Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

Default Pietro Maximoff: Quicksilver Appreciation 2020

It’s the Quicksilver Appreciation thread of the new decade. Here, we steadfastly hold to the canon of Pietro Maximoff being the mutant Son of Magneto while denying the Axis heresy.

41CEA4FC-388F-4833-80AD-3EA2339A4C2B.jpg

A suggested reading list

X-Men #4 (1964) - His first appearance as a member of his father’s brotherhood alongside his twin Wanda, the Scarlet Witch. Their familial relationship with Magneto was not known at this time. They leave by issue 11, after Magneto is abducted by the Stranger and deciding to reject the X-Men’s invitation to join.
    Avengers #16 (1965) - The story of the twins joining the Avengers after the original team leaves. They return to Magneto’s side in issue #47 when Magneto tricks Pietro into believing human security at the UN shoot Wanda in the head, grazing her temple. Magneto was actually controlling the security guard’s guns, so as to convince the twins to return after escaping the Stranger. They rejoin the Avengers after this was revealed.
    Fantastic Four Vol. 1 #131 (1973) - After being attacked and injured by Sentinels, Pietro is found by the Inhuman princess Crystal and nursed back to health in Attilan. By issue #150, they were getting married. Luna is born #240.
    Vision and the Scarlet Witch (1983) - Crystal begins having an affair with the human real estate agent that sold Wanda and Vision their house in New Jersey, Magneto reveals his parentage of the twins and their longest standing origin, and everyone has a very awkward Thanksgiving.
    West Coast Avengers (1986) - Thus begins Steve Englehart’s long crusade to turn Quicksilver into a full out villain complete with trying to frame the Avengers for espionage, running a Zodiac themed crime ring of duplicates, trying to kill Alicia Masters, trying to force Luna to undergo terrigenesis, and just being a pathetic and unpleasant man. Editors at Marvel had to step in to stop him by revealing Pietro was being mind controlled as part of a plot by Maximus the Mad to take control of the Inhuman throne.
    X-Factor # 71 - 94 (1991) - Quicksilver joins the government-sponsored X-team, and issue 87 is the famous Peter David story that explains how Pietro experiences reality through the lens of his powers.
    X-Men: Fatal Attractions (1993), X-Factor #92/X-Men #25 - Quicksilver is approached by Magneto’s Acolytes and offered leadership of their group as well as accepting his place as the ‘Magnusson’, Magneto’s heir. It’s what QS was called by the Acolytes before Marvel came up with the Son of M title. Quicksilver refuses, and in fact takes part in the X-Men operation to take Magneto down after he unleashes an electromagnetic attack on the earth after the UN tries to keep Magneto from coming back down from Asteroid M.
    Avengers/X-Men: Blood Ties (1993) - A direct sequel to Fatal Attraction. Fabian Cortez doesn’t know about Magneto’s fate at the hands of Charles Xavier, and fearing for his life because of the treacherous bastard he is, kidnaps Luna as a shield against Magneto’s rage. Quicksilver and Crystal lead a team of Avengers and X-Mem to retrieve her in Cortez’s hideout on Genosha, while Exodus’ arrival further complicates matters. This and the previous story was part of Marvel celebrating both franchises’ 30th anniversary, and fittingly Pietro was seen as the tie between them.
    Quicksilver (1997) - His first solo, which covered his marriage to Crystal degrading further, his first hint that his powers are actually time manipulation in meeting his future self Nestor, and being followed by the High Evolutionary and his animal men, his father’s Acolytes, and his own personal issues.
    Magneto Rex (1999) - How Pietro was convinced by Magneto into staying in Genosha as a cabinet minister on his father’s government.
    House of M (2005) - The infamous storyline following Disassembled which resulted in M-Day. This is where the idea of Magneto ruling with his family, the eponymous House of M, comes from. It also did terrible damage to the twins’s standing in comics as heroes, which are still felt today.
    Son of M (2006) - The messy follow up that established terrigen as harmful to mutants, Pietro developing time travel abilities, forcing Luna to undergo terrigenesis after all, and starting a war all in the name of restoring mutantkind.
    X-Factor: The Quick and the Dead (2008) - Peter David followed up with Pietro’s story from Son of M, which ultimately resulted in Pietro coming down from terrigen, coming to his senses, and regaining his original power set.
    Avengers Academy (2010) - Quicksilver is an instructor at Hank Pym’s School for Wayward Youth as part of his rehabilitation and rejoining the Avengers.
    X-Factor (2014) - Peter David has Pietro join X-Factor where he confessed to everything he did from Son of M and X-Factor at a press conference, and reconnected with Polaris and Luna.
    Uncanny Avengers (2015) - Where the retcon that claims Magneto isn’t the Maximoff twin’s father because copyright reasons comes from. Ignore it.
    Quicksilver: No Surrender (2018) : A mini series following Avengers: No Surrender. In which Pietro gets stuck outside time by running too fast, gets a pet turtle he calls Mister Dibbles, and fights some kind of time duplicates of himself.

Let’s hope this coming year sees the Son of M come home to Krakoa.
    Last edited by teapartyofthedead; 01-14-2020 at 09:50 PM.

Still a fan. Even if they keep messing with his origin.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Incredible Member

I want Cyclops to bitch slap Quicksilver with his optic blasts.

Scott did manage to hit Pietro once, but admittedly it was a lucky shot.

90672E38-ADF2-4EF0-B661-BB6541A4CC13.jpg

Otherwise, Pietro is just too fast.

EF47AC59-A0CC-4B6D-9724-E375B1E59D3E.jpg

I’m much more interested in seeing them on a team together.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

Cyclops' declaration on that last image just feels so STRANGE now. Like the young Ben Solo said on the recent "Star Wars" kabuki adaptation, Krakoa and the HoxPoxDox are tearing me apart, eroding my SAN.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

Excellent reading list in post 1. A few questions/comments...

- vision/Sw series from 1983 is mentioned. I believe that the notes accurately reflect the 1986 maxi 13 issue series.

- I have the majority of issues mentioned in collected editions of some sort. There are a few I’m missing however and I was wondering where they could most easily be found (if at all) collection-wise...
    - fantastic four 131
    - fantastic four 240
    - fatal attractions (I’m pretty sure it’s collected in and of itself. Never knew there was a qs focus to it though).
    - magneto Rex. Same comments as above.
    - quick and the dead. Unclear on this. Is it a one shot? Has it been collected anywhere?
    - x-factor 2013. Is this the one that ran 20 issues? If so, I read the floppies but have little memory of it. Collected n one trade?
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Happy New Year to Pietro .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Happy New Year to Pietro .
    Yes! He deserves a Happy Year.

BANNED

Strange Tales #128 Jan 1965
    The Human Torch and the Thing guest star in "Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch"
    Wanting to be free of Magneto's rule, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch
    decide they should seek the aid of heroes in the United States.
    Traveling to New York, the two go to seek the help of the Fantastic Four.

Unfortunately, the Thing and Human Torch are the only ones home and they have just seen
    a news bulletin identifying the two mutants as members of Magneto's Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

A fight soon breaks out

that ends with both sides growing weary.

Afterward, the two mutants decide that they're safest by Magneto's side,
    and the two Fantastic Four members allow them to leave.

Script by Stan Lee and Dick Ayers (co-plot), pencils by Dick Ayers, inks by Frank Giacoia (as Frank Ray)

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Has anyone seen Quicksilver since his solo? I want to catch up on his comics but can't seem to find him in anything lately. What's happened to him?
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Has anyone seen Quicksilver since his solo? I want to catch up on his comics but can't seem to find him in anything lately. What's happened to him?
    He's in limbo until they figure out how to make him a mutie again
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    He's in limbo until they figure out how to make him a mutie again
    thank you. hope that changes soon!
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

In House of M, Quicksilver lost his powers. There was a miniseries after it where the Inhumans receive him, and he sneaks into terrigen crystals chamber to regain his powers, but he got a new one instead (something about jumping to the future and then back). In "Silent War", he still had those powers. But in Mighty Avengers he's back to the usual super speed, and the new power is gone. What did I miss?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    In House of M, Quicksilver lost his powers. There was a miniseries after it where the Inhumans receive him, and he sneaks into terrigen crystals chamber to regain his powers, but he got a new one instead (something about jumping to the future and then back). In "Silent War", he still had those powers. But in Mighty Avengers he's back to the usual super speed, and the new power is gone. What did I miss?
    You're missing the sequel to Silent War that doesn't exist because plans were changed and the Inhumans were suddenly put back in normal order in time for Secret Invasion.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Excellent reading list in post 1. A few questions/comments...

- vision/Sw series from 1983 is mentioned. I believe that the notes accurately reflect the 1986 maxi 13 issue series.

- I have the majority of issues mentioned in collected editions of some sort. There are a few I’m missing however and I was wondering where they could most easily be found (if at all) collection-wise...
    - fantastic four 131
    - fantastic four 240
    - fatal attractions (I’m pretty sure it’s collected in and of itself. Never knew there was a qs focus to it though).
    - magneto Rex. Same comments as above.
    - quick and the dead. Unclear on this. Is it a one shot? Has it been collected anywhere?
    - x-factor 2013. Is this the one that ran 20 issues? If so, I read the floppies but have little memory of it. Collected n one trade?
    Hi, ARkadelphia! Sorry it’s taken me so long to get back to you. Real life has been very full, to say the least.

First up, both the Fantastic Four #131 and #240 can be found in Fantastic Four Vol 1.

Fatal Attractions and Magneto Rex were collected. Pietro was in both the X-Factor issue, #92, as well as X-Men #25. In the first, X-Factor is investigating attacks by the Acolytes on a human hospice, which leads to a big fight between the groups. Fabian Cortez offers Pietro leadership of the Acolytes due to his status as Magneto’s heir, the Magnusson. (I prefer Son of M as a title, personally. Much snappier sounding.) Pietro tells him to **** right off. He layers joins the team that confronts Magneto at Avalon. It was Magneto attacking Pietro that leads Wolverine to making a tactical error (besides being anywhere near Magneto that is), which leads into the infamous ending.

Quick and the Dead was a one shot during the Madrox era, and it’s where he rather inexplicably regains his powers. Ultimate Captain Marvel, that’s where you would look. The 2014 X-Factor, led by Polaris, was collected into three volumes.

I should update the OP with all this info. Hopefully, this will make it easier for people to find the issues.