Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Hey guys! Kurt and Logan came in second for favorite death in the X-books awards.

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop_ View Post
    Finally!!!
    *Faints*

Some old favorite fanart pieces of mine.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Only in the X Books awards can you have a favourite death award...
    It was very moving through.

89619E99-C634-4F49-AFD1-D60520DC149B.jpg
    5A7B6075-43AA-4163-B57B-56D9934553D5.jpg
    By the lovely Jazzmedic

So curious about Kurt’s Giant Sized (fnar, fnar).
    I can’t see Hickman wasting a comic on just a horror story set in the Greymalkin Lane habitat.

Wasting might not be the word I want, but he’s only doing a limited number of these and it’s very interesting that he’s chosen to use Kurt.
    Alan will have bitten his hand off at the opportunity, Kurt is his insert character, it will look very pretty, whatever.

We still don’t have a regular book for our bonny lad, doesn’t look like Children of the Atom will be it. Though I’d enjoy seeing him mentoring youngsters. Of course, he may join an existing book.

But I’ve stopped sulking over him being neglected. Eh, I sound like his mother!

Alan Davis illustrating Kurt and Rachel again?! Yesss!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Icefanatic View Post
    Alan Davis illustrating Kurt and Rachel again?! Yesss!!!!
    Don’t get too enthusiastic, I suspect it’s not Ray. I mean, I hope it is, but I suspect Something is afoot.

Short, hopefully entertaining, fanfic about the trials and tribulations of providing security to The Quiet Council.
    https://archiveofourown.org/works/22308256

I found this great pic online just recently. It looks pretty Cockrum inspired.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I found this great pic online just recently. It looks pretty Cockrum inspired.

It’s excellent.
    I’m so, so glad the ‘90s habit of drawing him musclebound seems to have died a death. Athlete, acrobat, reference it, it’s not that hard.

How about that for elegant?
    Posted on Reddit.
    The artist’s Deviant Art page.
    https://www.deviantart.com/peter-v-n...tm_name=iossmf

So, Excalibur didn't have a leader? Here is the link to the interview: https://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...-44-x-leaders/

Here is a link to the thread about it: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...y-44-X-leaders
    I just made a post there.

Storm sort of gets shafted as she really just gets a quick mention as they are mostly focused on Wolverine, Cyclops and Emma. Like it has been since M-Day. These are the characters they seem to only be passionate about still. The upcoming comic by Davis is an improvement though, and I guess Hickman since he is the main writer despite the fact I'm not a huge fan of his thats its pretty important.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    So, Excalibur didn't have a leader? Here is the link to the interview: https://www.adventuresinpoortaste.co...-44-x-leaders/

Here is a link to the thread about it: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...y-44-X-leaders
    I just made a post there.

Storm sort of gets shafted as she really just gets a quick mention as they are mostly focused on Wolverine, Cyclops and Emma. Like it has been since M-Day. These are the characters they seem to only be passionate about still. The upcoming comic by Davis is an improvement though, and I guess Hickman since he is the main writer despite the fact I'm not a huge fan of his thats its pretty important.
    I never thought of Kurt as Excalibur’s leader. Possibly in Alan’s second run, but not the initial one.
    I really don’t think being a team leader suits Kurt’s personality or style, it’s just not for everyone, nothing to do with power or strength, everything to do with comfort zone. Kurt’s a much better lieutenant, supportive, intelligent, observant.

He’s a better fit on The Quiet Council. Different sort of leadership.

The Giant Sized has me intrigued, 40 pages of Alan Davis is not to be sniffed at but I’ll be very surprised if all Hickman does with it is a horror story, I’m hoping for the set up for Kurt’s purpose on Krakoa.

I mostly agree with Su.

Kurt wasn't Excalibur's leader in the beginning - everyone seemed to look to Cap Britain as the unofficial one, though he was reluctant to even be on the team, and in the end yeah, no leader. But after Cap B left for a while, leadership fell pretty firmly on Kurt. I don't see an argument that he wasn't Excalibur's leader working. Claremont even referenced it more than once when he returned to the X-men post Excalibur's disbandment, even though he didn't write the latter half of Excalibur.

But I kind of got the impression from that article that the guy is more saying he didn't see the commanding and directing around leadership style of people like Cyclops. Excalibur was more chill. They weren't hated and feared and their missions were usually more about adventure than heartache. They mostly worked together and played off each other especially in the early issues Claremont did, which seem the best known. Kurt did do that a little bit in later Excalibur, but that's also when I felt the most distant from him and like he'd become the same as every other leader character. I liked it best when teamwork was the focus. Truth be told, everyone on Excalibur got along really well, even Pete Wisdom. And even though Cap B broke Nightcrawler's leg, lol x'D So I can understand why this guy would say that.

It's not how I'd put it myself, though. There are different kinds of leadership. Nightcrawler definitely didn't/doesn't have the army commander technique. Some people probably feel strongly that leaders must have a specific skill set, especially if they're going into combat, but I suppose the boils down to what kind of X-men reader you are... the X-Army has never been the driving factor for me.

This part sums it up for me:
    Xavier kicked off the book as an authority figure. Cyclops and Storm are both characters with strong convictions and that… well, they feel like leaders. I find it easy to imagine looking up to them for leadership. Nightcrawler, who I like more than I like the others, comes up much more like a friend than a boss, and I think that is what we want from him.
    I disagree that a leader can't be a friend, but - the X-books have become very, Idk, corporate, over the years. You shouldn't be friends with your boss at work. Friendly, sure, but not friends. And I do think people want Friend!Kurt more than Boss!Kurt. But I would like to see more blending of that in X-books because they're not Wall Street, they're not gonna sue each other. (Though that might be fun to see, lol.) All the repercussions that go with it included - sorry to invoke he-who-must-not-be-named, but when Cyclops yelled at Nightcrawler for being more a friend than a leader during Austen's run, I liked seeing that contrast of dynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnaminion View Post
    I mostly agree with Su.

Kurt wasn't Excalibur's leader in the beginning - everyone seemed to look to Cap Britain as the unofficial one, though he was reluctant to even be on the team, and in the end yeah, no leader. But after Cap B left for a while, leadership fell pretty firmly on Kurt. I don't see an argument that he wasn't Excalibur's leader working. Claremont even referenced it more than once when he returned to the X-men post Excalibur's disbandment, even though he didn't write the latter half of Excalibur.

But I kind of got the impression from that article that the guy is more saying he didn't see the commanding and directing around leadership style of people like Cyclops. Excalibur was more chill. They weren't hated and feared and their missions were usually more about adventure than heartache. They mostly worked together and played off each other especially in the early issues Claremont did, which seem the best known. Kurt did do that a little bit in later Excalibur, but that's also when I felt the most distant from him and like he'd become the same as every other leader character. I liked it best when teamwork was the focus. Truth be told, everyone on Excalibur got along really well, even Pete Wisdom. And even though Cap B broke Nightcrawler's leg, lol x'D So I can understand why this guy would say that.

It's not how I'd put it myself, though. There are different kinds of leadership. Nightcrawler definitely didn't/doesn't have the army commander technique. Some people probably feel strongly that leaders must have a specific skill set, especially if they're going into combat, but I suppose the boils down to what kind of X-men reader you are... the X-Army has never been the driving factor for me.

This part sums it up for me:

I disagree that a leader can't be a friend, but - the X-books have become very, Idk, corporate, over the years. You shouldn't be friends with your boss at work. Friendly, sure, but not friends. And I do think people want Friend!Kurt more than Boss!Kurt. But I would like to see more blending of that in X-books because they're not Wall Street, they're not gonna sue each other. (Though that might be fun to see, lol.) All the repercussions that go with it included - sorry to invoke he-who-must-not-be-named, but when Cyclops yelled at Nightcrawler for being more a friend than a leader during Austen's run, I liked seeing that contrast of dynamics.
    You are so right, there are different sorts of leaders, different sorts of leadership. His team mates follow Kurt because of who he is, because he is a friend.
    I’d like to see Kurt mentoring younger mutants (hoping for that in Children of the Atom) I think that would work well for him.

Still really curious as to where Kurt is going to fit in with the bigger picture of Krakoa.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

RE: Nightcrawler as a team leader.

UXM #192

Captura.jpg

UXM #193

2.jpg

I'm persuaded there's a scene where Xavier thinks that Kurt "doesn't make it that bad", in any case "better than he believes himself", but I can't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    I never thought of Kurt as Excalibur’s leader. Possibly in Alan’s second run
    Really Su??? Only maybe in the second run? Huh.

I mostly agree with Su.

Yeah he did Claremont said in an early interview that Kurt would be forced into taking the lead because of Brians drinking and his grief over Betsy. I remember that issue where Galactus was ready to destroy the reality they were in and Kurt standing in the middle of it all holding is chin and thinking intently while Rachel ad Kitty are looking up at him. I think thats partly what caused Brians resentment when he told Kurt this after his fight with him about Meggan.

Kurt did do that a little bit in later Excalibur, but that's also when I felt the most distant from him and like he'd become the same as every other leader character.
    In the Ellis run I was afraid Kurt was becoming a bit of a stiff (as I mentioned in the other thread) so much so that Wisdom was making jokes to challenge authority and sometimes to see if Kurt would crack a smile. I actually loved Kurt through most of it but I was worried that Kurt was becoming just the leader character and he wasn't getting much focus other than that. Kurt shaving his head and carrying a sword was definitely a more aggressive Kurt and "sending black air to the devil" is what was most definitely needde for such a horrible organization. What a bad ass moment. I loved it. But still if Kurt wasn't being the leader they weren't really focusing on him. I do remember that Storm and Cyclops suffered that as well in the 90s. It wasn't like that under CC when he gave them side plots and personal moments outside of being a leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    RE: Nightcrawler as a team leader.

UXM #192

Captura.jpg

UXM #193

2.jpg

I'm persuaded there's a scene where Xavier thinks that Kurt "doesn't make it that bad", in any case "better than he believes himself", but I can't find it.
    Yeah Xavier does say something like that. Xavier chose him for a reason and then there is of course Logan who told Kitty Kurts the best they had without Ororo there, whether its a comment you can agree with or not. Kurt is so different when he returns to the X-Men. I remember he was thinking to himself that he would perhaps become leader but when he saw Ro doing her thing he knew the team was in good hands.

Anyway, that said... I don't need Kurt to be the leader(just don't like seeing him downgraded) as that is something that has been explored with him and when I was once passionate about it it looks like Marvel wants the friend that Scott berated him for being. If Marvel revives the Marvel Knights line I would love if Kurt would get a book as I'd like to see him branch back into the Marvel universe again. I actually never really saw Excalibur as an X-Book under CC and later Davis and they were more like a British Avengers or Defenders to me before the X-Office decided to slap the X logo on them. I didnt really start enjoying the idea of them being an X-Book until Ellis (and Pacheco, Casey) came along and the addition of Wisdom, Colosus and Wolfsbane. Kurt became a very worldly person during Excalibur but the X-Men these days have become so boxed in and it seems to me stories have been limited. The fun, swashbuckling, the friend Kurt is great but after a while seems limited.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 01-24-2020 at 08:16 PM. Reason: wrong comment, wrong thread