Page 103 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105 LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 1563

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    That would be fine if it hasn't been Rogue's entire role since issue #1, when she first got worried about Betsy stuck in Otherworld. Also, Betsy didn't give 2 shits about Rogue's coma, that was all Gambit. At least build up the friendship decently if you want us to invest in it.

Again, 16 issues. There's not even a suplot going on with Rogue and Gambit. There's... nothing.

Art looks gorgeous, I agree.
    Yeah I get what you mean. Her characters tend to be extremely one-note most of the time.

Rogue - my personality is worrying about Betsy and ignoring my husband entirely. Jubilee - I'm a Mom and that's all I can talk about. Remy - I'm mad about being here and bad at everything, but obsessed with Rogue. Rictor - I can't function without [A] and have forgotten my space boyfriend entirely.

But hey, it's two pages. I will give the issue this one last chance to have a mission statement, actual plots for the team members, and make me care.

[insert something witty] PeachFlavoredXanax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    Also, Betsy didn't give 2 shits about Rogue's coma, that was all Gambit. At least build up the friendship decently if you want us to invest in it.
    Not only did Betsy not care, she actively made fun of Gambit for caring about Rogue being trapped in coma. If Betsy is gonna be this stone cold, can we at least bring back her crimson dawn mark?

https://www.marvel.com/articles/cult...EbMqdIvAq5WFKY
    her02-rogue-untouched-by-alisa-kwitney.jpg

On this the eve of an Excalibur issue I am finding it extremely difficult to get excited for, we have this interesting news to lift our spirits at least.

[insert something witty] PeachFlavoredXanax's Avatar

So Excalibur #16 is pretty solid. Rogue takes the lead a bit in this issue (thank god) her new determination on getting Betsy alive again is a little odd and random but, **** it!, it keeps the plot moving forward. After breakfast, Gambit & Rogue end up at the tiki bar day drinking. Rogue rocks a super cute braid look and Gambit decided to leave the house in a crop top. It tracks. Anyway, we FINALLY GET MUTANT MAGIC. Goddamn, only took #16 issues. Some notes about Rogue being the natural conduit for the group and the data page suggests more attempts with using magic more in the future so not sure what that means for Rogue (what does the conduit do?). It does confirm Gambit, Jubilee & Rictor are 3 of the 4 points.

Happy the book dumped Apocalypse, everyone is less angry. Better vibe. We’ll see how long it lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachFlavoredXanax View Post
    So Excalibur #16 is pretty solid. Rogue takes the lead a bit in this issue (thank god) her new determination on getting Betsy alive again is a little odd and random but, **** it!, it keeps the plot moving forward. After breakfast, Gambit & Rogue end up at the tiki bar day drinking. Rogue rocks a super cute braid look and Gambit decided to leave the house in a crop top. It tracks. Anyway, we FINALLY GET MUTANT MAGIC. Goddamn, only took #16 issues. Some notes about Rogue being the natural conduit for the group and the data page suggests more attempts with using magic more in the future so not sure what that means for Rogue (what does the conduit do?). It does confirm Gambit, Jubilee & Rictor are 3 of the 4 points.

Happy the book dumped Apocalypse, everyone is less angry. Better vibe. We’ll see how long it lasts.
    Yeah I totally agree! I didn't hate this issue. We got a few asks. The plot was at least laid out in a way that makes sense. I was so excited to see Rogue in a braid, even if just for a few panels and glad to see her take the lead. Gambit was a least contributing something. And yes, FINALLY wtf mutant magic is ... and tell me how is this different from the 5 or the 6 and the whole synergy thing? Don't know, don't care. But at least Apocalypse is gone and we're moving forward. Loved little Maggie! And seeing Warren at the end! Should be interesting! Tini's dialogue is still a super struggle bus at times, especially for Gambit. But at least this issue left me not pissed off and intrigued for the next one. Perhaps this ship can be righted yet.

For the first time since 2007 (I think), Rogue and Northstar talk to each other
    But the authors once again forget that JP is one of Rogue's closest friends

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    I thought that too. I was like...why are they talking to each other like an old white woman harassing a customer service worker?

I like Gambit's crop top though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    I thought that too. I was like...why are they talking to each other like an old white woman harassing a customer service worker?

They are? Whats the story there bc Im drawing a blank on them being close friends

As for the scene today, it can easily be explained as Rogue dealing with her grief. She was extra snappy bc she upset that X-Factor wasnt approving Betsy's resurrection. It was totally understandable and seemed more in character than her taking it in stride and responding back all nice

I’m sorry but this is just horrible for Gambit. Does he even have a personality? This issue shatters any illusions about Gambit having a plot. A character arc. An agenda or even a personality beyond married to Rogue. Tini must be yawning her way through what little dialogue she throws his way.

The art might be ok. It might be great. I’m not reading it for the art when the writing is so subpar. It’s distracting.

It wasn't good. Beautiful art with trash dialogues as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    They are? Whats the story there bc Im drawing a blank on them being close friends

As for the scene today, it can easily be explained as Rogue dealing with her grief. She was extra snappy bc she upset that X-Factor wasnt approving Betsy's resurrection. It was totally understandable and seemed more in character than her taking it in stride and responding back all nice
    They quickly became friends in the second X-Men / Alpha Flight crossover (where Rogue most likely inadvertently discovered Northstar's homosexuality but maintained a respectful silence) and then ended up in Carey's Supernovas where Rogue helped Northstar after everything the Hand put him through. They were happy to see each other

At least Rogue looked gorgeous with this braid
    I hope Marcus To continue to draw her with this hairstyle
    Last edited by rhaenylis; 12-23-2020 at 09:10 AM.

I'm lazy, so re-posting my thoughts from the Excalibur thread:

This issue was much improved. I didn't hate it and I actually am intrigued about what might happen next. This hasn't happened in the last 15 issues and I was ready to drop the book if this didn't deliver. So bravo, Tini, you have kept me on for the next issue!

I wish this had been #1 and not #16. It did more to establish the group dynamics and characterization than the whole last year maybe. Everyone felt more in character. I am beyond glad Apocalypse is gone, he was taking up all the air in the room. They finally have a united purpose in trying to recover Betsy. I still don't see them as a full fledged team under the name Excalibur, but it's a start.

We finally have a Jubilee who has opinions and purpose about anything besides Shogo. Don't get me wrong, I love Shogo but seriously. Go to Chris Sims or Christina Strain to see a well-written Mom Jubilee.

Rogue took the lead!!! Finally!!! She's a natural leader and should have been here all along. Her obsession with Bets is a tad over-the-top, but nowhere near me being mad at it. And she finally called out Apocalypse's manipulation. So glad to see her in that cute braid too! Still wish we got that more often.

Gambit was his charming self again. And cooking shirtless as he should be. I would still like to see way more out of him in contribution to the central plot, but just not seeing him abused or treated as a joke was a great first step.

Rictor ... his unhealthy obsession with the guy that helped/manipulated him is frankly annoying to me, but believable as a plot point. If he wants to be a magical druid and search for his BFF/daddy [A] instead of rescuing his hot space boyfriend I guess that's his perogative.

Meggan is a fine addition to the cast and I LOVE little Maggie. The absurdity of her super intelligence in the body of a toddler is quite charming. Seeing her interact with a normal intellect toddler like Shogo would be funny.

And FINALLY we get around to whatever the hell mutant magic is supposed to be. How it's exactly different from the other synergy groups like the 5 or the 6, I don't know from this nor do I particularly care. The fact it took this long to get to this point was a bit absurd and it's still poorly explained, but seeing as this is the whole premise of the title it's about time.

Overall this was less complex than previous issues and had zero action, but at least it made sense plot wise.

There is still a lot of wonky dialogue, but it was far less egregious. She REALLY needs to work on her Southerners though, Gambit in particular.

The art was just all around beautiful! Great work as always from Marcus! If not for him, I probably wouldn't have come back to even try this issue.

I was also really excited to get Fred in a few panels about Betsy and I laughed out loud when we see Warren pop up in bed with Betsy at the very end. Hoo boy, this should be good!

Super intrigued by Jaime doing business with Sinister too.

It was weird seeing Jaime and Brian trying to play happy family, but Avalon feels right for Brian and his family.

Overall, I was happy to see the effort made here by Tini and hope we can expect more of the same going forward. Please just do something useful with Gambit now and you'll really have my attention.

They quickly became friends in the second X-Men / Alpha Flight crossover (where Rogue most likely inadvertently discovered Northstar's homosexuality but maintained a respectful silence) and then ended up in Carey's Supernovas where Rogue helped Northstar after everything the Hand put him through. They were happy to see each other
    But super close?. I remember the first crossover. I wouldnt call them friends after that considering they never really interacted nor was it something that developed (unless Im missing something). I also didnt get that they were al that close in the X-men Annual (2007). He expressed gratitude but again there was no followup. There hasnt been anything special about the two over her interactions with any other X-man

At least Rogue looked gorgeous with this braid
    I hope Marcus To continue to draw her with this hairstyle
    She looked like a recolored Trinary bc that was the same hair and dress he gave her in the first issue

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    It wasn't good. Beautiful art with trash dialogues as always.
    ^This
    10char