Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

20200627_154741.jpg

Look who came in the mail today!

As you can see, I've already switched him into his proper attire

-Pav, who didn't know this product even existed as a kid...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

So today CBR has an article about forgotten siblings of heroes: https://www.cbr.com/forgotten-marvel...ut-spider-man/

Screenshot_20200703-101752.jpg

CRIMSON SPIDER?!

I thought this was a website about comics!

-Pav, who can't believe the audacity...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.

--------------------

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    So today CBR has an article about forgotten siblings of heroes: https://www.cbr.com/forgotten-marvel...ut-spider-man/

CRIMSON SPIDER?!

I am sorely disappointed. This isn't some obscure character, team, or franchise you're dealing with here, it's Spider-Man --- the biggest name in Marvel, if not comics, period. There ought to be at least some greater impetus on getting stuff related to him right.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Incredible Member

CRIMSON SPIDER?!

How do you even get this wrong?? No matter what character profile you want to use to look up information on him his Scarlet Spider moniker is consistently one of the first things mentioned about and is most likely the first image someone would spot of him.

I think the author of the article was trying to be funny or something.

It just further cements the belief I've had that no one really gives a crap about Ben or the Scarlet Spider name.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    It just further cements the belief I've had that no one really gives a crap about Ben or the Scarlet Spider name.
    Except for all of his fans - especially those who count him as their favorite character, of which there is more than a few!

-Pav, whose favorite character in all of fiction will always be Ben Reilly...

--------------------

Except for all of his fans - especially those who count him as their favorite character, of which there is more than a few!

-Pav, whose favorite character in all of fiction will always be Ben Reilly...
    Exactly, I think it is a shame what had been done with Ben's character since his return. Honestly, I'd have rather he stayed "dead".
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Exactly, I think it is a shame what had been done with Ben's character since his return. Honestly, I'd have rather he stayed "dead".
    Wouldn't have had nearly as much to talk about over the past couple of years though.

-Pav, who won't let a bad story get him down...

--------------------

Wouldn't have had nearly as much to talk about over the past couple of years though.

Granted, but a big part of me still often wishes Ben's return (following such a prolonged hiatus) hadn't been as a deluded, semi-genocidal villain.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Granted, but a big part of me still often wishes Ben's return (following such a prolonged hiatus) hadn't been as a deluded, semi-genocidal villain.
    Same here. At least there's another article on CBR, more recently, that acknowledges 90s-era Ben had the better fashion sense between him and Peter.

One of the best parts of that era was the budding relationship between Ben and Peter, and the teasing about costumes and whatnot.

I really miss their brotherhood.

-Pav, who gets why writers may be wary to go back to it...

--------------------

Incredible Member

Personally i feel like it's easier to maintain this type of positive attitude when dealing with characters who have are utlized/seen all the time like the Avengers, X-men, FF, Spider-man and so on. Even with properties that are not continuously in publication as much as the big guns like say Iron Fist, Punisher or Black Panther i personally feel a subpar story is easier to forgive because you know in the not too far off future they're going to get a crack at another ongoing.

Ben had decades of inactivity and when they finally did bring him back we got some really mediocre stories. (and that's me being generous). Outside of cameo appearances there's no real telling when we'll see him again and there's no telling what they'll want to do with him to differentiate from Peter and that doesn't exactly fill me with a ton of confidence as to how he'd be written.
    Last edited by classicgmer; 07-09-2020 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    Personally i feel like it's easier to maintain this type of positive attitude when dealing with characters who have are utlized/seen all the time like the Avengers, X-men, FF, Spider-man and so on. Even with properties that are not continuously in publication as much as the big guns like say Iron Fist, Punisher or Black Panther i personally feel a subpar story is easier to forgive because you know in the not too far off future they're going to get a crack at another ongoing.

Ben had decades of inactivity and when they finally did bring him back we got some really mediocre stories. (and that's me being generous). Outside of cameo appearances there's no real telling when we'll see him again and there's no telling what they'll want to do with him to differentiate from Peter and that doesn't exactly fill me with a ton of confidence as to how he'd be written.
    Good points, sadly, especially since he was tied to a period in Spider-Man's published history that Marvel for a long time tried to pretend never really happened. That wouldn't necessarily fill me with confidence for how his character could be handled, either.

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post

He should have been brought back sooner when all of the teasing first began, we could have gotten numerous subpar to decent stories within that time and editorial wouldn't be so hesitant on doing NOTHING with Ben for another almost 20 years.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

At this point, Ben deserves at least another mini-series like Lost Years or Redemption to chronicle his own redemption. Peter David's attempts to convey some sort of interior conflict never rang true, especially the way the series ended. We got kind of a whitewash when Otto resurrected Ben to his default state, good old Ben was back, but that didn't feel earned either. I'd like to see Ben and Kaine on the road, Ben looking for redemption and Kaine as his conscience, but failing at it from time to time too because his own path is also a work in progress.