Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

I have to show my boy Blade some love.

May 2020 bring my second favorite gritty Marvel hero (after only Dare Devil) great things.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

Blade is in for an interesting decade, especially with all these vampire developments and the movies.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Blade is in for an interesting decade, especially with all these vampire developments and the movies.
    I'm just worried. We've been getting Blade in a bunch of cool stories, which is a blessing because there was a 4-5 year period where he was just no where, but I do miss stories that really center on him as a character and give him a level of emotional depth. I have a feeling Aaron will do that somewhat with him, but I don't get the same sense from Tini.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    yea, in one of the "war of the worlds" avengers tie-ins, you see that gorilla man from the agents of wakanda is under Sarge's control
    oh boy! Yep looks like you're right. Somehow I missed this.

It would be really cool if they pulled a Blade 2, and Blade was aware of this the whole time

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I was thinking about the Morbius book: what if the rat men attack Spiderman and Morbius just gets blamed for it? And Blade doesn't go all in trying to murder him?
    I highly doubt Morbius gets killed, Marvel wants to hype him before his movie. They are also oddly paitning him as a hero despite killing several people. Spider-Man doesn't come off the greatest imo. Saving Morbius life from the hunter feels like him, but I feel like Spider-Man wouldn't just go along with him all willy nilly he would try to take him down and get him to one of his super genius friends for a cure. So Blade isn't going to kill Morbius but hopefully he gets some good showings. I mean this human hunter was doing work on Morbius.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    I'm just worried. We've been getting Blade in a bunch of cool stories, which is a blessing because there was a 4-5 year period where he was just no where, but I do miss stories that really center on him as a character and give him a level of emotional depth. I have a feeling Aaron will do that somewhat with him, but I don't get the same sense from Tini.
    He'd need a solo or mini for that type of depth. Not like a shared story with Wolverine or an Avengers arc. I think we are getting as good as we get till he gets his movie.

Tini's book is just a fun team up that has some witty/quippy dialogue. At best we can hope for some cool fight scenes/feats and funny dialogue. She's juggling too many characters. Marvel's not really markeitng the book, so I'll be surprised if it goes past 12 issues. When books throw in Deadpool around the third arc I always get the feeling its in an efort to boost sales.

The positive take away from this book is we can show Blade leading a team of well known heroes (more than Vanguard) and he's fighting monsters outside of Vampires. These are all pluses for Blade going forward. As long as he doesn't get embarrassed. I can live with it. I've already gotten the measure of this book and I'm honestly not expecting anything too epic regading Blade. Some funny dialogue, maybe some romance (probably not, but I can dream darn it)
    The J-man

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    oh boy! Yep looks like you're right. Somehow I missed this.

It would be really cool if they pulled a Blade 2, and Blade was aware of this the whole time

I highly doubt Morbius gets killed, Marvel wants to hype him before his movie. They are also oddly paitning him as a hero despite killing several people. Spider-Man doesn't come off the greatest imo. Saving Morbius life from the hunter feels like him, but I feel like Spider-Man wouldn't just go along with him all willy nilly he would try to take him down and get him to one of his super genius friends for a cure. So Blade isn't going to kill Morbius but hopefully he gets some good showings. I mean this human hunter was doing work on Morbius.

He'd need a solo or mini for that type of depth. Not like a shared story with Wolverine or an Avengers arc. I think we are getting as good as we get till he gets his movie.

Tini's book is just a fun team up that has some witty/quippy dialogue. At best we can hope for some cool fight scenes/feats and funny dialogue. She's juggling too many characters. Marvel's not really markeitng the book, so I'll be surprised if it goes past 12 issues. When books throw in Deadpool around the third arc I always get the feeling its in an efort to boost sales.

The positive take away from this book is we can show Blade leading a team of well known heroes (more than Vanguard) and he's fighting monsters outside of Vampires. These are all pluses for Blade going forward. As long as he doesn't get embarrassed. I can live with it. I've already gotten the measure of this book and I'm honestly not expecting anything too epic regading Blade. Some funny dialogue, maybe some romance (probably not, but I can dream darn it)
    Yea I guess I mistook the tone that Tini was going for. When you look back at the first New Avengers book or X-Force you had a bunch of character but still had team development. I think its a gift and a curse, because I think writers these days want to give all fans their fix for particular characters every month, but that sometimes prevents the space for 2 or 3 characters from getting a real deep focus then maybe shifting to others as the series goes on

can't wait for these characters to be in the MCU.

I feel like the movies did a good job with deacon frost and Blade's mother, but they've dropped the ball with Dracula and some other vampires. Nomak and the reapers were cool, but the MCU needs to do Dracula and some other vampires justice. It seems like Morbius is on the right path.
    The J-man

Mighty Member

Yea the past few years they've really built in a few stories and rogues that would be amazing to see on screen.

Spirits of Vengeance was kinda average, but I feel like thatd be a great movie.

Damnation obviously has to be done at some point. Maybe that's Dr. Strange 3 or Midnight Sons if they decide to actually make that a whole movie.

I feel like this whole Avengers vampire arc could be a great premise for Blade 2 in the MCU.

Mighty Member

I feel like the movies did a good job with deacon frost and Blade's mother, but they've dropped the ball with Dracula and some other vampires. Nomak and the reapers were cool, but the MCU needs to do Dracula and some other vampires justice. It seems like Morbius is on the right path.
    I don't think Marvel cares about Dracula; they always seem to be dumping on him, like making him a stupid racist.

Shadow Colonel would be good. Have him voiced by someone like a James Earl Jones. Not JEJ, but someone similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Shadow Colonel would be good. Have him voiced by someone like a James Earl Jones. Not JEJ, but someone similar.
    sound slike a good idea to give him a cool imposing voice

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    I don't think Marvel cares about Dracula; they always seem to be dumping on him, like making him a stupid racist.
    wait Dracula's racist? Is there a scan or something?

Dracula's had his moments in recent years. He's outplayed everyone in Wolverine and the Avengers so far. Ever since they changed his look up I believe he's suppose to be more menacing. I probably haven't seen every appearance, but everything indicates Marvel gearing up for a big Vampire Event.

Even back in 2009 with Captain Britain: MI13 was pretty good for him till the end. I'm not gonna go into the Blade 2006 run, but his encounter with Deadpool was par with everyone's encounter with him basically.
    The J-man

Fantastic Member

sound slike a good idea to give him a cool imposing voice

wait Dracula's racist? Is there a scan or something?

Dracula's had his moments in recent years. He's outplayed everyone in Wolverine and the Avengers so far. Ever since they changed his look up I believe he's suppose to be more menacing. I probably haven't seen every appearance, but everything indicates Marvel gearing up for a big Vampire Event.

Even back in 2009 with Captain Britain: MI13 was pretty good for him till the end. I'm not gonna go into the Blade 2006 run, but his encounter with Deadpool was par with everyone's encounter with him basically.
    In the classic days, he has said some things that were likely more so due to him being old and not PC.

They even once made Frost say some less than racially appropriate things toward Blade, telling him that he gave Blade's life purpose and without him, Blade would either be in prison, or a junkie. Which was obviously meant to imply that being black, he'd have ended up in such a situation. Personally, I don't see Frost, in his best versions as even needing that kind of bigotry because he should only see humans as being either food, or a resource to be used for his own ends.

Extraordinary Member

I guess I don't see the problem with characters like Dracula and Deacon Frost being racist.

In real life, Dracula certainly held some racist views towards Muslims due in part to his upbringing in a sultan's court. Said sultan was a well known pedophile who chased Vlad's younger, prettier brother up a tree and said brother seems to have developed Stockholm Syndrome from the experience.

Now, I don't think we really want to see that in a comic and even that isn't really an acceptable reason to hate all Muslims, but taking away Dracula's racism is just trying to be a bit too inoffensive.

In real life? Are you referring to Vlad the Impaler?

guess I'll have to review some old comics.

Probably won't change my opinion on the character one way or another (kind of like the Joker, Killing Joke debate)
    The J-man

Mighty Member

He was racist back in the tomb of the dracula days. I cant remember exactly but he used to throw around epithets on occasion. Then in MI:13 he was definitely written as a racist.

Extraordinary Member

In real life? Are you referring to Vlad the Impaler?

guess I'll have to review some old comics.

Probably won't change my opinion on the character one way or another (kind of like the Joker, Killing Joke debate)
    Yes, in real life. And this is one thing the two versions share, their racism.

No writer will likely ever go near the molestation stuff, which is fine.