View Poll Results: where do you want Duke to go next?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • make him an official Robin

0 0%
  • Daytime hero as Signal (street level hero)

5 33.33%
  • public identity as The Signal (street level hero)

2 13.33%
  • new hero direction entirely

3 20.00%
  • Daytime hero as Signal (metahuman mythos)

2 13.33%
  • public identity as The Signal (metahuman mythos)

1 6.67%
  • retire and be a civilian ally

2 13.33%
Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Batman and the Outsiders #17 in October will be the Final Issue.

Just saw that, that's a shame...

Oh well, I hope DC will not let Duke fall in limbo, but I won't hold my breath.

I mean, where is the Other History and Checkmate and so many other titles.

Astonishing Member

Like, is Bryan Hill getting a relaunch?

What the heck was his tweet talking about a Season 2 supposed to have even meant?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Like, is Bryan Hill getting a relaunch?

What the heck was his tweet talking about a Season 2 supposed to have even meant?
    I guess Bryan Hill wants a relaunch for Batman and the Ousiders, but he saying "if the book goes on" implies that he doesn't even know if DC plans to relaunch the book.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

At the very least, we know Tynion's got plans for Duke so if this is the end of that book..Duke lives on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I guess Bryan Hill wants a relaunch for Batman and the Ousiders, but he saying "if the book goes on" implies that he doesn't even know if DC plans to relaunch the book.
    Yeah, my guess is that DC is still looking at sales for these last few issues before giving the green light for a sequel book.

Batman and the Outsiders #17 in October will be the Final Issue.
    smh see! people on twitter and tumblr were saying I was being harsh, give it time, he's still working it out...I'm very disappointed with this book man. 3 issues left, let's see how this all ends for Duke I guess.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    smh see! people on twitter and tumblr were saying I was being harsh, give it time, he's still working it out...I'm very disappointed with this book man. 3 issues left, let's see how this all ends for Duke I guess.
    hard to blame Hill though, he clearly had plans beyond the arc and the book was cancelled.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Yeah, my guess is that DC is still looking at sales for these last few issues before giving the green light for a sequel book.
    Perhaps. But that is still way too much time creating set-up for a proper Duke-centered story that he isn't even sure he's getting.

Keep in mind, what happened to Duke during Detective was supposed to be the set-up.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 07-17-2020 at 11:34 AM.

Astonishing Member

hard to blame Hill though, he clearly had plans beyond the arc and the book was cancelled.
    We don't know any of that. Also, DC is preparing for a line-wide relaunch of #1s anyway.

And for as long as Bryan Hill has been writing Duke, if we are going to use the word 'blame', I think any frustrations are warranted by this point, relaunch or not. A lot of Duke's fans have been very loyal to Hill and this book.

@leo619 was right in the end, I guess. Like lemonpeace said, we'll see what the last 3 issues bring. "We'll see" is what I have been doing for this run up to this point, so I will see it through doing likewise.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 07-17-2020 at 11:47 AM.

I disagree, he had 5 issues in Detective Comics and 14 issues of this run to at least do something that affirms Duke; instead he spent 19 issues "setting up". not to say he had bad intentions but it's a mistake to burn 19 issues setting up when you don't know if you'll have time to pay it off, and Hill knew he was on borrowed time because he says as much from Detective Comics up til today.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Ultimate Member

Yes you can blame Hill-someone who was trying to leave comics. That is why his X-men run came to an end because he has tv and movie projects to do-like Titans (where he is a writer for that show).

He had 24 issues (not counting the last remaining 3) to do something.

And then they wonder why fans leave or just toss their hands in the air in frustration.

How many more writers are going to fail this character. Snyder needs to do like Priest and Stuart Moore and buy back his creation and go somewhere else.

Sorry you guys are fustrated, I'm hopeful for some exciting plans in the future still.

Ultimate Member

Sorry you guys are fustrated, I'm hopeful for some exciting plans in the future still.
    https://twitter.com/bryanedwardhill/...75171121635328

The DC Gods giveth, and the DC Gods taketh away, LOL.

It's just the way it works in big two comics, but it allows me to step away from monthly superhero books, and focus on original works, mini-series, and Film/TV projects.

I was never long for the monthly world.
    Oh, it's really not like that. Originally, we were going to only do 12, but people were interested enough that I got another batch of issues and that's a gift. I had plans if they chose to continue with it, and I set those things up, but sometimes it just isn't in the cards.
    SO why make that comment about Duke when you didn't know you had a future? I would have kept that to myself.

I'm gonna try to be hopeful too. I hope if someone gets him for something long term, the next writer IS invested in Duke for the character he is and could be. I mean, that's assuming they don't pull a Batwing at the end of Outsiders and have him say "I'm gonna step away for a bit" or "I'm gotta find my own way" then never be seen again.

regardless, I'm still working on Duke's fandom wiki, so that gives me an excuse to go back and read his old books and appearances
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 07-17-2020 at 02:41 PM.

currently following:

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I disagree, he had 5 issues in Detective Comics and 14 issues of this run to at least do something that affirms Duke; instead he spent 19 issues "setting up". not to say he had bad intentions but it's a mistake to burn 19 issues setting up when you don't know if you'll have time to pay it off, and Hill knew he was on borrowed time because he says as much from Detective Comics up til today.
    Yeah you can't do that with characters like Duke, they simply don't have that luxury. You gotta hit the ground running and execute. Too much set up bores people especially if they really know if they wanna invest.
    Last edited by 9th.; 07-18-2020 at 06:39 PM.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8