Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    these two videos are why I think Blade could be successful even relative to other marvel movies. Like comic book nerds see it as more "authentic" in terms of being hallmark, some didn't see Black Panther, if done well it could touch on a lot of the same cultural themes (like the first did), and they'll have the opportunity to flesh out the world he's going to operate in before his movie and really build the hype. I know we'll see if built up in Moon Knight some and probably Dr. Strange.
    Blade is interesting because he was such a lesser-known character at the time, even among comic fans. The film could do whatever it wanted. They took him in a different direction and changed the character forever. They even portrayed vampires differently in some ways then they had been before.

The Blade movies are truly multi-genre especially in the way they are shot. We are talking about: action, "kungfu," horror and superhero all rolled into one. It had a unique esthetic which you see co-opted by later films (The Matrix, Under World, etc. etc.).

Again we are gonna disagree on the cultural impact. At the time Blade came out it was very different. Blade kicked off the modern superhero genre. You didn't have black leads in roles like this or represented like this. In the 90s, we are talking Will Smith and Wesley Snipes. Denzel was more selective with his movies at the time doing more Oscar-like films. Sam Jackson wasn't the lead in big-budget films yet. The action stars of the 80s only reached a certain level and many had kind of faded from lead roles at that point.

Sundiata Keita Cha-Jua puts it best in my opinion:

At the time Blade was a cultural revolution no doubt. He changed the genre. You can make several analogies about Blade if you want to dig deeper. Race, class, big government it's all layered in the first and second movies. But Blade didn't arise in the social media era, didn't have the budget or marketing BP had nor did have Disney behind it.

Black Panther was way more in your face about it. The film was marketed really well had a budget on par with other blockbusters. Not to mention it had a historic black cast, possibly the largest for a film of that budget. Set in Africa. Wakanda is just as big a character as anyone else. There are a couple of other themes, but BP isn't subtle it's just more nuanced for a Marvel superhero film which at their cores usually pretty simplistic or blatant in their messaging.

I think Blade can inhabit different spaces, as a unique hero and as Black lead. Again he's a multi-genre hero. He can't fully inhabit the same space BP and Wakanda does, that's its own thing, but Blade can be unique in his own right.

I'll support the new film, but I'm a little wary. Unlike the first film, this new film has expectations to live up to, set by the first two movies. I don't know if the new film will try to stay true to the originals or do something new. Disney is very unlikely to make an R-Rated film. Lastly, sometimes Disney plays it safe as they did with the Star Wars films.

So, I'm more in a wait and see approach. I think MCU films, in general, have more of a cushion for success because some of the films that did well at the box office weren't that amazing imo, but nothing is guaranteed. I need to see who the director is. The promotional art and a trailer.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post

Never thought about it that deep. I knew nothing about the cure being related to sickle cell, which is mostly a black disease, right?

But, I think Blade would be more popular if they made him a little more human than he is now. I have an idea or two, but I think the pro’s should handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Never thought about it that deep. I knew nothing about the cure being related to sickle cell, which is mostly a black disease, right?

But, I think Blade would be more popular if they made him a little more human than he is now. I have an idea or two, but I think the pro’s should handle it.
    yeah, I stumbled across this video years ago and it kind of blew my mind. Had to go back and rewatch the whole movie

well, the thing with Blade is he really only has those movies for his pop culture relevancy.

Marvel doesn't use him as a mainstay in the comics. He doesn't have any next-gen video games. Considering his comic origins it's amazing he's as popular as he is
    The J-man

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Blade is interesting because he was such a lesser-known character at the time, even among comic fans. The film could do whatever it wanted. They took him in a different direction and changed the character forever. They even portrayed vampires differently in some ways then they had been before.

The Blade movies are truly multi-genre especially in the way they are shot. We are talking about: action, "kungfu," horror and superhero all rolled into one. It had a unique esthetic which you see co-opted by later films (The Matrix, Under World, etc. etc.).

Again we are gonna disagree on the cultural impact. At the time Blade came out it was very different. Blade kicked off the modern superhero genre. You didn't have black leads in roles like this or represented like this. In the 90s, we are talking Will Smith and Wesley Snipes. Denzel was more selective with his movies at the time doing more Oscar-like films. Sam Jackson wasn't the lead in big-budget films yet. The action stars of the 80s only reached a certain level and many had kind of faded from lead roles at that point.

At the time Blade was a cultural revolution no doubt. He changed the genre. You can make several analogies about Blade if you want to dig deeper. Race, class, big government it's all layered in the first and second movies. But Blade didn't arise in the social media era, didn't have the budget or marketing BP had nor did have Disney behind it.

Black Panther was way more in your face about it. The film was marketed really well had a budget on par with other blockbusters. Not to mention it had a historic black cast, possibly the largest for a film of that budget. Set in Africa. Wakanda is just as big a character as anyone else. There are a couple of other themes, but BP isn't subtle it's just more nuanced for a Marvel superhero film which at their cores usually pretty simplistic or blatant in their messaging.

I think Blade can inhabit different spaces, as a unique hero and as Black lead. Again he's a multi-genre hero. He can't fully inhabit the same space BP and Wakanda does, that's its own thing, but Blade can be unique in his own right.

I'll support the new film, but I'm a little wary. Unlike the first film, this new film has expectations to live up to, set by the first two movies. I don't know if the new film will try to stay true to the originals or do something new. Disney is very unlikely to make an R-Rated film. Lastly, sometimes Disney plays it safe as they did with the Star Wars films.

So, I'm more in a wait and see approach. I think MCU films, in general, have more of a cushion for success because some of the films that did well at the box office weren't that amazing imo, but nothing is guaranteed. I need to see who the director is. The promotional art and a trailer.
    Let’s not forget the predecessor in the form of Meteor Man!

Last edited by Electricmastro; 05-14-2020 at 09:15 PM.

Mighty Member

Mighty Member

Mighty Member

Haven't seen that first one before. Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    Haven't seen that first one before. Crazy
    I know right. *Tablet press and hold, save to photos*

All it needs is color. I don’t know how.

I got these nice Blade movie gifs but I forgot how to post them. Lol. It’s not just hosting them, im missing a step. I figured it out before somehow.
    Last edited by Vanguard; 05-12-2020 at 09:26 PM.

yeah, I stumbled across this video years ago and it kind of blew my mind. Had to go back and rewatch the whole movie

well, the thing with Blade is he really only has those movies for his pop culture relevancy.

Marvel doesn't use him as a mainstay in the comics. He doesn't have any next-gen video games. Considering his comic origins it's amazing he's as popular as he is
    He’s got a simple but killer design, he fills a rather unique niche in the MU, and he has fairly unique powers, especially as a black superhero. Honestly if Marvel had used him more over the years I think he would’ve been huge. I first met him playing Uktimate Alliance as a kid and I liked him so much I made him one of my mains because he was just damn cool.

Niffleheim

aw you posted it. I wasn't going to post that one so I could just pretend it didn't happpen
    The J-man

Niffleheim

aw you posted it. I wasn't going to post that one so I could just pretend it didn't happpen
    I figured as much but i still liked the youtiber's view points than the usual commentary of making Wesley the villain for everything that went wrong with Trinity.

Has Blade been shown to be good with a bow and arrow?

... anything heard about Blade getting an anime' again? just letting a Japanese company run with it for a good while?

anybody use blade for tabletop RPG games?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Has Blade been shown to be good with a bow and arrow?

... anything heard about Blade getting an anime' again? just letting a Japanese company run with it for a good while?

anybody use blade for tabletop RPG games?
    I don't recall him using a bow and arrow but he has been shown using a crossbow.