Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Kurt and Rachel had a nice working relationship while in Excalibur.

Kurchel is fine as a romantic pairing I guess for those that enjoy it (but for me it has to be post Excalibur - just my preference)
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 07-24-2020 at 12:55 AM.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Kurt and Rachel had a nice working relationship while in Excalibur.

Kurchel is fine as a romantic pairing I guess for those that enjoy it (but for me it has to be post Excalibur - just my preference)
    Kurt has a lot of strong friendships with women (Ororo, Kitty, Rachel, Jean, off the top of my head) which is unusual for a supposed womaniser.
    And precious few actual relationships, either casual or serious.
    Which is a bit odd.

I don’t think he is a womaniser; I think he’s just romantic, sort of in love with the idea of being the romantic hero.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    Kurt has a lot of strong friendships with women (Ororo, Kitty, Rachel, Jean, off the top of my head) which is unusual for a supposed womaniser.
    And precious few actual relationships, either casual or serious.
    Which is a bit odd.

I don’t think he is a womaniser; I think he’s just romantic, sort of in love with the idea of being the romantic hero.
    I agree with "sort of in love with ... being the romantic hero" and that he never really gets the chance with any MAIN characters.

I really think the average X-writer has problems with Nightcrawler. He's odd in appearance and his faith has encumbered him with an altruistic and preachy-spouting-fortune-cookie-wisdom vibe.

His teleportation is also problematic - there are so many situations, especially in combat, in which he can just nullify the plot: damsel tied to the train tracks (easy); ticking timebomb going to blow in 20 seconds (whatever); there's an adversary on the battlefield wrecking shop (poof, now she/he is a mile from the action). Readers regularly need to ignore what Nightcrawler could do to negate a situation in order to enjoy a lot of stories. What he can do with his teleportation is more powerful than most X-characters, and if he had Wolverine's attitude, he'd be even more lethal than Logan. The easy solution is to sideline him, whether he drops in the opening salvo or is tasked with a side mission, which is a common occurrence.

I believe one reason he had so much character growth in the early pages of Excalibur was because his powers were severely weakened, meaning he wasn't conveniently off panel for a lot of old school action. Of course it helps that he and Kitty were specifically tasked with helping the series grow due to their association with the X-Men, but I believe his de-powering helped facilitate that.

Unfortunately for his fans, Nightcrawler's just a tough character to incorporate into most stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsmack View Post
    I agree with "sort of in love with ... being the romantic hero" and that he never really gets the chance with any MAIN characters.

I really think the average X-writer has problems with Nightcrawler. He's odd in appearance and his faith has encumbered him with an altruistic and preachy-spouting-fortune-cookie-wisdom vibe.

His teleportation is also problematic - there are so many situations, especially in combat, in which he can just nullify the plot: damsel tied to the train tracks (easy); ticking timebomb going to blow in 20 seconds (whatever); there's an adversary on the battlefield wrecking shop (poof, now she/he is a mile from the action). Readers regularly need to ignore what Nightcrawler could do to negate a situation in order to enjoy a lot of stories. What he can do with his teleportation is more powerful than most X-characters, and if he had Wolverine's attitude, he'd be even more lethal than Logan. The easy solution is to sideline him, whether he drops in the opening salvo or is tasked with a side mission, which is a common occurrence.

I believe one reason he had so much character growth in the early pages of Excalibur was because his powers were severely weakened, meaning he wasn't conveniently off panel for a lot of old school action. Of course it helps that he and Kitty were specifically tasked with helping the series grow due to their association with the X-Men, but I believe his de-powering helped facilitate that.

Unfortunately for his fans, Nightcrawler's just a tough character to incorporate into most stories.
    In total agreement, particularly in why he was so well used in Excalibur (well, that and Alan Davis’ love of the character).
    It’s a shame as he should be crucial to the X-Men’s story; a highly physically mutated person who’s only other option outside the team is a freak show.
    In the new status quo, I’d have loved to see him using his position of authority on the Council to push for better lives for the Morlocks and the Gammas, the ugly and uncomfortably mutated who don’t get a cushy pad on the moon and invited to the best parties in the Green Lagoon.

WThis was when Nightcrawler was team leader. Much to the detriment of Colossus and Rogue.

WThis was when Nightcrawler was team leader. Much to the detriment of Colossus and Rogue.
    I know others disagree, but I’ve never felt that team leader is a particularly good fit for Kurt.
    Not everyone wants the role or is suited to it. I can’t see him being hard enough to send someone else into danger or make the difficult command decisions on the hoof.
    He’d be a far better second in command or as on The Council, where he can make more considered decisions.

Kurt most def would not be a fan if it is truly canon of the polygamy going on. It’s frankly just stupid. We’re talking about the characters here. No offense to anyone that may practice it in real life. Hickman is just a joke.

I say that as someone who has bought every issue of every x book since Hickman took over. I have a right to judge him and this HOX/POX/Dawn Of X as terrible so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    Kurt most def would not be a fan if it is truly canon of the polygamy going on. It’s frankly just stupid. We’re talking about the characters here. No offense to anyone that may practice it in real life. Hickman is just a joke.

I say that as someone who has bought every issue of every x book since Hickman took over. I have a right to judge him and this HOX/POX/Dawn Of X as terrible so far.
    I think the polyamory is one of those things that if it bothers you, it’s really going to bug you.
    And if it doesn’t, you’re not going to understand why it bugs others.

And it’s absolutely fine not to like the current books, I stopped reading the books for three decades!
    In a couple of years, Hickman will be gone.

[

I really liked that Kurt and Brian could put aside their differences and actually talk to each other. This is very rare in these situations. Especially in comics.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 07-25-2020 at 09:37 PM.

[

I really liked that Kurt and Brian could put aside their differences and actually talk to each other. This is very rare in these situations. Especially in comics.
    Brian could be a class one, grade A twerp, long history of it. I know just the type of public school, captain of the rowing team, kind of bullying bluster.
    When Meggan first appeared, she looked like a monster (empathic metamorph, she reflects other peoples emotions) but Brian didn’t show any interest in her until she looked pretty. This has always bugged me.
    Still, she loves him and Kurt is quite right for not getting between them.
    Kurt knows his own head very well and has monumental self control (lots of practice from all those years of dealing with Wolverine’s bullshit).

Edit to add: Alan Davis skills really on display in those panels where they lean in to kiss, all the desire, all the wanting, conveyed through that art.

Every relationship with Kurt...

I saw the meme, regarding cats, and I. Just. Had. To.

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    Brian could be a class one, grade A twerp, long history of it. I know just the type of public school, captain of the rowing team, kind of bullying bluster.
    When Meggan first appeared, she looked like a monster (empathic metamorph, she reflects other peoples emotions) but Brian didn’t show any interest in her until she looked pretty. This has always bugged me.
    Still, she loves him and Kurt is quite right for not getting between them.
    Kurt knows his own head very well and has monumental self control (lots of practice from all those years of dealing with Wolverine’s bullshit).

Edit to add: Alan Davis skills really on display in those panels where they lean in to kiss, all the desire, all the wanting, conveyed through that art.
    I don't like that they made him a drinker again, and brought back the love triangle. I don't want to see that dredged up. It was settled. The same way I'm sick of the Logan/Scott/Jean nonsense.

KuKurt is suck a sharp dresser (well mostly) and I love the Logan/Kurt/Piotr friendship. He so different from EVo Kurt and the movies but then that one is younger. He is also a classic suit sort not a punk/new wave/goth sort.

(I enjoy Punk/Goth and New Wave)
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 07-27-2020 at 10:13 PM.

Look who I found in Tescos. Well, I couldn’t just leave him there could I?

96FB772F-9844-425C-B328-949A0B60F78A.jpg

6F30A44B-8D12-4589-B3AA-11C6904180A6.jpg

And I don’t even like Fox Kurt (mostly due to the scars) but the teleport effect is very cool.

Edit: Hah, how appropriate, the board is inverting the pics!

Butterflykyss posted this on the Storm thread, it’s a fascinating watch, he says that he’s aiming for the iconic version of each character.
    There are many characters Marvel could have chosen, indeed, some of the O5 only got added at the end when Marvel wanted to expand the picture into a life size mural in their offices (which I am glad about, they’ve earned it).

But Kurt was one of the core characters, from all of Marvel, chosen for the centre of the work.
    This makes me happy.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...eative-process
    Last edited by Su_Whisterfield; 07-28-2020 at 02:48 PM.