View Poll Results: where do you want Duke to go next?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • make him an official Robin

0 0%
  • Daytime hero as Signal (street level hero)

5 33.33%
  • public identity as The Signal (street level hero)

2 13.33%
  • new hero direction entirely

3 20.00%
  • Daytime hero as Signal (metahuman mythos)

2 13.33%
  • public identity as The Signal (metahuman mythos)

1 6.67%
  • retire and be a civilian ally

2 13.33%
Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Duke Thomas: The Signal Appreciation 2020

We made it baby, Happy New Year!

I would say, due to Outsiders, Duke had a better 2019 than his 2018. new powers, some character work is being done, and most importantly he is being regularly used. here's hoping 2020 brings bigger better things for Gotham's Son of Light !

~~~~~

Created by: Scott Snyder (writer) Greg Capullo (artist)

First Appearance: Batman Vol 2 #21 (August 2013).

Powers: Duke is a metahuman with photokinetic vision, meaning, he has the ability to absorb light through his eyes faster than normal humans and manipulate the way he processes that light. This allows Duke to detect changes and variations in light that other people can't. Most notably, Duke can see the "ghosts" of where light has hit objects in his vicinity to see a few minutes into the past and glimpse into the future by seeing where light will be. Duke's precognitive abilities, plus his training from Batman and all of his former Robins, give him an edge in combat, being able to react faster to attacks than normally possible and even catch projectiles in some cases.

Duke's photokinetic vision can be uses in a variety of practical ways. He can see the entirety of the Electromagnetic Spectrum and can even see beyond the spectrum; this also allows him to follow and detect someone through walls, ceilings, and most materials. Duke can also focus his vision to see something at a great distance or to see extremely small objects down to the subdermal level. my boi is stacked with the practical superpowers

Duke's metahuman abilities come from naturally occurring traces of Nth metal in his bloodstream, inherited from both of his biological parents; Elaine Thomas and Gnomon. Duke's unique metahuman physiology gives him an affinity for Nth metal, often becoming reactive in the presence of powerful forms of Nth and/or 8th metal. Particularly potent forms of Nth metal can amplify his visions, allowing longer more vivid visions into the past and across dimensions, even hearing some audio

new power alert!

After experiencing the touch of Ishmael, Duke's abilities have "evolved" to include the ability to manipulate darkness. Duke describes his new powers as behaving like a tide, being able to pull shadows into him and spread them from him. how this ability will be applied practically is yet unknown.

Essential Reading

We are Robin (2015-2016) written by Lee Bermejo, art by Khary Randolph
    Robin War (2016) written by Various Writers, art by Various Artists
    Dark Days: The Forge & The Casting (2017) written by Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV, art by Jim Lee, Andy Kubert, and John Romita Jr.
    Batman and The Signal (2018) story by Scott Snyder, written by Tony Patrick, art by Cully Hamner
    Batman & the Outsider (2019-) written by Bryan Edward Hill, art by Dexter Soy & Veronica Gandini
    --

Link to the 2019 thread
    Link to the 2018 thread
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-01-2020 at 05:27 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Happy New Year to Duke .

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

"Duke is a metahuman with photokinetic vision, meaning, he has the ability to absorb light through his eyes faster than normal humans and manipulate the way he processes light. This allows Duke to detect changes and variations in light that other people can't. Most notably, Duke can see the "ghosts" of where light has hit the objects in his vicinity to see a few minutes into the past and glimpse into the future by seeing where the light will be."

So he's basically a living CSI kit.

That's freaking awesome. He should be more involved in detective stories.

Whats everyones hopes/predictions for Duke in 2020!

Happy new year Signal fans

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    I'm hoping Outsider carries on doing stories like it's latest arc but I'd also like to see Duke work with other members of the family especially Damian, Dick and Steph.

I'm hoping we get Duke on YJ TV show since we have Harper on there already so it's not so crazy to expect Duke.

Duke in the shared Animated Universe would be a dream.
    I wish we could go back to a solo title for Duke. His last mini was killed before it got the chance to grow any legs.

Those are my hopes. Predictions Duke will join YJ tv series

I wonder what plans DC has for Duke during 5g?

5G is supposed to be a 6 year timeskip so maybe a new status quo?

Giving him a solo set 6 years later could be pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    5G is supposed to be a 6 year timeskip so maybe a new status quo?

Giving him a solo set 6 years later could be pretty cool.
    I would kill for a timeskip Duke solo story; wspecially since if you age Duke up 5-6 years he's back in my age range again. my favorite character telling stories that speak directly to my life? I'd go broke! what career do you guys think Duke would find himself in if they do this timeskip? I'd wanna say some kind of journalist, have him be the new media to juxtapose Superman/Lois' old media style of journalism. I would love for him to be like a filmmaker or photographer, it plays off his light/shadow contrast motif well. photojournalism maybe?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

I could see him being a social worker like his mom.

yeah, that would be the most likely option but it would feel a little creatively lazy for me. I mean I get it, his parent (especially his mom) were huge sources of inspiration for Duke and they'll probably say he's "honoring his mother" or something, but I would love for Duke to continue to walk his own path even in his civilian life. plus i feel that characters with "caretaker" jobs (teacher, social worker, etc.) tend to get written as squares with less of an edge to them and i don't want that to be Duke; we have enough "upright outstanding brotha" types as is. While I wouldn't be particularly happy about it if that were to be the career they went with, I'd be interested to see how they'd handle that route regardless.

currently following:

After White Knight, I thought about him being a detective. Instead of Duke Cage, I'd make him Duke Holmes. My whole Tim is a Looking Glass type detective would work for Duke as well.

After White Knight, I thought about him being a detective. Instead of Duke Cage, I'd make him Duke Holmes. My whole Tim is a Looking Glass type detective would work for Duke as well.
    ouu that would be interesting! sure it's probably more than a little cliche if not simply on the nose for a superhero to work in law enforcement BUT i think it comes down to how well they pull it off. We could split the difference between Holmesian sleuthing and Luke Cage grittiness by making him a P.I., be like a Duke Jones ( a la Jessica Jones); peeling back the shadows and shedding light on the DC universe's dirty little secrets. it lets his character have an edge, allows him to help the downtrodden and disenfranchised (like his mother), I get the photography angle, and it gives him a specific niche that could potentially play with his light/dark duality thematic motifs. Looking-Glass!Tim and the former-We are Robin gang could be his network and sources. plus, we still could get Duke Holmes moments by having Detective Aisi call him in as a consultant (and be his Watson). His powers ARE uniquely suited to detection and problem-solving, a boots-on-the-ground free agent investigator makes sense for Duke.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-05-2020 at 09:46 AM.

currently following:

what was the name of the place looking after Kids run by Julie Madison. Could be interesting if he worked/took over there!

Not a prediction but a hope - I would love for him to make the jump to animation. He'd be great in either the Young Justice series or one of those Lego DTV movies (I'd love a little Lego minifigure of him).

I'm predicting that we'll start to see Duke move away from whole "he's soooo green, watch how he trips into danger!?" angle and finally start putting some points on the board with good showings and overdue W's. I'm hoping we'll see more Duke outside of Outsiders interacting with other young non-bat heroes in the DC universe (ideally Naomi, Sideways, and Wallace for me)and *fingeys crossed* he'll get a costume update/revamp with his own logo. I'm also hoping we see him pop up on Young Justice next season.

currently following: