Logan into a teenager by the way - she didn't even debut until the fourth and final season of X-Men Evolution.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    What did people think of Cass in DCeased Unkillables #1 today?
    It's...it's...original Cass.

Written potentially similar to how she was.

*argle bargles*

I liked it, lots, if that's not clear.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    What did people think of Cass in DCeased Unkillables #1 today?
    She was awesome. It was kinda weird seeing her kill at first, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Seeing her in the bat costume was the most cathartic thing with this character since she defeated Shiva in Tynion's Detective. I really want to know the history of this world's batgirl mantle, and how it worked with both Babs and Cass.
    Books I’m pulling: Justice League Dark, Batman and the, Outsiders, Suicide squad, Daredevil, Tynion’s Batman, X-men, X-force, Marauders, Hellions, X-Factor, Three Jokers, Deceased Dead Planet

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosIncarnate View Post
    She was awesome. It was kinda weird seeing her kill at first, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Seeing her in the bat costume was the most cathartic thing with this character since she defeated Shiva in Tynion's Detective. I really want to know the history of this world's batgirl mantle, and how it worked with both Babs and Cass.
    To be fair, it was a mindless, blood thirsty, angry zombie. In an apocalyptic world at that. So I think we can overlook her neck chop in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    To be fair, it was a mindless, blood thirsty, angry zombie. In an apocalyptic world at that. So I think we can overlook her neck chop in this case.
    I know.Obviously it makes sense, it was just weird to see at first.
    Last edited by ChaosIncarnate; 02-20-2020 at 11:33 AM.
    Books I’m pulling: Justice League Dark, Batman and the, Outsiders, Suicide squad, Daredevil, Tynion’s Batman, X-men, X-force, Marauders, Hellions, X-Factor, Three Jokers, Deceased Dead Planet

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    It was day two of the end of the world, and Bullock was asking for a mercy kill, so that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, Laura does seem to be Cassandra's Alternate Company Equivalent, but it's not deliberate.

X-23 was not created to avoid retconning Logan into a teenager by the way - she didn't even debut until the fourth and final season of X-Men Evolution.
    Not quite, she appeared in Season 3 in the episode "X-23" and then was in the season 4 episode "Target X." She did have a cameo in the series finale during the "glimpse of the future" sequence (basically showing that she joined the X-Men and stayed into adulthood). However, she was indeed created as an alternative to a teen Logan, creator Craig Kyle has gone on record for that, like in this podcast interview (check around the 20 minute mark).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

HE'S GONE!!! He's finally gone. Dan Didio has left DC Comics. Lets hope this truly bring back Cass Cain into the limelight of the Batman family once more. https://www.newsarama.com/49148-dan-didio-exits-dc.html

Though he hasn't updated it, Damion Scott appears to be working on a homage anniversary print/poster for Cass:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8LR1zehjFs/
    And behold I shall be a blight upon the land and everything I touch shall wither and die.

Quote Originally Posted by Blight View Post
    Though he hasn't updated it, Damion Scott appears to be working on a homage anniversary print/poster for Cass:

Can't wait to see the finished piece .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Can't wait to see the finished piece .
    Same here, I'm looking forward to it.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I finally read Shadow of the Batgirl, and I loved it .

It was just great to see something aimed at younger audiences and for newer readers that really captures Cass' story and who she is as a character from someone who is a true fan. You can really tell they know the character well and the important beats of her story.

Cassandra Cain: Defender of Libraries was great .

It was really surreal seeing Cass get a serious romance. This has got to be, what, her third on-panel kiss in her entire publication history? I'm not sure how Assam would feel about it, but I liked Eric. It was pretty cute. And I loved Cass getting into romance novels. Especially when she asked about the nudity .

I really liked Babs' role here, because it wouldn't be Cass' story without her, and she was used very well here. I didn't even mind them using the Burnside design. These graphic novels are proving great for anyone who is a fan of Oracle.

I liked the nod to Shiva. I think this is the first time they've explicitly said she's Chinese.

David Cain was much better here then in B&R:E in my opinion.

I was kind of disappointed Cass' proper Batgirl look didn't look more like her comic look, but I guess design-wise it might not have fit the story and it's aesthetic. I thought they were setting up her classic mask when Erica immediately recognizes her because of how distinctive her face is, but to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by Blight View Post

Cool. Seems a little cluttered to me, but a decent collection of notable moments in the character's story -- esp. given that her being a Batgirl seems to be something of a forgotten aspect of the character these days.

I finally read Shadow of the Batgirl, and I loved it .

It was just great to see something aimed at younger audiences and for newer readers that really captures Cass' story and who she is as a character from someone who is a true fan. You can really tell they know the character well and the important beats of her story.

Cassandra Cain: Defender of Libraries was great .
    Yeah, liked it overall, too.

It was really surreal seeing Cass get a serious romance. This has got to be, what, her third on-panel kiss in her entire publication history? I'm not sure how Assam would feel about it, but I liked Eric. It was pretty cute. And I loved Cass getting into romance novels. Especially when she asked about the nudity .
    Thought that was the weak part of the story, to be honest, but I've seen far worse.

I really liked Babs' role here, because it wouldn't be Cass' story without her, and she was used very well here. I didn't even mind them using the Burnside design. These graphic novels are proving great for anyone who is a fan of Oracle.
    Seconded. Found it really interesting that they streamlined things where Batman himself didn't seem to have existed in this world. I'm a-okay with that, although I was rather curious what the authorial intent by that choice was.

I liked the nod to Shiva. I think this is the first time they've explicitly said she's Chinese.

David Cain was much better here then in B&R:E in my opinion.
    What's "B&R: E," again?

I was kind of disappointed Cass' proper Batgirl look didn't look more like her comic look, but I guess design-wise it might not have fit the story and it's aesthetic. I thought they were setting up her classic mask when Erica immediately recognizes her because of how distinctive her face is, but to no avail.
    Honestly, I liked this look better then the original one. While it made sense for her to be using the prototype for most of the story (it's an origin story and her getting the "real" costume really sells the ending), I do wish we'd gotten more of it.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)