Page 23 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Completely not going to happen unless DC starts treating Batgirl like a title that matters, and not just a reason to antagonize fans.
    Not only fans, apparently writers as well.

(There's a discussion thread in the DC Comics forum on it, "DC's real problem")
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Not only fans, apparently writers as well.

(There's a discussion thread in the DC Comics forum on it, "DC's real problem")
    Yeah, I think it was linked here earlier, and I saw it on Discord as well. Bryan Q. Miller also responded to Mairgrhead Scott, indicating the problem isn't confined to the current title, but DC's editorial office has almost always treated the Batgirl title, writer, and fans poorly.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Now I'm reminded of when Simone left and came back during the New 52...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Now I'm reminded of when Simone left and came back during the New 52...
    It's all of a piece. And we can go back to the constant writer changes, Dylan Horrock's narrative of working on War Games, and above all, the "Evil Cass" storyline.

At this point, I think it's crystal clear: DC treats Batgirl as a brand extremely poorly.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

It's all of a piece. And we can go back to the constant writer changes, Dylan Horrock's narrative of working on War Games, and above all, the "Evil Cass" storyline.

At this point, I think it's crystal clear: DC treats Batgirl as a brand extremely poorly.
    I mean, at this point the only title it feels like DC treats well or is invested in of the brand is Batman and 'Tec.

I mean, at this point the only title it feels like DC treats well or is invested in of the brand is Batman and 'Tec.
    Even Tec has been pretty uneven since Tynion left it.

I wish I felt differently. That I felt that DC had Cass and all our other favorite characters' best interest at heart, and was interested in telling the best stories.

But it just doesn't seem to be supported by evidence.

Even Tec has been pretty uneven since Tynion left it.

I wish I felt differently. That I felt that DC had Cass and all our other favorite characters' best interest at heart, and was interested in telling the best stories.

But it just doesn't seem to be supported by evidence.
    Well, we've had a few creative shifts in a short time so that's bound to happen. I think the only thorough-line between Tynion, Hill, and even Tomasi is re-using and revamping old plots or concepts.

I guess if it's any consolation, when you see how they're treating Nightwing, at least they're not exclusively doing it to the girls...

Ultimate Member

Well, we've had a few creative shifts in a short time so that's bound to happen. I think the only thorough-line between Tynion, Hill, and even Tomasi is re-using and revamping old plots or concepts.

I guess if it's any consolation, when you see how they're treating Nightwing, at least they're not exclusively doing it to the girls...
    Yeah, the Bat offices simply cannot allow Nightwing to be his own hero with his own rogues. For whatever reason, him leaving Batman's shadow and standing as an equal is bad juju

"Re-using old plots, villains, and concepts" is kind of just, you know, comics. After all, Hickman's X-Men is chock full of re-used or re-purposed devices right now, King's whole Batman run was a recontextualizing of tons of old comics ideas, even Snyder was basically using old ideas for most of his run, Metal is a re-use of a lot of Morrison's ideas...it's just the way things are.

And as a big fan of legacy characters like Cass, I have no problem with that.

I do have a problem with the company treats those ideas as secondary to some weird justification for antagonizing creative teams and fans on Batgirl.

As for Ric - yes, it's really stupid. I don't think that equal opportunity disrespect and antagonism is better, though...it'd be better to have equal respect.
    Last edited by millernumber1; 06-25-2020 at 05:09 PM.

There's a bit of Cass history in today's article of Joseph Illidge reflecting on his time when he joined the Batbooks during NML:

When I came in, it was right at the beginning of No Man's Land, and No Man's Land was a ground-breaking kind of event. It broke a lot of rules; it took a lot of risks, Denny fought for it to be approved by the higher powers and, eventually, we had to start planning what the Batman Universe was going to look like after No Man's Land. And one of the things that we did within No Man's Land was the creation of Cassandra Cain, an Asian Batgirl.

And I can tell you that upper management was not keen on the idea of a Batgirl who was not white, and Denny fought for that because we all believed in it. So, he fought for Cassandra Cain to be Batgirl, and they did it. That's the thing, he was the person who fought for ground-breaking stories and groundbreaking ideas.
    And behold I shall be a blight upon the land and everything I touch shall wither and die.

Quote Originally Posted by Blight View Post
    There's a bit of Cass history in today's article of Joseph Illidge reflecting on his time when he joined the Batbooks during NML:
    Thank you Denny O'Neil .

I was able to get a Batgirl sketch by Damion Scott recently and wanted to share with everyone. I was beyond ecstatic when I received the finished product!
    batgirl by damion scott.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by omnipotentimpotent View Post
    I was able to get a Batgirl sketch by Damion Scott recently and wanted to share with everyone. I was beyond ecstatic when I received the finished product!
    batgirl by damion scott.jpg
    Oh, SUPER nice! Did you have any specific requests, or just "Cass as Batgirl"?

It was strange. I follow his page on Facebook and there was a post about him having some blank covers for Batman, Wolverine and others and offering to do a sketch on one. I messaged and asked about a Wolverine book because it looked amazing and he said he had sold out of those. He could do a Batman cover. I felt awkward, but gushed about how much I love Cass more than damn near anyone except maybe X-23 or Black Panther. I asked if I could get Cass on the cover and he came back a few hours later and said 'sure, in costume or not?'. I said I love her costume, but you are the master, I defer to you. It only took him a day or so. Super cool interactions, too!!

Quote Originally Posted by omnipotentimpotent View Post
    It was strange. I follow his page on Facebook and there was a post about him having some blank covers for Batman, Wolverine and others and offering to do a sketch on one. I messaged and asked about a Wolverine book because it looked amazing and he said he had sold out of those. He could do a Batman cover. I felt awkward, but gushed about how much I love Cass more than damn near anyone except maybe X-23 or Black Panther. I asked if I could get Cass on the cover and he came back a few hours later and said 'sure, in costume or not?'. I said I love her costume, but you are the master, I defer to you. It only took him a day or so. Super cool interactions, too!!
    Wow, that's such a cool story! He seems like a very nice dude.