Page 26 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Having a mute girl that doesn't know sign language, but instead knows body language like other people read books, and fights with it, not an easy thing to convey in live-action. Especially with her Batgirl mask that covers her entire face. As part of her Batgirl run, you could tell her expressions by her facial features coming through the mask.

Animated is far easier, obviously. But if ever done, properly, in live-action, that's quite the hurdle to overcome.
    Simply start unmasked, including the trailers. Kinda like how Schumacher movies only have Dick and Babs in a costume near the end. Most of the plot should be the introduction and her attempt to prove herself, whether to Bruce or Babs.

Astonishing Member

Having a mute girl that doesn't know sign language, but instead knows body language like other people read books, and fights with it, not an easy thing to convey in live-action. Especially with her Batgirl mask that covers her entire face. As part of her Batgirl run, you could tell her expressions by her facial features coming through the mask.

Animated is far easier, obviously. But if ever done, properly, in live-action, that's quite the hurdle to overcome.
    They could modify Cass's mask so her face is readable. Allow her to use sign language, have an actress/stunt doubles who is good at expressing emotions and thoughts with her body, have her explain during or after a fight how she learnt a technique fighting an opponent (she did this in her first solo), and do this

Ultimate Member

Why do you say that? Get a good actress, and it would be fine

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Why do you say that? Get a good actress, and it would be fine
    That isn't as easy as you might think.

I don't know, they were pretty successful coveying emotion in Deadpool's masked face even in live action (with some CGI, but it worked fine).

Quote Originally Posted by Blight View Post
    The thing is though, Tynion is teasing something with Cass in this one-shot. He's said prior in a post about BatgirlS not single, plural. With the ongoing subplot going on in Batman & the Outsiders regarding this with Shiva pointing this out. Add to that Steph is in the story too. Note as well that stories outside continuity have been using Cass a lot as Batgirl lately. With a certain someone not there to block, and Tynion now has the power to do what he wants. The odds are pointing that Cass is getting the costume back and even the identity. Where this leaves her status quo in Batman & the Outsiders and outside the Bat books is the great question.

You also look at the fact that ever since the New 52, save the ever brief nods in the Detective Comics, Babs/Cass haven't really had the same relationship as they did in the past. More, DC at the time wanted Cass away from the role to prop Babs as the "sole" identity holder. But with the hypocrisy of multiple Robins, Superboys, Flashes, and Green Lanterns. I get the feeling Tynion now has complete say on what he wants. Think about this as well. The entire plot of Joker War is family. Joker is attacking all the Bat Family. Their separated. Fractured. What brings them back together? Dick back as Nightwing. Cass back as Batgirl.
    As the writing for the family currently is I don't think Cass being Batgirl again would have the same impact coming back as Dick as Nightwing, but I agree with most of your other points.

I also think some of the recent Batgirl solicits have indicated something happens to Barbara's chip that lets her walk.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I don't know, they were pretty successful coveying emotion in Deadpool's masked face even in live action (with some CGI, but it worked fine).
    All DC needs to do is hire directors who care about having their actors actually act

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    As the writing for the family currently is I don't think Cass being Batgirl again would have the same impact coming back as Dick as Nightwing, but I agree with most of your other points.

I also think some of the recent Batgirl solicits have indicated something happens to Barbara's chip that lets her walk.
    There is something strange going on with the Bat-Family comics. Batgirl and Nightwing seem spinning their wheels at this point with a clear status quo being lined out in Joker War for both comics. The same can be said for Batman & the Outsiders. Just the question is, does the comic end after Hill finishes the team vs. Ra's story or will he be allowed for another run?
    And behold I shall be a blight upon the land and everything I touch shall wither and die.

Hill's indicated he has plans for a season 2 of Outsiders, so that's not ending any time soon unless they cancel it for low sales or something.

The bat line at least will probably relaunch after Joker War and Death Metal - with the exception of Batman and Detective themselves. Harley Quinn and Red Hood are both ending, and yes, it's likely that Nightwing and Batgirl are as well. And Damian is out of Teen Titans, and there's been speculation that Tim and Steph are leaving Young Justice. Of course it could be more than just the Bat line. Flash and Green Lantern will both also be ending soon.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

It never occured to me there's a chip AND Killing Joke is still in canon as well?? Time to hand in my badge...

That's been the case since New 52 started. Apparently before Stephanie became Batgirl, they were considering giving Babs the cowl back then... the implant story was planned for a long time, but due to the reboot, we never saw it happen (it probably would've happened in either the Birds of Prey or Batgirl books in 2012 if the reboot hadn't happened, those were the two comics that had Babs as a co-star), and it was explained in flashback instead. So yes, Babs being Oracle was never not canon.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That's been the case since New 52 started. Apparently before Stephanie became Batgirl, they were considering giving Babs the cowl back then... the implant story was planned for a long time, but due to the reboot, we never saw it happen (it probably would've happened in either the Birds of Prey or Batgirl books in 2012 if the reboot hadn't happened, those were the two comics that had Babs as a co-star), and it was explained in flashback instead. So yes, Babs being Oracle was never not canon.
    They were considering Babs back in a bat-suit since before that. It started with Batwoman costume and a pitch that later evolved into 52 with Kate Kane. Then came the teases/hints (the final issues of Nightwing and Birds of Prey teased things to come) prior to the Battle for the Cowl event Babs would be cured (of course after they sabotaged Cass being back as Batgirl and giving her a new mini). But-- there was too much rebellion from others so the higher ups made Steph Batgirl instead, and the Cure mini changed. However, when the New 52 was being developed that's when the higher's up decided, "screw it, we're doing this and you're going to do this or we'll find someone else to do it."

So I do find it EXTREMELY fascinating yesterday when A.) Batgirl and Batman & the Outsiders are announced ending in October. B.) the writer of Batgirl tweeted she knew this news was coming, but certain events prolonged the series from ending prematurely. That sounds to me the comic was on the choping block already for 5G, but a certain firing made the series last until #50. Which means the comic will be relaunched again. When? That's the question. But-- you don't just tease a certain thing in Joker War Zone #1, have said series she was in end, and then suddenly when one of the biggest roadblock to the character gone from the company. Suddenly this happens.

Honestly, at times I'd love to know the behind the scenes more.
    And behold I shall be a blight upon the land and everything I touch shall wither and die.

Astonishing Member

Honestly, my doubt about Cassandra recovering Batgirl is that I really doubt she can mantain a solo in the current market (to be clear, Barbara isn't pretty good in that aspect either).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Honestly, my doubt about Cassandra recovering Batgirl is that I really doubt she can mantain a solo in the current market (to be clear, Barbara isn't pretty good in that aspect either).
    Why? She's done that before.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Why? She's done that before.