View Poll Results: where do you want Duke to go next?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • make him an official Robin

0 0%
  • Daytime hero as Signal (street level hero)

5 33.33%
  • public identity as The Signal (street level hero)

2 13.33%
  • new hero direction entirely

3 20.00%
  • Daytime hero as Signal (metahuman mythos)

2 13.33%
  • public identity as The Signal (metahuman mythos)

1 6.67%
  • retire and be a civilian ally

2 13.33%
Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Finger crossed for some Gnomon and the Immortal Men stuff then !
    Agreed. Glad someone brought Duke up and that he's not off of Scott's radar. Just gotta hope for the best.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Of potential writers Priest is my most interested writer and Bendis is my least interested writer.

Here's hoping Duke gets a second shot at a solo.
    I'd be considerably more interested in what Bendis would bring to The Signal's table than what Priest would. As I've mentioned, Duke really doesn't need the kind of cynisism Priest would very likely add. I guess it also helps that I enjoy Bendis as a writer as opposed to many other vocal posters who generally can't stand his guts.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I'd be considerably more interested in what Bendis would bring to The Signal's table than what Priest would. As I've mentioned, Duke really doesn't need the kind of cynisism Priest would very likely add. I guess it also helps that I enjoy Bendis as a writer as opposed to many other vocal posters who generally can't stand his guts.
    Personally for me it really depends on what Bendis is on, sometimes he can be really fun and creative and other times he kind of meanders and doesn’t quite have a goal except to put out issues, like his guardians of the galaxy and his uncanny x-men run had some rough patches in them. However I really like his work on Naomi, Young Justice, and Batman Universe; his work on Superman and Action Comics varies by issue but mostly it’s pleasant.

Like I said, I would never give Bendis Justice League, but giving him Duke where he can play with a fairly fresh member of the Batfamily that he can have a fair amount of creative control without making anyone to mad and can lend his big name to the character.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    it's definitely the same story but the story comfortably fits into continuity, it's canon as far as I'm concerned. personally I feel this was a better characterization than Hill's Duke, Shea feels like she took her time making her Duke feel consistent with his career on the page; Hill's Duke does not feel like the character that's gone through the things Duke has.

as for the character as Duke's new Villain, eehhh, it doesn't feel like that's what they were going with Danny.
    Yeah. Sad to say, but it feels like Bryan Hill's writing a Duke who's a lot newer than he actually is and who has much less experience than he actually does. It's something I realized was the case during his Detective run, where he had Duke punk to a villain specifically out to get Batman's allies whom he deemed "points of weakness", as if Duke hadn't already been through Endgame, We Are Robin, Robin War, Superheavy, The Cursed Wheel, or Batman and the Signal. Except he had, and then some.

And honestly? If I could be sure in the great, cool, awesome highs to come for Duke, what Hill has done would be narratively worth it. Strictly speaking and viewing within a vacuum, he hasn't explicitly done wrong by Duke. New horizons lead to new challenges, which can lead to new lows. And it's all worth it when never-before-seen highs are achieved. But when are these highs coming?

Same with the new powers; they are legit cool and actually do make sense as an extension of his existing power set. But it feels like they're getting squandered, their potential misused. Was it a power expansion or a power change, and regardless, was it done in good faith?

I had my reservations, and now I just don't know.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Personally for me it really depends on what Bendis is on, sometimes he can be really fun and creative and other times he kind of meanders and doesn’t quite have a goal except to put out issues, like his guardians of the galaxy and his uncanny x-men run had some rough patches in them. However I really like his work on Naomi, Young Justice, and Batman Universe; his work on Superman and Action Comics varies by issue but mostly it’s pleasant.

Like I said, I would never give Bendis Justice League, but giving him Duke where he can play with a fairly fresh member of the Batfamily that he can have a fair amount of creative control without making anyone to mad and can lend his big name to the character.
    That's a fair take.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 06-16-2020 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Bendis has been underwhelming in recent titles and his work feels thin issue to issue. But im open to giving him a shot.

Beggars can't choosers after all.

Im curious about Snyder coming back so he'd be my top pick.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Bendis has been underwhelming in recent titles and his work feels thin issue to issue. But im open to giving him a shot.

Beggars can't choosers after all.

Im curious about Snyder coming back so he'd be my top pick.
    At the very least, Bendis has the fame of creating miles morales and his name on a Duke book could really elevate the character and get him even more staying power.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    At the very least, Bendis has the fame of creating miles morales and his name on a Duke book could really elevate the character and get him even more staying power.
    This.

Let Bendis built a foundation like we saw with Miles and then hand it off to someone else.

Bendis will get the book shelf space based on his name alone. Once you get that assured shelf space in book stores-then you can hand him over to whoever.

new application for his shadow power, cool! still no sign of his light powers and no tangle effect for these shadow powers beyond spooky shadow puppets, not cool. overall, this was one of the better issues of Outsiders, i really enjoyed this one. definitely a solid one for Duke, it's nice to see Duke training with these powers and not just talk about them but I'm still not happy that his original powers are still nowhere in sight. I'm intrigued to see how his and Cass' training/partnership with Lady Shiva will go. she seems to be alluding to a more individualistic approach for Duke going forward, maybe finally get a update on his suit. there are rumblings of Cass going back to Batgirl, they could be doing a double reveal kinda deal. Hill may just win me back yet if he can pull this off.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-16-2020 at 11:44 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

y'all satisfied with how Duke Thomas' portrayal has been lately? like y'all vibing with Bryan Hill's portrayal of Duke in Outsiders? y'all dig DC's overall direction with him since becoming Signal? what you guys thinking? I need external opinions.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

y'all satisfied with how Duke Thomas' portrayal has been lately? like y'all vibing with Bryan Hill's portrayal of Duke in Outsiders? y'all dig DC's overall direction with him since becoming Signal? what you guys thinking? I need external opinions.
    It's ok, I'm enjoying batman and the outsiders. Did you read the story in batman gotham nights issue 8? Was glancing over that book and randomly saw Duke had a story in it. It was pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    It's ok, I'm enjoying batman and the outsiders. Did you read the story in batman gotham nights issue 8? Was glancing over that book and randomly saw Duke had a story in it. It was pretty nice.
    Yeah, it was a reprint of his story from one of the Walmart Batman 100 page Giant issues from last year, I liked it a lot. That story really makes me frustrated with Hill's use of Duke. The Duke in Gotham Nights feels like the character Duke's been thus far from Endgame, We are Robin, his mini, etc., but the Duke Hill has been writing feels like a significantly different and newer Duke; and less like an actual character. I feel like Bryan Hill's story has some good ideas and he's going an ok job but none of them feel particularly well fleshed out, leaving them feeling hollow, and his suffers Duke's the most for it and ends up not really feeling like the same character.

like, what reason was there to change his powers? we don't see Duke really paying it much mind, nor has it really been all that poignant to the story besides not touching but kinda scarying a fodder character here and there. It's an extension of what I've been saying about Duke and bat symbology, how do you expect Duke to be compelling and read well when his character is constantly giving mix messages. When he was a robin but not a robin, that worked fine under that framework of a socisl movement. then he became Bruce's protege but not a robin or a Nightwing, he's "something else". that was a little wonky but they looked like they were building toward something. Then he finally became the Signal, he has these light powers, he works during the day, lots of sun motifs, he's supposed to be totally different from Batman, right? ok, that's cool but why is he covered in bats if he's so different from the other Bats? that's a mixed message but even then we could still roll with it. Now he's in the Outsiders, he's always fighting at night all the time, his already loosely defined powers are nowhere in sight and we're working with some even vaguer shadow powers, and he hasn't really done anything to prove why he's an asset to the team. That's just Duke, i feel this is a consistent thing across the board. I feel that while Hill is doing a serviceable job, don't think he's is giving any one thing enough focus to make them feel impactful and Duke is getting the worse end of the stick because he is so new and ill-defined that Hill's muddying the waters for that character. Maybe I just bought into the PR for this character too much when Snyder was pitching him, but Duke's trajectory feels like it's not heading toward his fullest potential.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 07-07-2020 at 03:44 PM.

currently following:

I haven't read Batman and the outsiders yet. I liked Hill's arc on Detective but mostly saw it as a less interesting version of what Tynion was doing earlier with his run.

However I do like the idea of Karma being a member of Duke's rogues gallery.

So far I think Duke is alright but just needs a home. A solo is preferable to a team book. He'll catch on eventually but it'll be a lot of trial and error- which is true for most characters if you really think about comics history as a whole.

I think if we were to say what Duke's problem is, is that he's just alright and not exceptional so he doesn't grab people's attention. Plus DC never went all in on Duke prefering to play it safe.

Personally, i would have preferred Snyder to have done a Signal solo run during DC rebirth instead of a backup in Allstar Batman. It would've been a stronger statement than a bunch of backups and a 3 issue miniseries.

A better version of DC's approach with Duke would be Blindspot from Charles Soule's run on DD. To me, Soule came up ready to go while Snyder wrung his hands together and stuttered. Right now im hoping Blindspot gets his shot whether it be a solo/miniseries. Forget making Danny Rand asian, just give me a Blindspot show or movie.

Oh well....beggars can't be choosers.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 07-07-2020 at 02:21 PM.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, it was a reprint of his story from one of the Walmart Batman 100 page Giant issues from last year, I liked it a lot. That story really makes me frustrated with Hill's use of Duke, The Duke in Gotham Nights feels like the character Duke's been thus far from Endgame, We are Robin, his mini, etc., but the Duke Hill has been writing feels like a significantly different and newer Duke; and less like an actual character. I feel like Bryan Hill's story has some good ideas and he's going an ok job but none of them feel particularly well fleshed out, leaving them feeling hollow, and his Duke doesn't really feel like the same character.

I think the issue is which Duke was Hill and others told to use versus the one we saw in Walmart Batman book?

The Duke we should be seeing should be the one from Endgame, All-Star batman, who lead We are Robin and the Signal mini.

Outsiders and Tom King's version seems to be one that did not experience We are Robin or anything before Outsiders.

I would suspect Walmart Batman Duke was written like that because all those other books he was in are in trade. So if someone got interested in him-they would have Batman Endgame, All-Star, We are Robin and Singal Mini to digest. Before touching the Hill Ousider run that only has one trade.

https://twitter.com/bryanedwardhill/...95268377157632

Bryan says Duke will have a bigger role in "season 2" of batman and the outsiders "if the book goes on." I'm kinda surprised he wouldn't know right now what the future of the book is, since Tynion already said they have plans for Duke in the future just last week.