View Poll Results: where do you want Duke to go next?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • make him an official Robin

0 0%
  • Daytime hero as Signal (street level hero)

5 33.33%
  • public identity as The Signal (street level hero)

2 13.33%
  • new hero direction entirely

3 20.00%
  • Daytime hero as Signal (metahuman mythos)

2 13.33%
  • public identity as The Signal (metahuman mythos)

1 6.67%
  • retire and be a civilian ally

2 13.33%
Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334 LastLast

I actually am cautiously optimistic for Duke. Not so much in that I think he'll get a book already but I'm feeling that he has resonated with several new creators and has become accepted by the Bat-Family fans in general, now that Tim is back as Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I actually am cautiously optimistic for Duke. Not so much in that I think he'll get a book already but I'm feeling that he has resonated with several new creators and has become accepted by the Bat-Family fans in general, now that Tim is back as Robin.
    I'm still cringing at DC caving and making Tim Robin again ngl, but I don't think it affected Duke's reception. I think people just got used to Duke being around and the Tim detractors just focused their bitterness toward Damian more. after his mini, and DC stopped pushing him, the Tim crowd stopped caring about Duke because (as is the case with all new characters) old heads just assumed that Duke would fall into limbo since if they didn't care about him no one would.

I think what helped him is just good word of mouth. His fandom is small but they have been consistent, passionate, and appear to be growing in the last couple months? years? I mean, while I as a hardcore Duke fan was dissatisfied with his time on Outsiders, I'd be lying if i said it didn't turn a few heads toward Duke; I think some people got a kick out of him getting broken down so much, but that's just my speculation. i may have started his wiki but he has his own small subreddit that I did not make, i think that's a testament that he's been pickin up steam. i think people are intrigued with a lot of the ideas that go into Duke (first metahuman Bat hero, Immortal parentage/built-in mythology, sun and shadow powers, charismatic leader, etc.) once they are aware of them, similar to how Vixen became and remains so popular despite DC's ebismile use of the character over the years on the page. I'm glad to that momentum is consistent with new talent as well as the fans.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-20-2020 at 09:24 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

I hope that Duke replaces Damien as the new Robin.

Tim needs to be in Teen Titans or Young Justice, and Nightwing needs to stick to his solo and/or get put on the Justice League or something.

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post

Tim needs to be in Teen Titans or Young Justice, and Nightwing needs to stick to his solo and/or get put on the Justice League or something.
    no offense but: ew, no. the time where it made sense for Duke to be an "official" Robin has passed, and I think his time leading the Robins of the We are Robin movement is a far more compelling story than anything DC would have given him as Robin. the Tim and Damian fandoms can keep their petty squabbles over who should be Robin, the mantle is kinda beneath Duke at this point. We are Robin explores the Robin concept in a great way for Duke's characters and he was actually allowed to move beyond that name unlike Tim (and hopefully Damian won't fall into that trap). The concepts and mythology going into Duke post-Robin makes him a character with far more potential than Batman's sidekick or proxy son imo.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-22-2020 at 10:42 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I'm hopeful he can at least get a story in the batman urban myth anthology if he can't nab a solo/team book..

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post

Bruce won’t have another Robin after Damian

Tim Might have his own Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Bruce won’t have another Robin after Damian

Tim Might have his own Robin
    we do see he has a young female sidekick that's not implicitly Bat-themed like a Batgirl, but it was black and white so we didn't see the colors; could be his Robin. Although I would love a Signal/Next Batman team-up, especially since Duke is a huge fan of Tim's brother.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-22-2020 at 10:43 AM.

currently following:

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    we do see he has a smyoung female sidekick that's not implicitly Bat-themed like a Batgirl, but it was black and white so we didn't see the colors; could be his Robin.
    Wait, which one's that?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Wait, which one's that?
    It was in some uncolored preview pages for the Future State Batman series. I recall it was on the first page that we saw her. Don't have a link or anything handy, though.

The time for Duke to be Robin has past. Granted I could see him filling a Robin-like role in the future. His initial miniseries was called "Batman and The Signal" after all so I don't mind continuing that. It's not the ideal role for him but I'd settle for it.

Wait, which one's that?
    this one from the preview pages included with DC's announcement of Tim as Batman

currently following:

https://www.gamesradar.com/future-st...-the-dc-event/

Duke's role in Future State: Outsiders is explained. However there is no art about his look.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    https://www.gamesradar.com/future-st...-the-dc-event/

Duke's role in Future State: Outsiders is explained. However there is no art about his look.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamesradar
    Nrama: DC has revealed in the solicitation copy Duke Thomas and Black Lightning are the other characters from the last Outsiders incarnation to star in this story. What can you tell us about how we find each character? DC has made no secret Black Lightning shows up as literal black lightning?

Thomas:
    Ha, yeah, I was curious if that was gonna get out there before it shipped, but I won't say much more about Black Lightning and his current status, but Duke's current POV is something that felt like a perfect escalation and gives him a real prominence within this future DCU. His identity as the Signal is public, and he's used that to carve out a role as a face of the resistance, making him a wanted man by the Magistrate. When the issue opens, he's smuggling some protestors out of the city, trying to get them to"the outside" and under the protection of Katana.

So this scary new world has demanded more from everyone, and Duke Thomas is now equally at home giving inspirational speeches, and leading protests/rallies, as he is at busting heads. I loved writing him with this new state of mind, and though he and Katana are initially apart, there's a lot of devotion and commitment still there, and you'll see that on display.

was a little bummed his Signal suit remained unchanged but reading his role, that's far more fascinating than an updated suit! I am very disappointed with largely unchanged uninspired hair/civvie look but thats one of those things you gotta let go when it comes to mainstream (particularly DC) comics. although, I love the new whip! I hope it's his and comes with a stealth mode like his suit and his Signal-cycle.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-22-2020 at 06:47 PM.

currently following:

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Wait, which one's that?
    I believe both Maps and one of the Fox girls [I assume she is since Ridley's keeping it all in the family] are getting turns as Robin. There's was a thread on this site where we discussed the previews of Maps as Robin.
    Last edited by CPSparkles; 12-22-2020 at 08:11 PM.