Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

while comics are a refernce for the movies and sometimes even do some R&D I don't think his Avengers appearances are a measuring stick for anything. I think writte​rs had storri​es to tell and he fit what they wanted. Remember like 10+ years ago when 616 and the Ultimate Universe both had vampire events featuring Blade, because both writers conicidentall​y wanted to tell te​h same story at the same time. (The Ultimate story wa​ sbett​er just fyi).

Al Ewing had Blade in Mighty Avengers for what two or 3 arc​s, because he fit the story he wanted to tell.

I know Tom Brevoort was trying to get Blade on te​h Avengers for years, but it never worked out for one way or another. I like your enthusiasm about everything, but I don't see how Blad fits unless they want to pull the Avengers into a big supernatural story line right from th​ eju​mp. Introduce Blade first and let them establish him.

I don't see how BP and Captain Marvel are too big for the Avengers if anything they are the strongest foundaitn​​ for the team. Cap's retired, Tony and Natasha​ are dead. Those are the biggest draws. Besides Avengers only deals with world ending or universe ending threats. It could be Galacat​us, Kang the Conqueror etc. BP's been a long time Avengers staple I don't see how that would change. He's not gonna be runnign​ down bank robbers in NYC, but for a global or Universal threat ​the MCU has positionin​ed BP to be involved and take a lead.

Marvel's clearly positioned Captain Marvel to help out with the Avengers and basically established her as a Superman type character.

Marvel usually likes to introduce characters and build things up. They've pretty much ignored all the TV stuff to the point where you wonder if its even canon. You'd have to introduce Ghost Rider and a lot of other things. You can't just plop Damnation or Midnight Suns on the Avengers. Also Dr. Strange is the only one that's alreay introduced who really fits in a heavily supernatural story. Sure it could be done but the other characters are more general superheroic​s and sci-fi
    The J-man

Mighty Member

I wouldnt even call it enthusiasm, just seeing how the market dictates their movies. At its absolute best, Blade could have a Black Panther like cultural impact, at worst maybe Captain Marvel. Because of the successes of both those movies, they played pretty central roles in the last 2 Avengers movies. Like I doubt End Game takes place largely in Wakanda without the success of Black Panther.

Other than that 2 things are tipping me. 1. There are already some of those rumors leaking that he's set to be in the next Avengers movie (but rumors are so inconsistent this early out), and 2. Certain characters often do receive that editorial push ahead of cinematic releases, and dont think it's a coincidence they had him on that Spirits of Vengeance team (remember that was supposed to be a Hulu show) then pivoted to him being on the Avengers. I think we've all noticed that Blade isn't just a character they want to tell one or two stories with, as he's been made a pretty prominent member of the Avengers and turns up in other books as an Avengers member now too.

I'm hopeful Blade's gonna do well. I'm gonna do a number on it because I don't really know.

Endgame was already planned and filmed before Black Panther dropped in theaters. Disney was caught off guard by how it performed as it did way better than it predicted. BP tapped into an African diaspora appeal coupled with being a superhero film. Then on top of it, they made it a more nuanced film with a layered villain that was a little deeper than your typical Marvel film. BP was reaching some people who didn't follow Marvel or superhero movies. It also had really long legs which is rare for a superhero film.

They marketed Captain Marvel on female empowerment and pretty much echoed that theme throughout the film. And despite some people stirring up vitriol online the movie did really well at the box office.

Blade will likely inhabit a different space. Despite being the grandfather of the modern-day successful​ superhero movie. He's not going to ride the same waves for obvious reasons. Captain Marvel's themes, story​ , and success are something​g Blade's not going to tap into. I don't think the BP comparison​sn for a new Blade movie works. When Blade first came out he was riding that wave a little bit with Wesley Snipes. This was a Black Superhero that took it to 11 and was whooping everyone's butt. He brought a different aesthetic a different​ yet familiar style of fighting and it was lightning in the bottle. So the new Blade movie has to pay homage to that, capture that same energy while being distinctive and unique in its own right. Sure they could just play it safe like Star Wars the Force Awakened, but I hope they don't. Unless they really take a different approach with this film Blade isn't going to be the impact Black Panther was to the Black Community or African diaspora.

Blade should (hopefully) inhabit more of a horror movie and supernatural genre. Obviously,​ he's going to be action-oriented​ like all Marvel movies, but there should be a sense of mystery and the occult. Having a black lead for a big-t​ime blockbuster might still be impactful to some, but in 2020 it's not gonna be revolutionary. BP had a whole cast for a big-budget​ picture and exceeded expectations​. Also​ BP in someways was representing Africa and Wakanda so the film was more then just him.

I don't know how Marvel's going to approach things and I don't want to make assumptions based on current comics that this will be the approach they go with. I think Marvel needs to define the threat. And more then "booh vampires are scary." In all the most successful​ Blade films the villains have been defined. Blade 1, Blade 2, the anime. Heck, look at other successful vampire stories. The Castlevania anime, The Vampire Hunter D animes, Blood the Last Vampire, the new Dracula show on Netflix and the BBC etc.. One of the reasons I liked Aaron's run so much is he took the time to flesh out some of the new Legion of the Undying. He made them interesting and distinct. He set Dracula up as manipulative and methodical. He also kept Blade as Blade. Didn't throw on a bunch of OP powers. He's the best at what he does just being the modern version. You can give him a new weapon or ally, a subtle power like sensing the supernatural or even minor hypnotism. Anything beyond that is too much. You keep the core of the character intact and just write good stories.

You're not wrong that editorial can push certain characters as a sign of more multimedia projects to come, but it isn't set in stone, plans can easily change. Especially with how reactive media and executives are.

Besides all that what Blade really has going for him is that he's a known commodity. Already has a set of fans and is well regarded. I don't know if he's going to do $1 billion. Thats a lofty goal. Batman v Superman didn't hit that number. Justice LEague fell way short. Thats like an Avengers Star Wars number. With BP people were asking for that film since 2012, and it brought all the other elements I highlighted. Marvel pushed Captain Marvel as the premier female Superhero. Civil War was basically an Avengers film.

I'd love Blade to be succesful as most superhero films are, but $1 billion is no easy feat. If it crossed $700M I'd consider it a smash hit. I just want them to make a good film. Nothing is guaranteed for me. As far as I'm concerned, Marvel Studieos hasn't even made a film close ot what I want a Blade movie to be so I want to make sure its in their wheel house, before I set my expectations sky high.
    The J-man

There's that ramble.

Also Blade's rumored to be released October 2022
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    There's that ramble.

Also Blade's rumored to be released October 2022
    Yes! Somebody is listening!!!

Mighty Member

I'm betting Blade taps the African diaspora market as well for different reasons. Itd represent respect finally paid to Black hero credited with ushering in this era and the first Blade movie was able to play with class/racial dynamics that would be received extremely well in the modern day. Not to mention more mature themes. I honestly dont see a way it does less than a billion with solid marketing.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Blade should (hopefully) inhabit more of a horror movie and supernatural genre.
    Define the threat. And more then "booh vampires are scary."
    Many many times the villain makes the movie. I've been saying Varney for a long time, because... I think it needs to be something monstrous as the big bad, because vampires aren't scary so much anymore.

He also kept Blade as Blade. Didn't throw on a bunch of OP powers. He's the best at what he does just being the modern version. You can give him a new weapon or ally, a subtle power like sensing the supernatural or even minor hypnotism. Anything beyond that is too much. You keep the core of the character intact and just write good stories.
    I'm a little more skeptical of this thinking. I want more:

Blade possesses superhuman strength, stamina, speed, agility, heightened senses, and a rapid healing factor that attacks any alien substances (chemicals/viruses) in his body. The healing factor also eliminates any chance of him being rendered helpless or maimed from the inside. Blade is unaffected by daylight and most other traditional vampire weaknesses. He also ages very slowly (although he is not immortal) and can preternaturally sense supernatural activity.
    I should know i'm dealing with something closer to spidey and morbius than cap or just a really tough human fighter

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...trip=1&vwsrc=0

I like glanced over a couple respect threads and he's strong and fast... faster than the human eye at times. Avoiding lazers and bullets... and strong REALLY strong.
    So I don't know. >_>) Hollywood doesn't have many consistent examples of what he should be doing... I mean he can JUMP tot he top of small buildings and the such, but he's not quicksilver or superman.

He should be a match for spidey like he was in so many books. and I want it to play off what was set forth in Doc Strange.

The book of the Darkhold was big thing in blades stories for a while and I want him dealing with that type of thing, but I understand what you mean... I don't want him to be something in the vein of "Hellboy" either
    so maybe its better to err on the side your speaking on.
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 04-07-2020 at 10:48 PM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Mighty Member

I'm actually excited to see what his power level is like in a movie. Like do they make him more in line with black panther/winter soldier or like gamora/drax maybe

I think we've been spoiled a little bit with Marvel's success. $1 billion at the box office is still a crazy feat and the films that accomplished it all did it in different ways. No need to set the bar to Mount Everest here. Anyway, I'm just gonna remain hopeful for the best outcome.

As for Blade's powers. He should very clearly be superhuman. Vampires shouldn't be something a run of the mill or trained human can takedown. Their different types of vampires with different: origins, races, ages, strengths all with varying abilities etc.. The very base vampire should greatly outclass a human on multiple fronts.

In previous threads, people were talking about adding things like changing him into a bat or throwing all these wonky Inspector Gadget powers onto him, which is a terrible idea.

Super strength, super speed, healing factor. Basic vampire abilities without any of their weaknesses or detriments. Save other OP vampire abilities like turning into mist, bats, telekinesis or magic for high-level vampires like Dracula or other noble or ancient vampires. They should be that ridiculous boss in a video game that Blade overcomes.

The only new powers I'm okay with them introducing is a supernatural sixth sense and maybe hypnosis if they don't go overboard with it. Remember how they used it with Blade against Hulk in the Ultimate Universe? that was well done, it should be shuttle something done in a specific situation.

I'm not worried about Marvel showing Blade as superhuman. Considering how they bumped up Captain America's stats and BPs stats over the years, and how strong Morbius looks in his new trailer. There is no way Blade isn't distinctly superhuman. I just wonder how fast they will make him or if he'll have another gear when he drinks blood.

My only pet peeve with vampires in Marvel is that normal humans shouldn't be able to take out vampires like they are other cannon fodder humans. Their vampire hunters before Blade came around, but it should be really difficult. It should take multiple highly trained hunters, always in teams, with meticulous planning. Then they'll still fail after all that. Blade is the hunter that re-writes all the rules. He can fight vampires on equal ground. To the point where he is a one-man army. That's Blade.
    The J-man

Mighty Member

Thought this was a really cool piece:

Mighty Member

Mighty Member

Found the complete work. This has to be a cover I am assuming. Anyone know the artist?

Mighty Member

Always loved this cover:

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    Found the complete work. This has to be a cover I am assuming. Anyone know the artist?
    That’s Ultimate Blade.

They should just make Blade look like Snake Eyes without the visor, and show his face. Why is that so hard?

7E9F92A1-141A-49C1-B409-728221C7199A.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post

it's from the Ultimate Comics event written by Mark Millar. If you google that you can probably determine who the artist is
    The J-man