View Poll Results: where do you want Duke to go next?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • make him an official Robin

0 0%
  • Daytime hero as Signal (street level hero)

5 33.33%
  • public identity as The Signal (street level hero)

2 13.33%
  • new hero direction entirely

3 20.00%
  • Daytime hero as Signal (metahuman mythos)

2 13.33%
  • public identity as The Signal (metahuman mythos)

1 6.67%
  • retire and be a civilian ally

2 13.33%
Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    Is this a reference to Batman and the Outsiders where the team didn't really work together?

Also, here's some fanart from Twitter.

artist: slitheryss

I don't think it's that, I think they are hinting at something un the story where Black Lightning and Katana are gonna have to combine powers or be attached to each other in some capacity. While Outsiders team not working together was a major flaw I a) fan backlash to it wasnt too vocal and I don't think enough critics pointed that out for editorial to care and b) as far as we know we only know of three characters out of the 6 from the team (especially since Cass will be elsewhere), they wouldn't really have much ground to stand on with half the team.

also, I love that art! I saw it on tumblr a couple days ago and was meaning to post it; looks like you beat me to it LOL
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

some Duke love from Japan!(tweet)

also, while were talking Japan, Duke + Pikachu fanart by Aine M.

Last edited by lemonpeace; 11-15-2020 at 01:59 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

some Duke love from Japan!(tweet)
    Holy cow! That's nice!

art by orallechs

uhmmm weird flex(?) but sexy adult Duke

(source)
    Quote Originally Posted by @spaceboykenny
    shores of a solar sea
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 11-18-2020 at 09:34 PM.

currently following:

Duke living up to his name, being front and center for the coming war. also, nice touch (if intentional) by Snyder that Duke would be the one to spot them coming given his visual powers. I would like if we saw him on the ground getting in the mix but we're probably gonna skip over that like they did with the Justice/Doom war. Still, cool to see my boy out here thriving, rubbing shoulders with the biggest heroes in existence. if this were a more consistently written universe this should open his hero network up a lot going forward.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 11-18-2020 at 02:09 PM.

currently following:

Ultimate Member

uhmmm weird flex(?) but sexy adult Duke

(source)
    DMX is not amused....

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    DMX is not amused....
    but I bet D'Angelo is flattered

currently following:

Dark Multiverse: Dark Nights Metal preview featuring a sneak peek at our boy as The Last Monitor
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 11-19-2020 at 02:13 PM.

currently following:

Astonishing Member

That tease, tho.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

So a outsiders series is apart of the new batman anthology series but no Duke (or Cass for that matter) is involved: https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2020/1...knights-legacy

Hopefully we'll get some announcement this week about what's happening with Duke in March.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    So a outsiders series is apart of the new batman anthology series but no Duke (or Cass for that matter) is involved: https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2020/1...knights-legacy

Hopefully we'll get some announcement this week about what's happening with Duke in March.
    to be fair, we didn't know Duke was making an appearance in Outsiders: Future State on the first announcement either, so it is possible he's still in the story just not the focus in the part. it would be kinda weird that Duke would be in the Outsiders Future State story but not in this one, especially since it's from the same writer. hopefully if he is indeed not in the Outsiders story they announce him in something else soon, he's starting to get some momentum going, they should keep it going and continue to build Duke up after being broken down so regularly all throughout Hill's run.

currently following:

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

to be fair, we didn't know Duke was making an appearance in Outsiders: Future State on the first announcement either, so it is possible he's still in the story just not the focus in the part. it would be kinda weird that Duke would be in the Outsiders Future State story but not in this one, especially since it's from the same writer. hopefully if he is indeed not in the Outsiders story they announce him in something else soon, he's starting to get some momentum going, they should keep it going and continue to build Duke up after being broken down so regularly all throughout Hill's run.
    From the article I linked: " This saga reunites team members Black Lightning, Katana and Metamorpho, but this reunion quickly turns into a confrontation with the appearance of a figure from Katana’s past!"

Honestly, I'd rather Duke have a role somewhere else than show up in a book that can't bother to mention him in the solicit.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    From the article I linked: " This saga reunites team members Black Lightning, Katana and Metamorpho, but this reunion quickly turns into a confrontation with the appearance of a figure from Katana’s past!"

Honestly, I'd rather Duke have a role somewhere else than show up in a book that can't bother to mention him in the solicit.
    I can agree with that in principle but I'm not stressing it here; it's more about momentum for me. it would be nice having Duke in more Outsiders stories to further cement "yes, he is an Outsiders character" and not relegate his connection to just Hill's run. i rather they keep his momentum and visibility up, whether it's in a limited capacity or more in this case, so he has more of a chance to pop up else where. plus, this is only a one story out of an anthology title set in the Bat mythos, if people pick up his Tales from the Dark Multiverse story and show DC people want to read about him, he could easily have his own solo story (if he's not slated to already).
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-14-2020 at 09:51 PM.

currently following:

interesting tweet from one of the writers for Tales from the Dark Multiverse

I may be putting too much stock in what could just be a some flourish to hype and plug the book but "not NOT in continuity" could mean something. fingers crossed whatever him as "The Last Monitor" comes to mean it's something dope and compelling that connects to, or could be ported over to, his Signal persona in the main continuity.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-19-2020 at 11:06 PM.

currently following:

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Oh, that probably means it's not in continuity because it happened on a different Earth in the Dark Multiverse, but it's in continuity because Dark Multiverse is part of the larger canon Omniverse.

Being a Monitor in general's gonna have staying power though, at least in the background or during an event. It's something they can revisit later when they're making a cosmic story again.