View Poll Results: where do you want Duke to go next?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • make him an official Robin

0 0%
  • Daytime hero as Signal (street level hero)

5 33.33%
  • public identity as The Signal (street level hero)

2 13.33%
  • new hero direction entirely

3 20.00%
  • Daytime hero as Signal (metahuman mythos)

2 13.33%
  • public identity as The Signal (metahuman mythos)

1 6.67%
  • retire and be a civilian ally

2 13.33%
Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    https://i.imgur.com/ctGyY3Y.jpg

This bio always gets me for including an aspect of his character that doesn't exist. It's from an AU that reimagined and reworked Duke's character in a way that was... decidedly less than his canon history. They made him a mechanic there.
    yea that always bothers me but i overlook it because to me it's a milestone for Duke to be included in DC's official character encyclopedia
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

Going through the infographs now. I like them. They appear to be accurate and informative to who and what Duke is and has gone through during his tenure. There are a couple of word and sentence errors that make things unclear in a couple of areas. Also, the We Are Robin one repeats a sentence fragment twice without context, and then cuts off before it can really finish. A lot of info for Duke should be available in that section, too, so the errors and cut-off is more noticeable.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    yea that always bothers me but i overlook it because to me it's a milestone for Duke to be included in DC's official character encyclopedia
    He does have 2 figures. Some guys don't get that for years-he got them rather early.

he doesn't miss the light? you mean the main thing that distinguishes him from the rest of the assortment of shadowy bat characters? so not only is Duke unbothered by his powers being changed, but they kill the guy that changed it and could change it back. I appreciate Bryan Hill, I really do, but he has no idea what he's doing with Duke and I don't think he gets what makes Duke interesting as a character. he's not simply "a bat character with meta powers" but that seems to be the direction he's narrowing him down to. the more he writes him the more I feel like his iteration of the character guarantees Duke will end up yet another forgotten character after this series ends. we have umpteen shadowy bats, taking the light guy and making yet another shadowy bats but in yellow is not an interesting direction and it betrays the foundation of the character.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 05-07-2020 at 02:44 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Yeah, I'm not too hot about it. I'm really glad he's using him, period, and I guess it wouldn't be hard to have Duke witch back after a time to his usual powers. But it's kind of a shame that he has lost those, when it seemed to offer so much potential for him...

Extraordinary Member

I'm predicting that we'll start to see Duke move away from whole "he's soooo green, watch how he trips into danger!?" angle and finally start putting some points on the board with good showings and overdue W's. I'm hoping we'll see more Duke outside of Outsiders interacting with other young non-bat heroes in the DC universe (ideally Naomi, Sideways, and Wallace for me)and *fingeys crossed* he'll get a costume update/revamp with his own logo. I'm also hoping we see him pop up on Young Justice next season.
    That would mean time would have to go buy

Ultimate Member

he doesn't miss the light? you mean the main thing that distinguishes him from the rest of the assortment of shadowy bat characters? so not only is Duke unbothered by his powers being changed, but they kill the guy that changed it and could change it back. I appreciate Bryan Hill, I really do, but he has no idea what he's doing with Duke and I don't think he gets what makes Duke interesting as a character. he's not simply "a bat character with meta powers" but that seems to be the direction he's narrowing him down to. the more he writes him the more I feel like his iteration of the character guarantees Duke will end up yet another forgotten character after this series ends. we have umpteen shadowy bats, taking the light guy and making yet another shadowy bats but in yellow is not an interesting direction and it betrays the foundation of the character.
    SO we got a Joker event happening and the one Bat book with POC is not included in the tie ins.

And the one guy (not named Jason or Babs) who has a grudge with Joker appears to be left out.

Be a real telling of Duke if he's left out of this.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    SO we got a Joker event happening and the one Bat book with POC is not included in the tie ins.

And the one guy (not named Jason or Babs) who has a grudge with Joker appears to be left out.

Duke has a grudge against joker

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Honestly ?

I don't have much (read any) confidence in DC doing good by Duke for the moment. They really need to bring back Tony Patric (and Cullen Hammer) and let them have a longer Signal mini-series (like, 8 to 12 issues long) and then have them deal with joker or Gnomon here !

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    yea, the Joker jokerized his parents and he knew about Duke's metahuman lineage.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 05-20-2020 at 10:30 AM.

currently following:

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Yet we got an event where that SHOULD be shown.

It might be but right now it doesn't look like it.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Duke Thomas by Nick Robles (BLM donation sketch)

It would be cool to see John Boyega as Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Honestly ?

I don't have much (read any) confidence in DC doing good by Duke for the moment. They really need to bring back Tony Patric (and Cullen Hammer) and let them have a longer Signal mini-series (like, 8 to 12 issues long) and then have them deal with joker or Gnomon here !
    Yeah I think it would be fair to say that Duke needs someone to give him a bigger push, I like the Outsiders it’s not a bad book (though I do wish it had Geo-force, Halo, and Metamorpho) and it’s been good for Duke to have somewhere he appears. However after Snyder brought him in and King didn’t do much with him outside a few stories I would like to see more done.

Personally I think Christopher Priest or David Walker could do very well with him, or maybe Snyder will come back and put him in a book.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yeah I think it would be fair to say that Duke needs someone to give him a bigger push, I like the Outsiders it’s not a bad book (though I do wish it had Geo-force, Halo, and Metamorpho) and it’s been good for Duke to have somewhere he appears. However after Snyder brought him in and King didn’t do much with him outside a few stories I would like to see more done.

Personally I think Christopher Priest or David Walker could do very well with him, or maybe Snyder will come back and put him in a book.
    Christopher Priest would be the best pick considering his caliber of skill and clout, he would be able to get a substantial run off the ground and flesh out the character. unfortunately, Priest is also extremely hesitant to take on a black character purely by virtue of them being black; plus Duke appears to be below the purview of what he'd want to be doing right now. I would love for a Christopher Priest penned Duke story focusing finally explaining what's the deal with Gnomon, Elaine, and the Immortals.

currently following: