19 16.24%
  • No

78 66.67%
  • Maybe

20 17.09%
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hulkling View Post
    They closed krakoa after charles death and didnt let anyone out without an autorization of the Quiet Council . that seems overly controlling.
    Rule of law during a statewide emergency? Those bastards!
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by hulkling View Post
    They closed krakoa after charles death and didnt let anyone out without an autorization of the Quiet Council . that seems overly controlling.
    They were under attack so it's understandable they'd close down. A better example of authoritarianism in Krakoa is the Mutants must breed law. Unprotected heterosexual sex is mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    They were under attack so it's understandable they'd close down. A better example of authoritarianism in Krakoa is the Mutants must breed law. Unprotected heterosexual sex is mandatory.
    You just invented that.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Typical sex obsessed human. There are cloning chambers courtesy of Nathan Essex for anyone who prefers a less fluidic approach. The future is now and it has brought options!
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

I assume some kind of argument is going to be posited for Krakoa being Fascist at some point?

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    You just invented that.
    I did not.

I did not.

I think they meant that you're exaggerating or making up the mandatory aspect of that law. There really isn't any proof that people on the island have to make babies.

If it was mandatory, Wolverine would have a hundred more children on the way.

BANNED

Mutant Technocracy.

Is Krakoa fascist? I'm not sure. Is it a cult? I think so. Isolate yourselves. Our way is the only way to survive. Breed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Cults have been defined in various ways, usually negative. In "Joining a Cult: Religious Choice or Psychological Aberration" by Dena S. Davis, the following characteristics are listed:
    Authoritarian ruler. The self-appointed rulers of cults have complete and final say. They are usually considered charismatic and charming. They are adored by their followers and are often considered more than human.
    The identity of the community becomes communal and totalistic. Everyone involved relies on each other and the group's wants and needs become the core identity for each follower.
    Aggressive campaigns and conversion efforts are enforced by the authority figures. For most, the fear of heaven and hell prompts members to reach out, but authority figures may also rely on social issues.
    In order to be initiated into the group, there will be an enforced and systematic indoctrination.There is usually several practices or ceremonies new followers must complete to secure their place among the group.
    Religious movements labeled cults are usually quite new and do not have the established title of other religious practices. They also tend to build upon old theology and either update it to modern times or adapt it to their teachings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Where's the state religion? The vapid strongman posturing? The outraged cries for "traditional values?" Krakoa can never be fascist, because fascism is fueled by nostalgia. Dreams of better days and a return to forgotten glory. Krakoa ain't got time for all that boomer shit.
    Krakoa is about the setting up of what will become traditional mutant values, the creation of better days, and a rise to glory. Waving Magneto and Apocalypse around sure seems like strongman posturing to me. The state religion seems to be worshiping the Five and resurrection, being a mutant, and nonstop sex parties.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

You interpret that it is mandatory, instead of simply "The government promotes the birth and resurrection of mutants."

I did not.
    Joe Glass (@JosephGlass) asked: If one of the laws of Krakoa is “Make More Mutants” how does that work for gay mutants like Iceman, or mutants who don’t wish to have children? Are they breaking a cardinal law of Krakoa by refusing to participate in that?

Jonathan: Well, obviously, ‘Make More Mutants’ is a play on ‘No More Mutants’ so any confusion about this comes from me loving the poetry of how the three laws sound when you read them together instead of them being the actual codified laws with restrictions and provisions and what not.

Saying that, even a strict reading of the law doesn’t change the fact that I showed you three (four if you were watching closely) ways that mutants can reproduce and only one of those is in the ‘traditional’ hetero manner (that’s also leaving out pretty commonplace practices like IVF and surrogacy, which seem to me to support the spirit of the law).

Also, no, I don’t think not wanting to have kids is against the law (but I do however think that this wouldn’t be a popular sentiment in the world that we’ve built).

And this is tangential, but in that vein, I do want to point out that story-wise we’re also leaning into the fact that there are going to be thousands of mutant children showing up on Krakoa in search of their mutant family. So while a spirit of adoption isn’t really what you were asking about, I do think it matters contextually as what we’re talking about here is a communal parent/child relationship and what flows from that into the next generation.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Is Krakoa fascist? I'm not sure. Is it a cult? I think so. Isolate yourselves. Our way is the only way to survive. Breed.

Krakoa is about the setting up of what will become traditional mutant values, the creation of better days, and a rise to glory. Waving Magneto and Apocalypse around sure seems like strongman posturing to me. The state religion seems to be worshiping the Five and resurrection, being a mutant, and nonstop sex parties.
    Yeah, I'm with ya on that to be honest; it does come across as pretty cult-like, particularly in how Scott seems to regard and respond to Xavier and Magneto in HOX/POX. He seemed very brain-washed, but then I've always maintained that Scott is one of those characters that's pretty easily lead, despite being touted as a leader. I'd also argue that Krakoa itself seems to be a bit of a godly figure, not unjustly so I admit, but enough to come off as a bit off-putting.

Also, that is true on your last point; there are new 'traditional mutant values' being created. In time, those easily could become the basis for the future fascists of Krakoa to allude and strive to maintain. It isn't impossible, after all; no society's gonna be perfect. It's an interesting thought to be honest, but one I hope doesn't become glorified either on these forums or in the story itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Yeah, I'm with ya on that to be honest; it does come across as pretty cult-like, particularly in how Scott seems to regard and respond to Xavier and Magneto in HOX/POX. He seemed very brain-washed, but then I've always maintained that Scott is one of those characters that's pretty easily lead, despite being touted as a leader. I'd also argue that Krakoa itself seems to be a bit of a godly figure, not unjustly so I admit, but enough to come off as a bit off-putting.

Also, that is true on your last point; there are new 'traditional mutant values' being created. In time, those easily could become the basis for the future fascists of Krakoa to allude and strive to maintain. It isn't impossible, after all; no society's gonna be perfect. It's an interesting thought to be honest, but one I hope doesn't become glorified either on these forums or in the story itself.
    Scott in X-Men # 1 opposes Magneto in front of Polaris to prioritize the welfare of mutant children over what Magneto wanted to do.

BANNED

Mutant Zionism

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Scott in X-Men # 1 opposes Magneto in front of Polaris to prioritize the welfare of mutant children over what Magneto wanted to do.
    Still doesn't change the fact that, for the most part, he comes off as a bit brainwashed or, at the least, manipulated. He's discouraged from following through or even voicing the doubts and questions he had to either Xavier and Magneto (and yes, it was discouragement regardless of how 'nice' Xavier was about it, before anyone starts) and as such defaults to a "It will be done" response.