Page 28 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
    That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Also wanted to ask: has Kurt ever used throwing knives or daggers before?
    He hasn't, as far as I know. That's a Longshot thing and I think it would be too similar --actually, Gambit throwing cards was already a undisguised appropiation, IMHO.

Nevertheless, I'm sure he can do it very skillfully, since he was raised in a circus.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    He hasn't, as far as I know. That's a Longshot thing and I think it would be too similar --actually, Gambit throwing cards was already a undisguised appropiation, IMHO.

Nevertheless, I'm sure he can do it very skillfully, since he was raised in a circus.
    One of my biggest regrets with Chris’s writing of Kurt in the 70/80s s that he didn’t explore his circus upbringing. I’ve whinged about this before, haven’t I? Kurt was too often written like an American, rather than a European (people still do that with is religion).
    He’d have started working with the clowns, so learning pratfalls and juggling. Then he’d have moved on to tumbling and finally high wire and flying. Knife throwing could well be part of that training.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Admittedly I asked because he was raised in a circus, but I also asked because the Marvel's Contest of Champions game described as the perfect blend of a pirate and a ninja (is that a common description for the character?), and throwing bladed objects is a ninja thing after all. I certainly wouldn't want it to become his thing the way it's Longshot's and Gambit's but from an outsider, I think it would be cool if throwing a couple of knives could be incorporated into his fighting style on rare occasions.

Speaking of, how would you guys want to see Nightcrawler's fighting style visualised in the MCU? Personally, I think his bamfs need to look a little bit more colourful and explosive, rather than the wispy effect the Fox films used. And I really want to see that elegant swordfighting and fencing mixed with tricking and other acrobatics.

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    One of my biggest regrets with Chris’s writing of Kurt in the 70/80s s that he didn’t explore his circus upbringing. I’ve whinged about this before, haven’t I? Kurt was too often written like an American, rather than a European (people still do that with is religion).
    He’d have started working with the clowns, so learning pratfalls and juggling. Then he’d have moved on to tumbling and finally high wire and flying. Knife throwing could well be part of that training.
    I see. I know nothing about the character aside from the broad strokes and whatever the Fox films did with him. In what way would you prefer him and his religion to be written?

Also, do you have any ideas on who could play him in the MCU?

Admittedly I asked because he was raised in a circus, but I also asked because the Marvel's Contest of Champions game described as the perfect blend of a pirate and a ninja (is that a common description for the character?), and throwing bladed objects is a ninja thing after all. I certainly wouldn't want it to become his thing the way it's Longshot's and Gambit's but from an outsider, I think it would be cool if throwing a couple of knives could be incorporated into his fighting style on rare occasions.

Speaking of, how would you guys want to see Nightcrawler's fighting style visualised in the MCU? Personally, I think his bamfs need to look a little bit more colourful and explosive, rather than the wispy effect the Fox films used. And I really want to see that elegant swordfighting and fencing mixed with tricking and other acrobatics.
    I’d really like our cheerful swashbuckler back, please?
    I’m not really bothered if they make him a teen, I’d rather he be an adult but it’s not a deal breaker for me.

I love this character design sheet by an animator, look how different Kurt is to Hank, both blue, both furry, but completely individual. It takes skill to show such character in just a single image.

A06C3A8F-2C71-4A0C-AB1B-F1176C649C37.jpg

Extraordinary Member

Did they ever say what Jimaine or Stefan did in the circus? I know Margali was a fortune teller.

I’d really like our cheerful swashbuckler back, please?
    I’m not really bothered if they make him a teen, I’d rather he be an adult but it’s not a deal breaker for me.

I love this character design sheet by an animator, look how different Kurt is to Hank, both blue, both furry, but completely individual. It takes skill to show such character in just a single image.

A06C3A8F-2C71-4A0C-AB1B-F1176C649C37.jpg
    Agreed. That's a great representation of how the two should be different. I certainly wouldn't want teenage X-Men either.

Would I be wrong to say Kurt is kinda like the X-Men's Spider-Man?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Did they ever say what Jimaine or Stefan did in the circus? I know Margali was a fortune teller.
    I think Stefan worked as a roustabout, it takes a lot of background staff to run even a modest circus.
    Jimaine ended up being a flyer with Kurt.

Agreed. That's a great representation of how the two should be different. I certainly wouldn't want teenage X-Men either.

Would I be wrong to say Kurt is kinda like the X-Men's Spider-Man?
    Fighting style, I would say yes, but with teleportation rather than web skills.

But in the past few years, writers have taken to arming him with a sword (or two) which in one way I understand; Kurt has a canonical interest in swashbuckling and doesn’t have many defences, apart from being hard to hit.
    But a sword is an offensive weapon, a weapon with really only one purpose, to kill.
    And that doesn’t fit with Kurt’s ethos.
    And he managed for many years without needing a weapon, it’s the heavy hitters jobs to keep him from needing to kill and maim; Kurt is stealth and sneak, agile, nimble and fast.

But style wise? Writers and artists like it, so I think it’s here to stay.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Absolutely absolutely absolutely absolutely agree. His European and gypsy legacy seem too often to come down to accent, German interjections and acrobatics. I think that being raised for 20 years in a European transhumant bohemian circus should mark you a little more than this.

But in the past few years, writers have taken to arming him with a sword (or two) which in one way I understand; Kurt has a canonical interest in swashbuckling and doesn’t have many defences, apart from being hard to hit.
    But a sword is an offensive weapon, a weapon with really only one purpose, to kill.

And he managed for many years without needing a weapon, it’s the heavy hitters jobs to keep him from needing to kill and maim; Kurt is stealth and sneak, agile, nimble and fast.

Partially agree with the bold. You're right, BUT I think that using a sword may also got to do with fencing instead of killing. Sword could be used as a defensive weapon in order to simply disarm the opponent.

Extraordinary Member

I think Stefan worked as a roustabout, it takes a lot of background staff to run even a modest circus.
    Jimaine ended up being a flyer with Kurt.
    I never knew Amanda did acrobatics!

Between that and flight attendant, she must have an interesting resumé.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I never knew Amanda did acrobatics!

Between that and flight attendant, she must have an interesting resumé.
    From the 2004/5 miniseries.
    C12A94A3-357A-4B90-918B-F174F5B40ABD.jpg

Fighting style, I would say yes, but with teleportation rather than web skills.

Understandable. I hadn't really thought about that but it does make sense considering Kurt is Catholic (I should have probably said he's more like Daredevil in that regard then). But as Rita said you can use fencing to disarm opponents and for more defensive purposes.

What then would you recommend to someone like me to get into the character? I haven't read any X-Men comics aside from HoX/PoX.

Understandable. I hadn't really thought about that but it does make sense considering Kurt is Catholic (I should have probably said he's more like Daredevil in that regard then). But as Rita said you can use fencing to disarm opponents and for more defensive purposes.

What then would you recommend to someone like me to get into the character? I haven't read any X-Men comics aside from HoX/PoX.
    I’ve just got back into the comics last year, I’ve been reading up on Marvel Unlimited.
    Personally? I’d start with Uncanny 94 and work your way up, but 70’s/80s comics are so different to modern writing, they might not be to your taste?
    Amazing X-Men in 2013 was high camp fun with lots of Kurt.
    And the Nightcrawler series from 2004/5 is a film noir/supernatural thriller series.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I don't mind the idea of Kurt killing as a last resort and he didn't even have to use a sword to do it. He attempted to break Nigel Orpington Smiths neck and if he wasn't zapped from behind he may have accomplished it.