Page 90 of 105 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 1563
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    X-Men | The Art and Making of the Animated Series
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn_p...ature=youtu.be

A much happier and better panel.
    Pretty cute panel

It's only now that I realized that Gambit had a cameo in the eleventh issue of X-Men where he was fighting alongside Scott and the others

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    It's only now that I realized that Gambit had a cameo in the eleventh issue of X-Men where he was fighting alongside Scott and the others
    Yes. He was on last page. Thanks to Yu.

Some art from Belen Ortega probably for Captain Marvel.
    Maybe King in Black tie in? Would love KT to write them again.

https://twitter.com/BelenOrtega_/sta...80918537449478
    Last edited by Purplevit; 10-10-2020 at 01:25 PM.

OMG yes please! I have missed KT writing them so bad.

Her Black Widow has been amazing at least.

This artist is pretty good. Has kind of a Bachelo feel.

If that indicates Kelly is going to write Rogue and Remy again, even for just one issue, that would be awesome
    She has a real love for these characters and it shows

And that would be a godsend, compared to Remy's awful characterization in Excalibur

https://aiptcomics.com/2020/10/12/x-...swords-week-4/

JDW has some ... interesting ... takes on romance in comics and who the audience is for them. Looks like MMX was all too quickly forgotten.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    https://aiptcomics.com/2020/10/12/x-...swords-week-4/

JDW has some ... interesting ... takes on romance in comics and who the audience is for them. Looks like MMX was all too quickly forgotten.
    Yeesh. I know he's echoed similar sentiments in the past, but it seems like he's not basing this on anything. Sure MMX didn't have the best sales, but that doesn't mean all romance in comics is dead.
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    Yeesh. I know he's echoed similar sentiments in the past, but it seems like he's not basing this on anything. Sure MMX didn't have the best sales, but that doesn't mean all romance in comics is dead.
    Right? Besides, what about bringing in new readers instead of just playing to your perceived base? Super annoying, this perception that you have a punch fighting only crowd on this side and kissing only crowd on the other. Is it really so hard to understand people want both ... together?! Also MMX was restricted by the fact that all the X-books were being treated like fill in stories until Hickman started. Considering MMX couldn't tie into basically any of the going X-plots at the time and the duo had to get foisted into space and then Mojo world to keep them together, it did pretty well for a non-team book. If only we could just have continued on their story amidst a whole X-cast and utilized their actual histories and connections more. Which presumably is what Excalibur could have been doing this whole time if it wasn't being written how it's been written, as a Apocalypse solo to set up X of Swords. And the DoX writers have basically have no restrictions so long as Hickman approves. But the fighting sequences in MMX, a "romance", were far better than what we've had in Excalibur.

Right? Besides, what about bringing in new readers instead of just playing to your perceived base? Super annoying, this perception that you have a punch fighting only crowd on this side and kissing only crowd on the other. Is it really so hard to understand people want both ... together?! Also MMX was restricted by the fact that all the X-books were being treated like fill in stories until Hickman started. Considering MMX couldn't tie into basically any of the going X-plots at the time and the duo had to get foisted into space and then Mojo world to keep them together, it did pretty well for a non-team book. If only we could just have continued on their story amidst a whole X-cast and utilized their actual histories and connections more. Which presumably is what Excalibur could have been doing this whole time if it wasn't being written how it's been written, as a Apocalypse solo to set up X of Swords. And the DoX writers have basically have no restrictions so long as Hickman approves. But the fighting sequences in MMX, a "romance", were far better than what we've had in Excalibur.
    I feel like they are trying to bring in new audiences, but it feels like it's more of a "young" crowd they are trying to pander to, hence, Quesada breaking up Spidey and MJ bc he thought marriage made Peter seem "too old." I just don't understand it. But they definitely should try something new, like you're suggesting. And I know that I'm a broken record at this point but make it a digital exclusive if you want to cut back on costs.

What's strange is I think for story purposes, MMX was better it didn't tie into the other X-Books, but I do agree. Even having a little bit of crossover could have helped boost sales a bit.
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    I feel like they are trying to bring in new audiences, but it feels like it's more of a "young" crowd they are trying to pander to, hence, Quesada breaking up Spidey and MJ bc he thought marriage made Peter seem "too old." I just don't understand it. But they definitely should try something new, like you're suggesting. And I know that I'm a broken record at this point but make it a digital exclusive if you want to cut back on costs.

What's strange is I think for story purposes, MMX was better it didn't tie into the other X-Books, but I do agree. Even having a little bit of crossover could have helped boost sales a bit.
    Yeah you're probably right about them wanting to appeal to younger audiences for new readers, though I honestly think Legacy characters are by far the better way to go in that realm than keeping classic characters eternally 20 something. Younger kids expect more diversity and want characters they can relate to culturally. I love the notion of letting Peter Parker grow up and take on a mentorship role for Miles Morales for instance. But when I think of all the existing readership that has left comics in favor of fan fic, it's because they aren't getting the stories they want, not because they're cheapskates.

But hell to the yes on digital exclusives! That's the media of this generation anyway and the perfect way to try things out. And then print successful books to TPBs. I know this doesn't favor the current LCS model. Perhaps it's time those places adjust though? Progress can't stop indefinitely.

Personally I really enjoyed what Kelly did with both of the arcs by building new connections for them with the Shi'ar and Mojo, but unfortunately unless you're Wolverine it seems the way to sustain an X-book audience long term is with a wider cast of popular X-characters. Even just guesting Storm for an arc or Wolverine or Iceman or Laura would have done so much. And I recall complaints about them not taking on a bigger, more prominent role on the X-teams after both returning from a long absence which isn't without merit. Funny thing is most Gambit or Romy fans best loved that last short arc involving the Guild, but general X-fans seemed to enjoy the first arc with all the Shi'ar, Technet, and several X-Men appearances at the wedding and then the house party. Ah well, stuff to discuss later. I need to finish my re-read still.

But hell to the yes on digital exclusives! That's the media of this generation anyway and the perfect way to try things out. And then print successful books to TPBs. I know this doesn't favor the current LCS model. Perhaps it's time those places adjust though? Progress can't stop indefinitely.
    It's totally time for those places to adjust. I go to Legend in Omaha for my comics and they're smart to make that place a coffee shop. Seems like they're doing ok during the COVID times. Others just seem like they're going to be circling the drain if they don't find a way to adapt.

Personally I really enjoyed what Kelly did with both of the arcs by building new connections for them with the Shi'ar and Mojo, but unfortunately unless you're Wolverine it seems the way to sustain an X-book audience long term is with a wider cast of popular X-characters. Even just guesting Storm for an arc or Wolverine or Iceman or Laura would have done so much. And I recall complaints about them not taking on a bigger, more prominent role on the X-teams after both returning from a long absence which isn't without merit. Funny thing is most Gambit or Romy fans best loved that last short arc involving the Guild, but general X-fans seemed to enjoy the first arc with all the Shi'ar, Technet, and several X-Men appearances at the wedding and then the house party. Ah well, stuff to discuss later. I need to finish my re-read still.
    It's totally time for those places to adjust. I go to Legend in Omaha for my comics and they're smart to make that place a coffee shop. Seems like they're doing ok during the COVID times.

I think this is why being an X-Fan can be a real double-edged sword sometimes. They're a team first, with the characters branching off from the team for their own books rather than the Avengers and, say, Cap or Iron Man. So, not every X-Men fan is going to like every X-Man. So it becomes a pretty niche market, I would imagine. That's why I was hopeful MMX would do well, but man, it seemed to polarize even Gambit/Rogue fans

But yes, all stuff to talk about later! It's been really interesting re-reading MMX after a year or so of Excalibur
    Make Good Art

It's totally time for those places to adjust. I go to Legend in Omaha for my comics and they're smart to make that place a coffee shop. Seems like they're doing ok during the COVID times.
    I LOVE Legends! I'm glad they're hanging in. They're my favorite shop by far. When I have a pull list, it's with them and they were super excited when I bought the R&G TPB. The staff are so welcoming and friendly. They have a great stock of TPBs. I've never had time to get a coffee and read, but some day I'm totally going to. I work at UNMC so they are right on my way home. Unfortunately as I'm currently working from home most days now, I don't have a reason to drive all the way to midtown.

I think this is why being an X-Fan can be a real double-edged sword sometimes. They're a team first, with the characters branching off from the team for their own books rather than the Avengers and, say, Cap or Iron Man. So, not every X-Men fan is going to like every X-Man. So it becomes a pretty niche market, I would imagine. That's why I was hopeful MMX would do well, but man, it seemed to polarize even Gambit/Rogue fans

But yes, all stuff to talk about later! It's been really interesting re-reading MMX after a year or so of Excalibur
    Totally. It seems only the flagship books and Wolverine books can sustain consistent sales. It really needed full steam support from Gambit and Rogue fans plus a few more, but as you say some weren't into it. That was such a good discussion about MMX yesterday. Hopefully we can get a few more peeps for the next one on fanfic.That book really had so much going on that to classify it as a simple romance story would be so short sighted. It had more action than Excalibur, more creative and cinematic fight scenes, more and better humor, better dialogue, sci fi, space opera, a classic mcguffin/mad mad world plot, significant contributions to X-verse continuity, a great OG character and plenty of classic favorites, huge emotional beats, and treated its leads with respect. I hope we see the likes of it return again sooner than later.

I LOVE Legends! I'm glad they're hanging in. They're my favorite shop by far. When I have a pull list, it's with them and they were super excited when I bought the R&G TPB. The staff are so welcoming and friendly. They have a great stock of TPBs. I've never had time to get a coffee and read, but some day I'm totally going to. I work at UNMC so they are right on my way home. Unfortunately as I'm currently working from home most days now, I don't have a reason to drive all the way to midtown.
    Oh, nice! Yeah, they're the best. I love just browsing their trades whenever I'm able to make it down there, (although, I've mostly just been having my pull list mailed to me the last few months).

Totally. It seems only the flagship books and Wolverine books can sustain consistent sales. It really needed full steam support from Gambit and Rogue fans plus a few more, but as you say some weren't into it. That was such a good discussion about MMX yesterday. Hopefully we can get a few more peeps for the next one on fanfic.That book really had so much going on that to classify it as a simple romance story would be so short sighted. It had more action than Excalibur, more creative and cinematic fight scenes, more and better humor, better dialogue, sci fi, space opera, a classic mcguffin/mad mad world plot, significant contributions to X-verse continuity, a great OG character and plenty of classic favorites, huge emotional beats, and treated its leads with respect. I hope we see the likes of it return again sooner than later.
    Yeah, I agree. Really hoping that momentum carries over to the fan fic, especially since the fan fic is a little easier to access than the comic.

Quote Originally Posted by XForever View Post
    Nice! Always love Nakayama's art for these 2
    Make Good Art