Page 19 of 105 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Speaking of coping mechanisms ...

Don't forget Rogue and Gambit fanworks week starts next week. Details are organized here on Tumblr.

https://roguegambitweek.tumblr.com/p...mbit-week-2020
    Looking forward to this! I have a couple small things for Thursday and Friday. Maybe Saturday too if I have time
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    Looking forward to this! I have a couple small things for Thursday and Friday. Maybe Saturday too if I have time
    Yay! I can't wait to read! Honestly this thread needs a morality boost of some kind.

There has been so much momentum and resurgence for Rogue and Gambit since early 2018, seeing them both back in the spotlight and with the X-Men again. It's just dissapointing to feel like it's tanking already.

I'm still hopeful Excalibur might improve, but my expectations and enthusiasm are just super low.

We carry on the best we can I guess. This thread was still alive even when Remy had no book, Rogue was off the X-books, and they had been apart for years. So a little blip like lackluster characterization and dissapointing plot points is something we can endure.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Yay! I can't wait to read! Honestly this thread needs a morality boost of some kind.

There has been so much momentum and resurgence for Rogue and Gambit since early 2018, seeing them both back in the spotlight and with the X-Men again. It's just dissapointing to feel like it's tanking already.
    You nailed the one reason marvel and comics hate marriages. Rogue and Gambit may have been more interesting when they played, will they or won't they be together or dated one and off. this is obviously not my personal views, we know how boring and tiring these writers feel marriage can become.

I do like Rogue and Gambit as a couple more than Scott and Jean but it will be ignorance from us if we have not come to the terms they are going to be divorced at some point. Just hope it is not sooner than I think.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 01-27-2020 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    You nailed the one reason marvel and comics hate marriages. Rogue and Gambit may have been more interesting when they played, will they or won't they be together or dated one and off. this is obviously not my personal views, we know how boring and tiring these writers feel marriage can become.

I do like Rogue and Gambit as a couple more than Scott and Jean but it will be ignorance from us if we have not come to the terms they are going to be divorced at some point. Just hope it is not sooner than I think.
    See and I saw MMX really pushing back against that outdated stereotype of the boring married couple pretty successfully. And I can definitely think of other books that have done marriage justice, though definitely not so much in the X-books.

To keep any two commited characters interesting they need some conflict, both between each other and shared, and also individual trajectories and interests. I really don't understand why some level of strife and disagreement and independence shown in a relationship is seen as a death sentence. Because I don't think I know any couples who agree all the time or never do anything to drive each other a little crazy or spend every waking hour together. It's the coming together and staying commited in spite of all this conflict that makes relationships so interesting. This is how we get drama and tension in stabile relationships. The fight is against the easier route of letting go and giving up on each other.

And I think that's why Remy's response in the hot tub irked me so much. We already know from MMX that he IS at least a little bit interested in having a family. Maybe not immediately, but I would think the notion of potentially taking it off the table indefinitely or permanently would have given his character at least SOME pause. He should get to express at least some surprise or sadness or disappointment or even just a quiet pause in the discussion to absorb a big change.

The same topic of bodily autonomy within the context of a relationship came up in MMX when Xandra offered to fix Rogue. The difference there was Remy was allowed to react and given the space to have an opinion and independent POV. We get to see them work through the conflict. We already knew the right answer - that Remy would never ask her to do something with her body she didn't feel comfortable with. But as a partner, being informed in the decision was important.

We don't see this much nuance in the hot tub scene. Remy immediately parrots out the correct answer - that as it pertains to her body it's her choice. I think we would always have gotten there. But it's not very real or very interesting that he didn't get to express anything else.

It’s all in the writing and so far both of these characters aren’t being written well... it’s not the marriage that’s a problem. The “will they or won’t they” was tiring and exhausted and it’s about damned time we got them moving forward. Kelly’s book was super fun and enjoyable... in Excalibur NONE of the characters feel or sound like themselves IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    I feel as if, uh, little Remy would make an issue sell more than little Bruce.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Romy Ship View Post
    It’s all in the writing and so far both of these characters aren’t being written well... it’s not the marriage that’s a problem. The “will they or won’t they” was tiring and exhausted and it’s about damned time we got them moving forward. Kelly’s book was super fun and enjoyable... in Excalibur NONE of the characters feel or sound like themselves IMO.
    Not just your opinion. It's like Apocalypse lost his thesaurus. Jubilee is just there. Psylocke lost all her fire. Rogue is icy. Gambit is a bumbling hothead idiot. And Rictor... Rictor never had much of a personality to begin with.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Give Mike Carey the book and done.

THIS.. THIS is his rejected book so much.

I Mean British based book with all his favorite characters her pet character his "Captain America like"

Gosh Age of -°R-° could be a HUGE crossover

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post

I Mean British based book with all his favorite characters her pet character his "Captain America like"

We maybe don’t want to give Mike Carey a book with Rogue and Gambit in it.

(Carey writes beautifully but as Romy fan I’m a little burned by MC)

Extraordinary Member

Is rouge still a plant?

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Is rouge still a plant?
    Haha

Nah, she woke up pissed, killed Apocalypse, turned blue, and decided she never wants kids.

(I think I preferred her as a plant)

Hey Carey is a good soldier and the editorial wants them married and he will keep them that way if is the mandate.

Also Roguacy is the ultimate Rogue love book. next to Uncanny Avengers of Duggan and even Wells run.

[insert something witty] PeachFlavoredXanax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Romy Ship View Post
    We maybe don’t want to give Mike Carey a book with Rogue and Gambit
    Carey has been the only writer to make me rage quit, I’m happy to never see him anywhere near the franchise ever again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post

No, thanks. I would never buy a book with Carey as writer after Legacy crap. He need to stay away from Gambit and Rogue as far as possible.

I'm obviously not a fan of Rogneto, as the age difference alone is icky, but Carey put some solid work into it so I can at least see why he paired them up, even if it was really not my thing. The rest of his X-Men stuff is fantastic though IMO, using science and their powers in such interesting ways (the Children of the Vault* in India, and Hellion's powers at the construction site in particular), with strong character work at the core.

I'm a general fan of the X-Men though, with Rogue and Gambit among my faves, so stuff like this is potentially easier for me to swallow?

*I'm thrilled that they're back!

I will join Jumpy in being a slight Carey apologist. He did give us some great X-Men stories, gave Rogue some much needed character focus, and he gave us some truly gorgeous Gambit and Rogue moments. I'm still probably never going to completely forgive the way Rogneto was handled. But it's water under the bridge now. That said I would be reluctant to trust him with them again.
    Last edited by AppleJ; 01-28-2020 at 06:18 AM.