Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default why do people say the MCU Spider-man is accurate to high school?

I see people say the MCU Spider-man felt the closest like real life high school but i honestly don’t see. Maybe it’s because it’s in NYC and i don’t live in NY or because Peter goes to what looks like a gifted school focusing on science but i don’t feel like it was realistic. Granted i don’t think most hollywood movies ever show high school realistically and Spider Man Homecoming follows some cliches like students spending 20 minutes talking in the hallways or teachers being oblivious. For anyone who has gone to high school in NYC is this accurate at all you your experience?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    I see people say the MCU Spider-man felt the closest like real life high school but i honestly don’t see.
    The actors are young looking, the cast is diverse, as is the background of Queens. So on that level it does feel closest to a real life high school in the 21st Century compared to Sam Raimi's and Marc Webb's films. In fact the MCU Spider-Man is more accurate to contemporary high school life than even Ditko-Lee and Bendis were in the original Spider-Man run and in USM to early 60s and late 90s teen zeitgeist. Among the actors. Tom Holland was 21 when he played Peter in Homecoming, which makes him younger than Tobey (27 at the time of Spider-Man 1) and Andrew Garfield (29 at the time of TASM-1), and of course he looks even younger than 21.

So MCU Spider-Man does feel closer to "real life high school" in comparison to other depictions you see in previous movies and cartoons. OF course, being closer to real life doesn't mean better, or more accurate to the original comics, and so on. And being accurate to high school life is in the end not the main or sole purpose of Spider-Man the character in either comics or films.

Maybe it’s because it’s in NYC and i don’t live in NY or because Peter goes to what looks like a gifted school focusing on science but i don’t feel like it was realistic. Granted i don’t think most hollywood movies ever show high school realistically and Spider Man Homecoming follows some cliches like students spending 20 minutes talking in the hallways or teachers being oblivious. For anyone who has gone to high school in NYC is this accurate at all you your experience?
    At the end of the day, MCU Spider-Man i.e. Homecoming and FFH are movies, and in this case, they are superhero movies. So it's not gonna be a documentary about high school life like say Frederick Wiseman's High School (a documentary made in the 1960s) or the sequel High School II (made in the 1990s). So even with the most attentive film-makers, it's not going to be 1:1. So if you feel that MCU Spider-Man isn't true to high school as you know it, then it's fine and it's fair. Like you know Harry Potter novels is modeled on life in a British style Boarding school based on Victorian England. As someone aware of that system I can tell you that the HP is fairly romanticized and white-washed (for one thing such boarding schools were historically not co-ed) and not accurate to schooling in England or the Commonwealth. But at heart it's about a universal experience of schooling and its a fantastic abstraction.

Even teenage movies in general, i.e. general high school movies as opposed to high school superhero movies, aren't accurate to high school. They are in most cases movies with actors older than teenage roles (owing to rules about minors acting and not being able to work many hours, as well as issues about say romance and other elements film-makers and writers want to feature).

I will say that the movies as per the director and producers are based on John Hughes movies made in the '80s which feature cliches like students talking in hallways and so on. The references as such are dated and past the contemporary era. But at the same time 80s nostalgia is an authentic phenomenon over the 2010s so even then MCU does reflect parts of contemporary teenage life. The fact is also that teenage life changes rapidly and suddenly so stuff dates fast. What might seem authentic in 2017 (when Homecoming came out) could look pretty stale and dated now. Peter Parker being a little too nice and obsequious to authority is one example.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 06-08-2020 at 06:07 PM.

I see people say the MCU Spider-man felt the closest like real life high school but i honestly don’t see. Maybe it’s because it’s in NYC and i don’t live in NY or because Peter goes to what looks like a gifted school focusing on science but i don’t feel like it was realistic. Granted i don’t think most hollywood movies ever show high school realistically and Spider Man Homecoming follows some cliches like students spending 20 minutes talking in the hallways or teachers being oblivious. For anyone who has gone to high school in NYC is this accurate at all you your experience?
    What do you feel is unrealistic about the depiction of high school, beyond typical well-reviewed film depictions of high school?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Didn’t Tom Holland actually sit in at a real NYC high school to feel out the role prior to acting in the first movie?

But yes, I did go to a real specialized science high school in NYC myself, and the depiction definitely is a lot more accurate than the previous two attempts in terms of bringing to life the diversity of those schools, and having kids that feel like the right age.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Probalus View Post
    Didn’t Tom Holland actually sit in at a real NYC high school to feel out the role prior to acting in the first movie?
    Apparently he did for a month but that kind of stuff helps just one actor's performance, it has nothing to do with the writing, direction, and production design choices.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    What do you feel is unrealistic about the depiction of high school, beyond typical well-reviewed film depictions of high school?
    well for one Peter leaving his spider web serum in his desk when chances are someone will stumble on it. Peter leaving detention for no reason, skipping out on the academic contest in D.C. and screwing around in the workshop and not leading to a suspension for one. Or the fact what i assume is a public school can afford trips to Europe. And if it is a private school how exactly does aunt may afford to send him there? Aren’t the Parkers suppose to be at best struggling middle class? In Spider Man it looks like an average public HS and in TASM the HS looks kinda shitty. I’m not even sure why High School became such a huge part of Spider Man tbh. I see people say the actors look the part but honestly for TASM besides Emma Stone i didn’t feel like anyone was too old looking. Maybe it’s because at my old high school we had a lot of kids who looked older but it never bothered me

Plus i’m fond of the changes to spidey’s supporting cast like nerdy Flash Thompson yet people say he is a more realistic bully. No he is the one who gets bullied

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Probalus View Post

But yes, I did go to a real specialized science high school in NYC myself, and the depiction definitely is a lot more accurate than the previous two attempts in terms of bringing to life the diversity of those schools, and having kids that feel like the right age.
    Why because it had one Muslim girl? And I personally disagree. I really didn’t feel like most of the main characters felt like teens ie Peter, Liz, Ned etc. Flash felt like a caricature. I guess some of the club members were actual teens but they barely did or say anything.

BANNED

Or the fact what i assume is a public school can afford trips to Europe.
    Yeah that part definitely stuck out and felt really unrealistic. But in any case, the question is about the MCU Spider-Man's high school setting.

I’m not even sure why High School became such a huge part of Spider Man tbh.
    It actually started around 2000 (before that Peter wasn't really considered a high school hero in any significant sense) and the reasons were largely marketing/editorial grudges and fans running the asylum.

I really didn’t feel like most of the main characters felt like teens ie Peter, Liz, Ned etc. Flash felt like a caricature.
    I get what you are saying, I even agree with you in spirit, but I have to say you are conflating a bunch of stuff. You are conflating presentation and setting with execution and development.

Peter's high school in Homecoming visually and casting-wise does look more like high school today than any previous version ever reflected their contemporary situation. That is quite separate from everything else, i.e. how much time the movie takes in presenting aspects of high school life, how realistic it is to the consequences of being an erratic student.

Your OP asked the question on whether MCU Spider-Man is more accurate to high school than other versions. Everything else you mention, i.e. MCU Spider-Man is overall a bad movie and so on (which I agree with) is quite apart from that. I think what you want is to pivot the question as to "whether it's valuable for Spider-Man to reflect teenage life in any realistic sense" because that is honestly a more interesting question. Ultimately, MCU Spider-Man is a superhero story first and a high school story second. The high school stuff is just background detail and the emotional center of these movies is Peter's relationship with Tony Stark. You can poke a lot of holes into the MCU Spider-Man movies about realism and so on, but that wouldn't alter the fact that visually its presentation of high school setting is more realistic than earlier versions i.e. your OP. Ultimately the flaws of the MCU Spider-Man as movies and as stories does not lie with the setting nor with the casting.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 06-09-2020 at 04:49 AM.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I like Tom Holland's Peter's dynamic with his classmates because they struck a better balance of justifying exactly why he is a bit of a loner. The whole "i'm super smart and a nerd so I get picked on by everyone" trope is a relic. Not that their aren't kids who still bully others in schools, but that specific type of storyline is oldhat. And both Maguire and Garfield's Peter Parkers ran with it full force, and in Garfield's case it was even more awkward because the writers had to overcompensate for him being more conventionally attractive.

With Tom Holland, his Peter is just a giant flake because of his double life.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I like Tom Holland's Peter's dynamic with his classmates because they struck a better balance of justifying exactly why he is a bit of a loner.
    To be honest, I don't think they do that. Because Tom Holland's Peter isn't in fact a loner. He's got Ned Leeds as a sidekick and friend and he's reasonably well liked. Sure Flash harasses him but nobody else likes Flash (unlike the original comics where Flash was really popular in school).

The whole "i'm super smart and a nerd so I get picked on by everyone" trope is a relic. Not that their aren't kids who still bully others in schools, but that specific type of storyline is oldhat.
    If it's oldhat because it's become a cliche and stale, that's not the same as not being realistic. Loners do exist still today. They will most likely always exist. Not everyone is able to make friends easily. Not everyone is open or comfortable about being so. And the desire to be "cool" exists even among today's more progressive kids.

That's how that issue was dealt with in Sam Raimi's movies and in the comics too. In HOMECOMING the effect is reduced because so many people know Peter's identity and can cover for him or have his back rather than him dealing with it all on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I like Tom Holland's Peter's dynamic with his classmates because they struck a better balance of justifying exactly why he is a bit of a loner. The whole "i'm super smart and a nerd so I get picked on by everyone" trope is a relic. Not that their aren't kids who still bully others in schools, but that specific type of storyline is oldhat. And both Maguire and Garfield's Peter Parkers ran with it full force, and in Garfield's case it was even more awkward because the writers had to overcompensate for him being more conventionally attractive.

Well, Holland's Peter is a giant flake who, aside from one detention, seems to get a pass for it more often then he would have in the comics or in real life.

I get that the old school depiction of Peter isn't necessarily as believable as it was back then but I think there's something to be said of what losing that sense of isolation as a character does to Peter. I also just can't buy into the Peter/Flash dynamic in the movies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I get that the old school depiction of Peter isn't necessarily as believable as it was back then but I think there's something to be said of what losing that sense of isolation as a character does to Peter.
    The "old school depiction of Peter" as a loner who doesn't have friends and so on is not such an uncommon thing in real life. That some people don't find it believable has more to do with how often people see it, so it feels cliche and trite, but there are still teenagers and young adults across the world who have difficulty making friends, who have a sense of isolation, who experience a level of persecution for it (either overtly or covertly) and anxiety and so on.

That stuff will in all likelihood never change, for better and for worse.

Astonishing Member

MCU Spider-Man is more like a real high school in the sense it has more diversity. The same goes for the people Peter generally interacts with in Queens.

I don't know if Peter's social status has anything to do with realism. The problem with comparing to MCU Peter to other Peters is that the former's history is a blank canvas. We know next-to-nothing about his social status pre-spider bite. I get not doing the origin, but it's hard to draw conclusions on what came before when the protagonist won't even reflect on earlier events in his life in the context of the story (and when the films think that personal introspection doesn't matter). That's where the perception of MCU Peter not being a loner comes from, I think. His social life is honestly not too different from where it was under Bendis and Romita, but their versions never had the problem MCU Spider-Man has.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 06-09-2020 at 12:21 PM.

well for one Peter leaving his spider web serum in his desk when chances are someone will stumble on it. Peter leaving detention for no reason, skipping out on the academic contest in D.C. and screwing around in the workshop and not leading to a suspension for one. Or the fact what i assume is a public school can afford trips to Europe. And if it is a private school how exactly does aunt may afford to send him there? Aren’t the Parkers suppose to be at best struggling middle class? In Spider Man it looks like an average public HS and in TASM the HS looks kinda shitty. I’m not even sure why High School became such a huge part of Spider Man tbh. I see people say the actors look the part but honestly for TASM besides Emma Stone i didn’t feel like anyone was too old looking. Maybe it’s because at my old high school we had a lot of kids who looked older but it never bothered me

Plus i’m fond of the changes to spidey’s supporting cast like nerdy Flash Thompson yet people say he is a more realistic bully. No he is the one who gets bullied
    One messy thing in New York City is that someone as smart as Peter Parker can probably get into a specialized high school, which is a selective public school with amazing resources.

So that seems to be the type of school Peter goes to in the MCU.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I don't know if Peter's social status has anything to do with realism.
    I don't think the decisions were taken with the intention of "Let's make a seriously accurate look at high school life today and have Spider-Man comment on that". The decision was "We need to make a Spider-Man movie". That's how it starts. First you choose to tell the story of Spider-Man and then you make a decision about everything else. It had to do with giving the character and situation a distinct look that sets it apart from the previous Spider-Man films. It had to do with the choice of having Spider-Man start out as a teenager again. Then casting based on that and so on. All the stuff about "Spider-Man reflecting reality" and so on, that's all marketing driven.

The problem with comparing to MCU Peter to other Peters is that the former's history is a blank canvas. We know next-to-nothing about his social status pre-spider bite. I get not doing the origin, but it's hard to draw conclusions on what came before when the protagonist won't even reflect on earlier events in his life in the context of the story (and when the films think that personal introspection doesn't matter). That's where the perception of MCU Peter not being a loner comes from, I think. His social life is honestly not too different from where it was under Bendis and Romita, but their versions never had the problem MCU Spider-Man has.
    True enough.

Tom Holland's Peter Parker at heart isn't really a character. He's essentially a stand-in for the MCU Fan or to be precise, who Marvel/Disney imagine their teen demographic should be like. Spider-Man in the MCU movies is basically a team mascot and cheerleader, there for the benefit of Tony Stark at his own expense. So the MCU Spider-Man probably looks a good deal and reflects the kind of relationship Disney/Marvel wants to cultivate with its fans. So you know in the first movie, Peter and Ned have a LEGO Star Wars set (that would be quite expensive). The next movie has the kids on a classtrip to Europe which in all likelihood most of them couldn't afford.

So the MCU Spider-Man is realistic in the sense of being a snapshot of the target demographic. It's not realistic in stuff like characterization, detail, emotional truth, psychology and other social layers.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 06-09-2020 at 12:48 PM.