Page 21 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Kitty looks like she's wearing latex shorts under there that wasn't there in the original issues. That's better I think. Kitty trying to be a mentor back to Kurt and taking his role by giving him inspiration to show what she had learned trying to give the authority of a bigger sibling is pretty profound. Though, they look a, uh... bit cozy I admit.
    There’s a bit of a disconnect between what the artist is doing with the body language and the script (it’s CC isn’t it?).
    Still lovely though.
    Excalibur was so good for both characters.

Yes, it’s CC. Added this to my collection for $10.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post

I remember being so excited when this started, I’d been into Captain Britain and Alan Davis before I was into the X-Men, so it was a match made in heaven.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

I still keep my copy of this poster from --33 years ago?!? O_o Now it's in my nieces' bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    I remember being so excited when this started, I’d been into Captain Britain and Alan Davis before I was into the X-Men, so it was a match made in heaven.
    I didn't know about Cap and Meggan back then, but yes, I was also sooooooo excited!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    I still keep my copy of this poster from --33 years ago?!? O_o Now it's in my nieces' bedroom.

I didn't know about Cap and Meggan back then, but yes, I was also sooooooo excited!!!
    How lovely that it’s still appreciated.
    I was a fan of 2000AD which, of course led me to Warrior and the Marvel UK stuff so Alan Moore, AD, Neil Gaiman, Dave Lloyd, Bryan Talbot.
    And they’d all hang about in convention bars, so you could talk to them, none of them were famous, though Alan Moore was clearly a rising star, you didn’t pay for a sketch or a signature, it was fantastic, Warrior in particular, they published V for Vendetta, and more mature stuff than anyone else in the UK apart from hardcore underground stuff.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_(comics)
    The Warrior publisher was a bit lax in paying creators, hence a lot of them going over to the States. Several of the creators paid my Viking group to debagg* the editor at a con and the next year, he got a custard pie at the con disco. By V, complete with mask (and my black wool cloak) my bedroom was his changing room, as no one would suspect little old me of being involved in something nefarious.
    Ah, good memories!

*debagg = pull his trousers down
    Last edited by Su_Whisterfield; 05-13-2020 at 04:23 AM.

How lovely that it’s still appreciated.
    I was a fan of 2000AD which, of course led me to Warrior and the Marvel UK stuff so Alan Moore, AD, Neil Gaiman, Dave Lloyd, Bryan Talbot.
    And they’d all hang about in convention bars, so you could talk to them, none of them were famous, though Alan Moore was clearly a rising star, you didn’t pay for a sketch or a signature, it was fantastic, Warrior in particular, they published V for Vendetta, and more mature stuff than anyone else in the UK apart from hardcore underground stuff.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_(comics)
    The Warrior publisher was a bit lax in paying creators, hence a lot of them going over to the States. Several of the creators paid my Viking group to debagg* the editor at a con and the next year, he got a custard pie at the con disco. By V, complete with mask (and my black wool cloak) my bedroom was his changing room, as no one would suspect little old me of being involved in something nefarious.
    Ah, good memories!

*debagg = pull his trousers down
    Wow, you've lived such incredible experiences! Lucky you! I would have loved to be here! *sigh*

I call that escape to the USA 'The British Invasions'

Wow, you've lived such incredible experiences! Lucky you! I would have loved to be here! *sigh*

I call that escape to the USA 'The British Invasions'
    It was just what it was like back then.
    I was nothing special, not even particularly lucky, we all hung about together, pros and fans, the only thing which made me different was that I was female, which was a bit unusual in the 80s comics fandom.
    And over 18 so I could get into the con bar.
    I doubt any of them remember me now (except Neil and Bryan, who remain friends to this day).
    It was the same in literary fandom, the best place to meet any writer was in the bar.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Dropping in for Kurt (my mom's a fan of his). Who are those guys on the poster? I'd like to google their history... I know Kurt and Captain Britain. How I love Alan Davis. My first Batman comic has Jason, Catwoman and Joker drawn by Davis. Huge fan of his art here.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Dropping in for Kurt (my mom's a fan of his). Who are those guys on the poster? I'd like to google their history... I know Kurt and Captain Britain. How I love Alan Davis. My first Batman comic has Jason, Catwoman and Joker drawn by Davis. Huge fan of his art here.
    It’s from the original Excalibur launch back in the 80’s.
    It was a comic written by Chris Claremont nd drawn by Alan, set in Britain, starring Kurt and Kitty and Rachel Summers and Brian as Cap Britain and his lady friend, Meggan. It was absolutely excellent, witty, charming and fun.
    I’m not sure if collected editions are available, but they’re all on Marvel Unlimited and well worth a months subscription to read them.

I’ve got Alan’s Batman stuff, I’ve got work of his going all the way back to DR and Quinch in 2000AD.
    You, and your mum, have good taste.

It’s from the original Excalibur launch back in the 80’s.
    It was a comic written by Chris Claremont nd drawn by Alan, set in Britain, starring Kurt and Kitty and Rachel Summers and Brian as Cap Britain and his lady friend, Meggan. It was absolutely excellent, witty, charming and fun.
    I’m not sure if collected editions are available, but they’re all on Marvel Unlimited and well worth a months subscription to read them.

I’ve got Alan’s Batman stuff, I’ve got work of his going all the way back to DR and Quinch in 2000AD.
    You, and your mum, have good taste.
    Plenty of collected editions and the Volume 1 Omnibus is coming soon, well it was coming soon before Covid. I have all 9 TPBs that have been released. All the epic collections so far. And the Omni pre ordered.

I’ll try to gather photos later. At least of my epic collections. I’m not going into the basement again today for the 9 TPB’s. Haha.

And here’s the omnibus solicit that is obviously now likely pushed back. I love the direct market cover but the regular cover is so iconic that’s the one I pre ordered.

Yeah, there was a $25 one in a little better shape on eBay but when I show you all my room you’ll see why I won’t be hanging it or framing it. No room. But I needed it for my collection. And I’ll have CC sign it if I ever meet him. Assuming we have conventions again. I miss talking to all my Kurt friends here. I’m infamous in the x fandom now because of some things (mostly on twitter) but I’m glad all my Kurt friends have stuck by me, haha. It’s just if you are not in love with what Hickman is doing you tend to get backlisted. I have all the issues and every dawn of x book. It’s not terrible. I’m just not in love with what’s going on and that makes me a bad fan I guess. Lol.

My walls.

https://imgur.com/gallery/lLJZ0M8
    Last edited by Slicknickshady; 05-13-2020 at 03:15 PM.

Plenty of collected editions and the Volume 1 Omnibus is coming soon, well it was coming soon before Covid. I have all 9 TPBs that have been released. All the epic collections so far. And the Omni pre ordered.

I’ll try to gather photos later. At least of my epic collections. I’m not going into the basement again today for the 9 TPB’s. Haha.

And here’s the omnibus solicit that is obviously now likely pushed back. I love the direct market cover but the regular cover is so iconic that’s the one I pre ordered.

Yeah, there was a $25 one in a little better shape on eBay but when I show you all my room you’ll see why I won’t be hanging it or framing it. No room. But I needed it for my collection. And I’ll have CC sign it if I ever meet him. Assuming we have conventions again. I miss talking to all my Kurt friends here. I’m infamous in the x fandom now because of some things (mostly on twitter) but I’m glad all my Kurt friends have stuck by me, haha. It’s just if you are not in love with what Hickman is doing you tend to get backlisted. I have all the issues and every dawn of x book. It’s not terrible. I’m just not in love with what’s going on and that makes me a bad fan I guess. Lol.

My walls.

I need to buy trade paperbacks, I’ve got all the original comics, but I find it easier to pull a TPB down off the shelf, so the plan is to replace all of my comics with TPBs and sell the originals. But I have several boxes, it’s a bit of a daunting task.

Mighty Member

Joe Madureira's nightcrawler:

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

There’s a bit of a disconnect between what the artist is doing with the body language and the script (it’s CC isn’t it?).
    Still lovely though.
    Excalibur was so good for both characters.
    Yeah, it is. Either there was a miscommunication there and Claremont didn't tell the artist at all. Some people may mistake romance for just how CC writes the characters. Maybe the artist thought the same.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I also remember his work on DC's Outsiders.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 05-14-2020 at 11:43 PM.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

^ taozen

I remember the first image, it was on one of those hologram covers for Excalibur and the second was a cover for Classic X-Men and of course that cover was made to grab you but its hardly what happened in that issue.

It was just what it was like back then.
    I was nothing special, not even particularly lucky, we all hung about together, pros and fans, the only thing which made me different was that I was female, which was a bit unusual in the 80s comics fandom.
    And over 18 so I could get into the con bar.
    I doubt any of them remember me now (except Neil and Bryan, who remain friends to this day).
    It was the same in literary fandom, the best place to meet any writer was in the bar.
    The point is you lived in England That made the difference with the rest of us.

Yeah, there was a $25 one in a little better shape on eBay but when I show you all my room you’ll see why I won’t be hanging it or framing it. No room.

[...]

My walls.

Yeah, you've got already a pretty nice decorated bedroom, congratulations! Nevertheless, I bet your house is quite larger than mine

RE: Alan Davis. I too love his Batman & the Outsiders.