View Poll Results: where do you want Duke to go next?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • make him an official Robin

0 0%
  • Daytime hero as Signal (street level hero)

5 33.33%
  • public identity as The Signal (street level hero)

2 13.33%
  • new hero direction entirely

3 20.00%
  • Daytime hero as Signal (metahuman mythos)

2 13.33%
  • public identity as The Signal (metahuman mythos)

1 6.67%
  • retire and be a civilian ally

2 13.33%
Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I don't mind the bat insignia because he's a legacy character and part of the Batfamily. All of them have it, even guys like Jason.
    two things about that:

1. the ones who have it are typically the ones with Bat in their names. Spoiler usually does not, unless she's Batgirl, Cass had it when she was Black Bat and Batgirl, Batwing, Batwoman, have it. Nightwing, does not have it, Robin does not have it, and Red Hood has only had it in one incarnation of his costume but even then he has gone back to not having it.
    2. my issue is not him having it in and of itself, it's the overuse of it in his design while having next to nothing in his design (besides the yellow color and reflect area) that affirms his identity. does the sun guy really need a bat on his boots, a bat on his chest, bat wings on his weapons, bat ears on his helmet, and a bat plastered over his face?

if the bat insignia was done tastefully, I wouldn't mind it. the reflective bat on his chest and maybe bat wings on his eskrima sticks would've been fine but his suit should be primarily about him, not Batman. that's the problem, you can not expect people to care about Duke as his own character if everything about his visual language tells you "Batman" or "Batman's flunkie" because then it begs the question: why am I reading about the yellow Batman ranger when I could be reading Batman? plus the fact that, supposedly, the suit being so overly developed was why Hamner ended up having trouble with his book, it's not even a practical design. the best character designs are simple enough that anyone can draw it (from kids who are fans to other creators that have to work on the character) and distinct enough that you're informed as to who the character is. Duke's design, while not the literal worst thing ever, fails at both of those things no matter how you slice it. if DC wants Duke to succeed, what they need to do is hone in on what makes him unique as a character, commit to a story that affirms his character, and redesign his costume to something less overproduced and more individualistic.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    How long did it take for Doomsday Clock to finish? Yet still sold despite hold tons of books and movement hostage.

The trade was not delayed.
    The trade not being delayed didn't change the mini's delay, nor its truncation, which, in turn, would not change any of the problems said delays and truncation may have led the book and its lead character to become exposed to.

Doomsday Clock does not feel comparable. Doomsday Clock wasn't at risk of being truncated. Leaving readers' minds wasn't a worry due to Doomsday Clock's marketing push and presence being strong. They were invested in making sure their big event project wasn't going to fail commercially. Batman and the Signal was not afforded that same luxury and diligence that would, for example, prevent a single artist's poor scheduling from negatively impacting the welfare of a writer (Tony Patrick) and a character getting a long due and deserved push (Duke Thomas). Last but not least, Doomsday Clock wasn't also pulling double duty of reaching new and established Duke Thomas fans. Delays wouldn't have caused those problems for Doomsday Clock.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 07-31-2020 at 03:57 PM.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

I don't mind a Joker war oneshot for Duke but I'm more interested in Duke popping up in Three Jokers. He'd be a good foil for Barbara and Jason and can act as the conscience for the story.
    "They're actually telling me how much they love me."
    This moment is so f*cking underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    "They're actually telling me how much they love me."
    This moment is so f*cking underrated.

Its a good moment.

I hope you guys don't mind the fanart. I think it's incredible.

Symeona

"Dark Knight Returns, but with Duke instead"

Symeona

"Bonding thru haircuts"

voidmash

"black & yellow"

I liked Duke and Cass's friendship and hope it continues in the future.

Whose in the second picture?

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    I hope you guys don't mind the fanart. I think it's incredible.

Symeona

"Dark Knight Returns, but with Duke instead"

Symeona

"Bonding thru haircuts"

voidmash

"black & yellow"

Damn these look good

I just love the second picture. DC needs to have male blakc hero with that look. And I think it's Cullen, Harper's brother with him, right ?

I liked Duke and Cass's friendship and hope it continues in the future.

Whose in the second picture?
    Like in the first picture: Carrie Kelley. Duke gives her a new haircut.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I just love the second picture. DC needs to have male black hero with that look. And I think it's Cullen, Harper's brother with him, right ?
    Agreed. That look is amazing. Probably a nightmare for artists because the hair looks time-consuming - but still amazing.

Duke Thomas (The Signal) by Phil Cho

Duke Thomas by MoscaDomestica
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 08-08-2020 at 09:32 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I read a wiki that Duke was expelled from his old high school during We Are Robin. What's the name of his high school in The Signal?

I dont think he was in school during the Signal miniseries.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I read a wiki that Duke was expelled from his old high school during We Are Robin. What's the name of his high school in The Signal?
    Don't recall him getting expelled from his old high school in We Are Robin. Would have to re-read the series, and maybe some of the buildup. Did that wiki source that statement?

I dont think he was in school during the Signal miniseries.
    Need to re-read The Signal mini, too. I know the original long-term plans mentioned in interviews was that Duke would be attending a new school. That's about it at the moment.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Don't recall him getting expelled from his old high school in We Are Robin. Would have to re-read the series, and maybe some of the buildup. Did that wiki source that statement?

Need to re-read The Signal mini, too. I know the original long-term plans mentioned in interviews was that Duke would be attending a new school. That's about it at the moment.
    Oh wait, nevermind, he's expelled from the soccer team, not the school.