Page 9 of 47 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    No, the problem is that Harley Quinn is the center of this film

And don't defend it by saying 'She's the most popular'. The first X-Men movies should have made it clear by now that the most popular in one medium does not make them the most popular in another.

Iron Man should have taught us that as well, but hey.
    I wouldn't use the X-Men as an example as Wolverine is the most popular in both the comics and the movies.

I will say that the popularity of the character should not affect how they are written.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    No, the problem is that Harley Quinn is the center of this film

And don't defend it by saying 'She's the most popular'. The first X-Men movies should have made it clear by now that the most popular in one medium does not make them the most popular in another.

Iron Man should have taught us that as well, but hey.
    Cass wasn't the centre unless you mean as the plot device to be saved.

X-men and Iron man are irrelivant in this since DC didn't set out to make this nor did have any hand in this. Dc wanted to make a movie with Harley Quinn and the star of the movie decided that she'd rather make an ensamble movie and she decided bthat she wanted BOP.

It's on Margot Robin not DC. DC wanted to make a movie with Harley and the star of the movie decided to bring Cass in. now could argue why Harley and not Cass but that's not what this is about.
    Wolverine was and is the most popular x-man in every medium.

Iron man has nothing to do with this unless you mean taking a chance which I guess they are doing by making a Harley Quinn movie

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post

X-men and Iron man are irrelivant in this since DC didn't set out to make this nor did have any hand in this. Dc wanted to make a movie with Harley Quinn and the star of the movie decided that she'd rather make an ensamble movie and she decided bthat she wanted BOP.

It's on Margot Robin not DC. DC wanted to make a movie with Harley and the star of the movie decided to bring Cass in. now could argue why Harley and not Cass but that's not what this is about.

Iron man has nothing to do with this unless you mean taking a chance which I guess they are doing by making a Harley Quinn movie
    I never said that Cass was the center, or should have been. Just that they shouldn't have included her in this story, and constructed this story with Harley at the center. Harper Row would have worked, and countless others

It seems that movie Cass is definitely in-name-only. CBR reckons she's a composite of single arc Harley Quinn character Amanda, and Jason Todd.
    https://www.cbr.com/birds-of-prey-ch...assandra-cain/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

She’s the most wasted opportunity in the film, and I think she might be the result of both BoP and the alternative Gotham Sirens script featuring the same stolen diamond plot point, and them replacing a lively and familiar Catwoman with a strictly utility character in their version of Cass.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post

You mean Warners Brothers, not DC.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    She’s the most wasted opportunity in the film, and I think she might be the result of both BoP and the alternative Gotham Sirens script featuring the same stolen diamond plot point, and them replacing a lively and familiar Catwoman with a strictly utility character in their version of Cass.
    She probably could have been called Holly Robinson and it wouldn't have changed much.

I don't see this as trashing Cass's name or ruining her character, simply because it isn't Cass. Yes, using her name is daft and utterly pointless, but this Cass is so far removed from 'our' Cass, it pretty much negates anything they do with her.

For me, for a character to be genuinely ruined, they would have to be similar enough to actually be recognisable as that character. It's then that a few significant changes can have a much bigger impact. Like most of the Black Canary's in Arrow for example, all of whom were Black Canary in name only and all of who were inferior fighters to Oliver and for the most part, and were just there to get killed on a semi regular basis. Ironically, BOPATFEOOHQ's version of Dinah is arguably further removed from her comic book roots than any of the Arrow Canaries.. and yet she instantly felt more 'authentic' to me than any of them ever did.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    I don't see this as trashing Cass's name or ruining her character, simply because it isn't Cass. Yes, using her name is daft and utterly pointless, but this Cass is so far removed from 'our' Cass, it pretty much negates anything they do with her.

For me, to genuinely ruining a character, they have to be similar enough to actually be recognisable as that character. Like most of the Black Canary's in Arrow for example, all of whom were Black Canary in name only and all of who were inferior fighters to Oliver and for the most part, and were just there to get killed on a semi regular basis. Ironically, BOPATFEOOHQ's version of Dinah is arguably further removed from her comic book roots than any of the Arrow Canaries.. and yet she instantly felt more 'authentic' to me than any of them ever did.
    I would agree that the film doesn't ruin her character - but it does color the view of at least hundreds of thousands of people who first experience it this way. Now, you could argue that because the movie is tanking, it's not going to do as much damage as it could to the perception of her character - but that's a very sad statement in general.

I would actually argue that the Canary in Birds of Prey is a lot more comics accurate than the Arrow ones. And I surprisingly liked her a lot.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

A good review for Shadow of the Batgirl. They gave it full marks!
    https://www.newsarama.com/48975-best...e-batgirl.html
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

This was in all of this week's DC books:

Amazing Member

Today's BOP issue. What the heck. The real Cassandra ‘Nobody Dies Tonight’ Cain wouldn't allow such a bloody massacre happen right before her. That's completely OOC.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryFisher View Post
    Today's BOP issue. What the heck. The real Cassandra ‘Nobody Dies Tonight’ Cain wouldn't allow such a bloody massacre happen right before her. That's completely OOC.
    It's the Amanda Conner one, right...?

Astonishing Member

I'm still trying to understand how harly knows Cassandra

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    I'm still trying to understand how harly knows Cassandra
    From Joker's Last Laugh, of course
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord