View Poll Results: where do you want Duke to go next?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • make him an official Robin

0 0%
  • Daytime hero as Signal (street level hero)

5 33.33%
  • public identity as The Signal (street level hero)

2 13.33%
  • new hero direction entirely

3 20.00%
  • Daytime hero as Signal (metahuman mythos)

2 13.33%
  • public identity as The Signal (metahuman mythos)

1 6.67%
  • retire and be a civilian ally

2 13.33%
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

art by @VKMarion

Duke during what I now refer to as his nameless era
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    if Bruce put Duke in a protege exchange, which hero (or villain if you're nasty (I'll see myself out)) would you set him up with and why?
    Vixen. Because she's badass.

Probably not a villain anymore but Poison Ivy could be interesting. Plants and light sounds like a good combination.
    Or Deadshot - just because. (Is Deadshot considered a villain nowadays?)

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    Vixen. Because she's badass.

Probably not a villain anymore but Poison Ivy could be interesting. Plants and light sounds like a good combination.
    Or Deadshot - just because. (Is Deadshot considered a villain nowadays?)
    I was considering Poison Ivy too, in my own little headcanon Duke's affinity for sunlight makes him particularly talented with botany and he gardens as a hobby. I like Deadshot too, with his unique visual abilities he'd make an unreal sniper/marksman.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-17-2020 at 08:17 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Inks by
    @SpiderGuile & colors by @TheBolax

art by @andysmithart

currently following:

Default Theory about Duke's heritage

so I'm rereading Immortal Men in preparation for updating the Metahuman page on DC's wiki and the most obvious thing slapped me in the face:

this is The Constant of the House of Knowledge (self-evident) and one of the 5 original Immortals of the Bear Clan; he has a sun for a face. this got me thinking, I think Duke Thomas directly descends from the Constant.

First of all, he's obviously one of the first 6 metahumans, meaning he is likely the ancestor of at least 1/6th of the metahumans in earth already, but there's a clear golden-yellow solar visual motif going on with his mask/headdress thing, which he shares with Gnomon, who also is an immortal (remember, due to his biological connection, Duke could sense Gnomon telling the truth).

Duke, his mother, and Gnomon all seem to have a familial disposition for photosensory powers, abilities that would fit right into the House of Knowledge, who seek information and knowledge.

then there's also this panel where we see The Constant observing the construction of (presumably) the Great Library of Alexandria

You see, when the 5 Bear Clan Immortals started to build their houses, each house traveled to, influenced, and implemented their philosophy for mankind in a different region of the world. The House of Conquest was connected to to the Roman Empire, the House of Expression to the Vatican in Italy, the House of Harmony to Bodh Gaya (seen under the Bodhi Tree, implying an influence on Buddhism), and the House of Action having apparantly influenced America (it's a little unclear how much it how deeply). Now, as a Nigerian with a love of both comics and pre-colonial African history, nothing irks me more than when can people lazily only think to use Egypt as the only example of pre-colonial civilization in Africa BUT, in this case, it's a handy indicator of which region of the world is the domain to the House of Knowledge - Africa. This would mean members of his House would likely consist of Africans and the african diaspora, and he [The Constant] would likely be black himself. also keep in mind, in the original story pitch for the Immortal Men, The House of Knowledge, then called the House of Wisdom, are scholarly monks who study everything about the world and hoard the knowledge to themselves rather than share it with others.

So here's my theory, I posit Gnomon is either a former member of the House of Knowledge, The Constant's direct descendant (like a son or grandson), or more wildly, is The Constant himself in disguise or under an alias. Jim Lee, who worked on Immortal Men early on, did say Duke was meant to cross paths with the Immortal Men down the line, I think this was how he was meant to connect. if I were to connect the dots here on how they were going to go about this, I think Gnomon was going to be a member of the House of Knowledge who got ambitious and got tired of only learning about things. so for whatever reason he specifically picks Elaine (maybe she has some metahuman ability that is compatible with Gnomon and would result it a more powerful child) and breaks off from the House of Knowledge to pursue his own ambitions. at some point it becomes clear that Gnomon is dangerous, and the Immortal Man approaches Elaine to join him instead of sticking with Gnomon. However, instead of taking either side, Elaine escapes to Gotham with the key to Gnomon's plan: Duke. So Gnomon works on his machinations in the shadows while he's looking for Duke and Elaine, which takes up to the Color Wheel and the events of Batman & The Signal.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 04-28-2020 at 04:59 AM.

currently following:

so I'm rereading Immortal Men in preparation for updating the Metahuman page on DC's wiki and the most obvious thing slapped me in the face:

this is The Constant of the House of Knowledge (self-evident) and one of the 5 original Immortals of the Bear Clan; he has a sun for a face. this got me thinking, I think Duke Thomas directly descends from the Constant.

First of all, he's obviously one of the first 6 metahumans, meaning he is likely the ancestor of at least 1/6th of the metahumans in earth already, but there's a clear golden-yellow solar visual motif going on with his mask-headdress thing, which he shares with Gnomon, who also is an immortal (remember, due to his biological connection, Duke could sense Gnomon telling the truth).

Duke, his mother, and Gnomonl seem to have a familial disposition for photosensory powers, abilities that would fit right into the House of Knowledge, who seek information and knowledge.

then there's also this panel where we see The Constant observing of (presumably) the Great Library of Alexandria

each house traveled to, influenced, and implemented their philosophy for mankind in a different region of the world; Conquest to the Roman Empire, Expression to the Vatican in Italy, Harmony to Bodh Gaya (seen under the Bodhi Tree, implying an influence on Buddhism), and Action having an influence on America (it's a little unclear). Now, as a Nigerian with a love of both comics and pre-colonial African history, nothing irks me more than when people lazily can only think to use Egypt as pretty much the only example of pre-colonial civilization BUT, in this case, it's a handy indicator of what region of the world is domain of the House of Knowledge - Africa. Which would mean members of his House would likely consist of Africans and the african diaspora, and he himself would likely be black himself. also keep in mind, in the original story pitch for the Immortal Men, The House of Knowledge [then: Wisdom] are scholarly monks who study everything about the world and hoarding the knowledge rather than sharing.

here's my theory, I posit Gnomon is or was either a member or the House of Knowledge, The Constant's direct descendant, or (more wildly) is The Constant himself in disguise or under an alias. Jim Lee, who worked on Immortal Men early on, did say Duke was meant to cross paths with the Immortal Men down the line, I think this was how he was meant to connect. if I were to connect the dots here on how they were going to go about this, I think Gnomon was going to be a member of the House of Knowledge who got ambitious and want got tired of only learning about things. so for whatever reason he specifically picks Elaine (maybe she has some metahuman ability that is compatible with Gnomon and would result it a better child) and breaks off from the House of Knowledge. at some point The Immortal Man approaches Elaine to join him instead of siding with Gnomon but instead she escapes to Gotham, with the key to his plan (Duke). So Gnomon works on his machinations while he looking for Duke and Elaine.
    I really love this theory, perhaps we should push it on reddit, it could gain some traction there.

But, interestingly enough, I'm actually reading a story of Africa, and the author explains that Egypt actually failed to extend its civilization in the continent like the Han, inhabitants of the Indus and the roman Empire did because of the desertification which became more important during its ages of splendor, meaning that it was very isolated from the larger Sub-saharan Africa.

@lemonpeace: I love your theory too.
    When I first saw the mask of The Constant I thought that it's a star or a fancy compass rose. Latter would also fit Gnomon nicely.

Batman and the Signal compass.jpg

Even before Immortal Men was released I wanted a DC story about the Great Library of Alexandria. Back then I thought that someone like Ra's Al Ghul would fit such a story nicely since he's a man who seeks knowledge (and immortality).

I'm so curious in which direction Batman and the Outsiders is heading.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Duke, Kate, Selina, and Cass patrol the city while the Robins, Babs, and Bruce take time off and gather in Noona's Bar to mourn Alfred in Batman Pennyworth RIP #1

Attachment 91724

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Duke, Kate, Selina, and Cass patrol the city while the Robins, Babs, and Bruce take time off and gather in Noona's Bar to mourn Alfred in Batman Pennyworth RIP #1

Attachment 91724
    Ugh, would've liked to see Cassandra and Duke say a few words but i guess DC wants to limit it to the "essential" core batfamily.

currently following:

Our boy appears (without words) in Superman 19. He may be on Bendis's radar ?

Here's the panel from Superman #19 (found it on Reddit).

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    Here's the panel from Superman #19 (found it on Reddit).

Why is Harley there?! The rest have been fighting in the Justice League Doom War but is she in Suicide Squad or not? This is really annoying.
    Why is Man-Bat there?!

art by @VKMarion

Duke during what I now refer to as his nameless era
    The off-screen era ^^

Why is Harley there?! The rest have been fighting in the Justice League Doom War but is she in Suicide Squad or not? This is really annoying.
    Why is Man-Bat there?!

The off-screen era ^^
    I can't say much for Harley besides she's just popular, but Man-bat is a good guy now. iirc he's on Justice League Dark and he's gonna be part of Mr. Terrific's team of super scientists over on the Terrifics.

currently following:

Ultimate Member

Why is Man-Bat there?!

The off-screen era ^^
    How is Firestorm there? Shouldn't he be in jail considering the events of Doomsday Clock.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    How is Firestorm there? Shouldn't he be in jail considering the events of Doomsday Clock.
    Doomsday Clock might as well be an elseworld as far as I'm concerned, it barely resembles anything going on at DC when it started in 2017 or when it ended in 2019. however, only Stein got arrested so maybe one of the other halves linked up with Ronnie off-panel; fitting considering Doomsday Clock's finale. (lemme not with Doomsday Clock)

currently following: