Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Miguel O'Hara: Spider-Man 2099 Appreciation 2020

Miguel O'Hara; Spider-Man 2099 Appreciation!

Wikipedia blurb;

"Spider-Man 2099 is a fictional superhero appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. The character was created by Peter David and Rick Leonardi in 1992 for Marvel's Marvel 2099 comic book line, and is a futuristic re-imagining of his namesake created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. Miguel O'Hara, a brilliant geneticist living in New York (renamed Nueva York) in the year 2099 attempts to recreate the abilities of the original Spider-Man in other people and later suffers a related accident that causes half his DNA to be re-written with a spider's genetic code. The character is voiced by Oscar Isaac in a post-credits scene in the animated film Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

Miguel eventually becomes head of the genetics program of Alchemax, intended to create new corporation-controlled super-powered soldiers called "corporate raiders." Miguel is specifically inspired by surviving records concerning Spider-Man and hopes to one day create a similarly powered person. But after a human test subject dies during an early experiment, Miguel tells Tyler Stone he wishes to resign from Alchemax and discontinue his genetics research. Rather than let Miguel leave, Tyler Stone tricks him into taking Rapture, an addictive drug that genetically bonds to the user. Tyler reminds Miguel that only Alchemax is allowed to legally distribute this drug, so if O'Hara does not remain with the corporation then Tyler must assume he is getting the drug from the black market and will be forced to tell the police. Not wishing to be a blackmailed addict, Miguel recalls that he entered his own genetic code into his machine's databanks during initial experiments, using it as a human DNA test sample. Intending to use this older template of his pure genetic code to write over his current biology and free himself from the Rapture, Miguel sneaks into Alchemax and uses the gene alteration machines on himself.

After Miguel turns on the machine to rewrite his DNA, his jealous subordinate Aaron Delgado sabotages the machines, causing them to alter Miguel's genetic code to be "50% spider DNA." Miguel survives the process, but realizes he now has spider-abilities.

Realizing that there is now a person with abilities similar to Spider-Man, Tyler Stone sends agents to hunt this person. To conceal his identity while he fights his pursuers, Miguel dons a bodysuit with a mask that he once wore for the Mexican Day of the Dead festival. Miguel chooses this costume in particular because it is the only clothing he has that is made from "UMF" (Unstable Molecule Fabric), meaning it is the only clothing he owns that will not be torn or shred by the spider-talons that now occupy his hands and feet. After seeing him operate in public, a group of Thorites (worshippers of the Marvel hero Thor) come to believe that Miguel is the legendary Spider-Man back from the dead, and that he is the harbinger of Thor's eventual return."
    Collected Editions

2099 Classic
    * Spider-Man 2099 Vol. 1
    * Spider-Man 2099 Vol. 2
    * Spider-Man 2099 Vol. 3: The Fall of the Hammer
    * Spider-Man 2099 Vol. 4
    * Spider-Man 2099 vs Venom 2099
    * 2099 World of Tomorrow (#1-8)

2000's Spider-Man 2099

* Captain Marvel "Future Tense" (#27 to 29)
    * Exiles Ultimate Collection Book 5, Exiles Annual #1 (#75 to 89)
    * Exiles Ultimate Collection Book 6 (Exiles #90-100, Days Of Then & Now; X-Men: Die By The Sword #1-5)
    * Timestorm 2009/2099 (Timestorm 2009/2099 #1-4, Spider-Man One-Shot, And X-Men One-Shot)

The Return of Spider-Man 2099

* Superior Spider-Man (#17 to 19)
    * Spider-Man 2099 Vol 1: Out of Time
    * Spider-Man 2099 Vol 2: Spider-verse
    * Secret Wars 2099
    * Spider-Man 2099 Vol 3: Smack to the Future
    * Spider-Man 2099 Vol 4: Gods & Women
    * Spider-Man 2099 Vol 5: Civil War II
    * Spider-Man 2099 Vol 6: Apocalypse Soon
    * Spider-Man 2099 Vol 7: Back to the Future Shock!
    * Marvel 2099 (2019)
    Last edited by Spiderfang; 01-01-2020 at 01:24 PM.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Happy New Year, Spider-Man 2099 .

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Shock, yeah! So, thoughts on the recent 2099 event, anyone? Mine are that it could have been a lot better and more cohesive than it ultimately was, though I did like some of the updated ideas about technology and society presented, as well as this version of Miguel being the one to herald the return of superheroes and become a rallying figure against Doom 2099. Oh, and the original Miguel getting some semblance of a happy ending with Tempest and their son Gabriel (named after Miguel's brother) from the last Spider-Man 2099 series was good, too.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

GOAT Spidey
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

I had no freaking idea that Miguel Mercado did a cover for this! His art style is so reminiscent of Norman Rockwell and you can see it here and on Lyla!

Last edited by KangMiRae; 01-04-2020 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    I had no freaking idea that Miguel Mercado did a cover for this! His art style is so reminiscent of Norman Rockwell and you can see it here and on Lyla!

Okay I love this, I'm going to need to get a framed poster edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Shock, yeah! So, thoughts on the recent 2099 event, anyone? Mine are that it could have been a lot better and more cohesive than it ultimately was, though I did like some of the updated ideas about technology and society presented, as well as this version of Miguel being the one to herald the return of superheroes and become a rallying figure against Doom 2099. Oh, and the original Miguel getting some semblance of a happy ending with Tempest and their son Gabriel (named after Miguel's brother) from the last Spider-Man 2099 series was good, too.
    The ending was lovely and non-traditional for an event. I'd read more of that world but Spencer will probably do more with the original Miguel in the main book.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    The ending was lovely and non-traditional for an event. I'd read more of that world but Spencer will probably do more with the original Miguel in the main book.
    Generally agreed. Given that Cyberpunk 2077 is coming out later this year and Altered Carbon has a Netflix series, I'm really hoping for a resurgence in the cyberpunk genre that gives us another shot at a Miguel O'Hara-centric series.

The previous thread- https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2019
    Could the OP add the link as a reference, to the top of the new thread.

Thanks for starting the new!
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-06-2020 at 07:13 AM.

My Second Favorite Other Spider-Man (after Miles Morales). Happy 2020 to Miguel. May the New Year bring him great things.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I've been slowly collecting the classic trades, I didn't realize how many more I still needed (vs Venom 2099 of classic, then volume 4 - 7 of the new series)

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Miguel is my #2 Spider-man.

Peter
    Miguel
    Ben

Hope to see him in a monthly again soon. The recent 2099 event is just a giant appetizer, where is my main course!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Miguel is my #2 Spider-man.

Peter
    Miguel
    Ben

Hope to see him in a monthly again soon. The recent 2099 event is just a giant appetizer, where is my main course!
    Agreed, which was what really disappointed me about this past year's 2099 relaunch.

Miguel telling off Jonah was certainly a highlight:

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Miguel telling off Jonah was certainly a highlight:
    That was a beautiful moment.