View Poll Results: where do you want Duke to go next?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • make him an official Robin

0 0%
  • Daytime hero as Signal (street level hero)

5 33.33%
  • public identity as The Signal (street level hero)

2 13.33%
  • new hero direction entirely

3 20.00%
  • Daytime hero as Signal (metahuman mythos)

2 13.33%
  • public identity as The Signal (metahuman mythos)

1 6.67%
  • retire and be a civilian ally

2 13.33%
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    Whats everyones hopes/predictions for Duke in 2020!
    I guess I just hope he has a partin the big summer batman crossover event Tynion has been teasing on twitter. It's clear Duke has gotten less importance lately without scott snyder having a role in the bat books, so the most I can really hope for is Duke at least still getting some spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I could see him being a social worker like his mom.
    I like him also as a social worker or doing something to improve the community. I feel Duke needs to be i n contact with the people. He feels like he is a character that could be at the heart of Gotham if you get me.

I enjoy his interactions in his mini. At the community centre.

Journalist is fine but I don't feel that's as integrated into the heart of Gotham.

BANNED

Predictions for Duke in 2020: Love relationship with Cassandra Cain or Gotham Girl, King saved GG in his final issue, maybe in future writters will remember Duke will have to be with Gotham Girl, probably a regular own series...

I like the idea if him becoming a journalist. It compliments his already existing skills of being a detective and is a good parallel for his superheroing. Him joining the world of independent news could be a wealth of stories to tell.

Him being a film director is interesting but i don't think its sustainable long term.

we see Duke's new power in action this issue, they appear to act more as a scare tactic/stealth ability.

we're able to see Duke talk and behave with a little more agency and I think we're getting close to him finally catching a W. despite some tension brewing, Outsiders appears to be taking a step in the right direction with Duke. my only nitpick is I would've liked if they let Duke take down the bad guy himself (or physically engage with him) but I guess they needed to have him and Cass working in tandem, so I guess I can let that slide as a small critique for an issue I really enjoyed. I just hope he doesn't get his ass beat again now that he and Cass have decided to face Lady Shiva head on.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-08-2020 at 02:00 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

new fanart.

EDIT: you know what, I think I like his suit from his nameless era more than his Signal armor. still had the weird bat on face thing but if they changed his helmet and gave him his own logo I would be all in on this suit. although, the reflective chest emblem in his Signal suit is hella dope to me.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 04-28-2020 at 04:40 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I'm predicting that we'll start to see Duke move away from whole "he's soooo green, watch how he trips into danger!?" angle and finally start putting some points on the board with good showings and overdue W's. I'm hoping we'll see more Duke outside of Outsiders interacting with other young non-bat heroes in the DC universe (ideally Naomi, Sideways, and Wallace for me)and *fingeys crossed* he'll get a costume update/revamp with his own logo. I'm also hoping we see him pop up on Young Justice next season.
    Awesome picks.
    I'd also add Caden Park from Immortal Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    Awesome picks.
    I'd also add Caden Park from Immortal Men.
    I would love that! apparently, I believe it was Jim Lee who said it, Duke was supposed to get involved with the Immortal Men down the road, had that title lasted. that was probably where they were planning on providing insight into his mother's history and Gnomon. I hope that if Duke ever gets more solo material that the Immortal Men and his heritage are explored more. you know what i'd love to see? Duke with the blood mask, even just for a sec.

currently following:

Another great issue of BatO and this time Duke got to shine, albeit with his newfound dark power. I like how he and Cass are rather camly moving away from Batman's shadow, hopefully it won't come back to bit them in the ass, because both of them deserve some win, but the Signal moreso than anyone else !

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

I would love that! apparently, I believe it was Jim Lee who said it, Duke was supposed to get involved with the Immortal Men down the road, had that title lasted. that was probably where they were planning on providing insight into his mother's history and Gnomon. I hope that if Duke ever gets more solo material that the Immortal Men and his heritage are explored more. you know what i'd love to see? Duke with the blood mask, even just for a sec.
    The Blood Mask could provide him with great insight.
    I just reread The Immortal Men. It's really sad that they stopped after six issues, especially since it ended with Batman (and the Justice League) getting involved.

There was a discussion about suggesting birthday dates for Duke in the old thread. How about somewhere between June 20 to June 22? It's the time of the summer solstice in the Northern Hemisphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    The Blood Mask could provide him with great insight.
    I just reread The Immortal Men. It's really sad that they stopped after six issues, especially since it ended with Batman (and the Justice League) getting involved.

There was a discussion about suggesting birthday dates for Duke in the old thread. How about somewhere between June 20 to June 22? It's the time of the summer solstice in the Northern Hemisphere.
    Immortal Men was the title out of the NAoH i was the most excited about, i was heartbroken when it got canned for Justice League Dark. I hope they can pick up those threads somewhere down the line. Maybe he'll acquire the blood mask on his own and that could be how he discovers what went down between Elaine, Gnomon, and the original Immortal Man

I like the idea of Duke being a summer baby, it's such an obvious choice given his powers and theming. Him being born on the solstice would be poetic

currently following:

I'd actually like for Duke to be born at Yule. The Summer Solstice is actually the time when the God (tied to the Light and Sun) start fading, while he is reborn at Yule. The victory of Light over Darkness would fit Duke better I think.

if Bruce put Duke in a protege exchange, which hero (or villain if you're nasty (I'll see myself out)) would you set him up with and why?

currently following:

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I'd actually like for Duke to be born at Yule. The Summer Solstice is actually the time when the God (tied to the Light and Sun) start fading, while he is reborn at Yule. The victory of Light over Darkness would fit Duke better I think.
    hmmm I love the thematic reasoning but iunno, I really like the idea of him being a summer baby. however, if they ever leaned more into the immortal/esoteric angle of Duke, I could get behind them playing with that Solstice/Yule birth and rebirth parallel.

currently following:

if Bruce put Duke in a protege exchange, which hero (or villain if you're nasty (I'll see myself out)) would you set him up with and why?
    Detective chimp for being a detective. Zatanna for a crash course on magic and also escapology.
    Black canary for hand to hand training.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-10-2020 at 10:06 AM.