Page 29 of 105 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I guess...if you and others here perceived the last six issues and arc to be bad.
    I like them as a couple/married and yet I found nothing egregious about Tini's handling of them so far.
    What some have termed to be a "lack of personal agency, opinions and desires" I read differently...as a deeply (some team members saw it as overly and unduly) concerned man whose wife had been put into a coma under mysterious, inexplicable circumstances supposedly by a man who was up until recently a major villain...I would be very worried and angsty too.
    Yupp, Tini played it out a bit longer than she should have but...it really wasn't such a gross detraction of either character.

To each their own.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 02-10-2020 at 03:00 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Fantastic Member

I think, for me, Trini's writing of Gambit was retroactively made worse by #6. I could understand why he was panicked when she was in a coma, which is a an understandable thing for a spouse to be freaked out about; however, once it got to the kid conversation, it felt like Gambit completely lost his agency. There's nothing wrong with being childfree, and I think he was right in saying that it was Rogue's body and choice...but he didn't otherwise get voice his thoughts and opinions outside of echoing exactly what Rogue wanted, which didn't ring true for the character. Limited space time, of course, but prior characterization heavily implied he had lowgrade baby fever and going from that to Rogue saying she might not ever want kids would otherwise warrant a more serious discussion than "okay, whatever you want, let's bang!"

Gambit is trending on Twitter! Probably thanks to XMM and Gail Simone's 3 favorite X-Men question. Love seeing all that Remy love. For a character with such a great fanbase, I'd sure like to see him get more individualized plotlines.

Look I LOVE Romy. Like clearly I DO! I want them together. I want to see their relationship explored fully. I want them kicking a$$ together on the regular, doing cute domestic stuff, having squabbles and important discussions/arguments, and then hanging out all sexy in hot tubs to make up.

BUT ... they each deserve their own individual storylines too. Rogue's only definition shouldn't be "wife of Gambit" and Gambit's only definition shouldn't be "husband of Rogue".

As a woman, I know how it feels to be "wifed". Like you don't have individual interests or thoughts or a career outside being there in a supporting role to your spouse.

How Gambit has been treated lately is feeling a little like this to me. And it doesn't feel great.

Rogue at least clearly has a role in Excalibur integral to whatever Apocalypse's plan is and her storyline hardly revolves around Remy.

And perhaps more is coming for Remy. Thus far these first 6 issues have left me dissatisfied with his characterization on most accounts. It's very one note. But there's always room for redemption in my book. Sometimes a writer takes a while to find characters voices.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I guess...if you and others here perceived the last six issues and arc to be bad.
    I like them as a couple/married and yet I found nothing egregious about Tini's handling of them so far.
    What some have termed to be a "lack of personal agency, opinions and desires" I read differently...as a deeply (some team members saw it as overly and unduly) concerned man whose wife had been put into a coma under mysterious, inexplicable circumstances supposedly by a man who was up until recently a major villain...I would be very worried and angsty too.
    Yupp, Tini played it out a bit longer than she should have but...it really wasn't such a gross detraction of either character.

To each their own.
    Why are you trying to argue with the fans of the characters that it's a good portrayal? I can't imagine Tini stating in a interview: "I wrote a very succesful Gambit. Many enjoyed him. The only one's who didn't was his fans".

Also most don't dislike the portrayal because they find it out of character for him to be concerned with Rogue. It's because that's all we gotten.
    It's like saying you like key lime pie and then when you order it, 6 times in a row, all you are served is a couple of limes. Sure I like lime but I prefer not to eat just limes. It's quite sour on it's own.

The bathtub scene is without agency for Gambit. The dialouge is structered so that it's leading up to Rogue making her statement. Gambit reacts to it and we get a final joke about sex to end with. We learn nothing about what Gambit actually wants. He's supporting of his wife, as he should be. Still it tells us nothing about his thoughts. Tini choose to do the scene this way. In no way was it necisseted by her earlier scenes or plot that this scene must play out like this.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Well, he could try to argue/discuss her position but...considering she is the one who has to carry said potential baby to term, and all that implies with her personal concerns given her powers etc. his "agency" and opinion while valid as her spouse, are ultimately moot.
    Yes, it might warrant further discussion, Rogue may change her mind, she may not, the choice is ultimately hers to make...and Gambit can only be understanding and supportive...but it really is a non-issue plot at this point.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member

I can see validity in the idea that gambit wouldn’t really want to start a discussion about kids at that moment. They had just been through another crazy, traumatic incident and he probably wants to relax for the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Gambit is trending on Twitter! Probably thanks to XMM and Gail Simone's 3 favorite X-Men question. Love seeing all that Remy love. For a character with such a great fanbase, I'd sure like to see him get more individualized plotlines.

Look I LOVE Romy. Like clearly I DO! I want them together. I want to see their relationship explored fully. I want them kicking a$$ together on the regular, doing cute domestic stuff, having squabbles and important discussions/arguments, and then hanging out all sexy in hot tubs to make up.

BUT ... they each deserve their own individual storylines too. Rogue's only definition shouldn't be "wife of Gambit" and Gambit's only definition shouldn't be "husband of Rogue".

As a woman, I know how it feels to be "wifed". Like you don't have individual interests or thoughts or a career outside being there in a supporting role to your spouse.
    I can also see validity in the complaint that gambit has been ‘wifed.’ Also, what’s the Gail Simone thing?

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    I can see validity in the idea that gambit wouldn’t really want to start a discussion about kids at that moment. They had just been through another crazy, traumatic incident and he probably wants to relax for the moment.

I can also see validity in the complaint that gambit has been ‘wifed.’ Also, what’s the Gail Simone thing?
    She had a "name your 3 favorite X-Men" survey on Twitter and she has a lot of followers. I saw quite a few Gambit and Rogue answers. Probably contributed to Gambit trending, though there was something else going on not comic related as well it seems.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Disliking the couple's portrayal in Excalibur... Does not mean, you dislike their marriage. Where did that logic come from? I've been a defender of the "Gambit isn't Rogue's sidekick" thing, at least in part because I enjoyed MMX more than not. Much more than not. But c'mon... He's brushing her hair. I can't defend it anymore. They've jumped the shark. Their marriage since being portrayed under Tini has been 100% Rogue adoration, all the time. There's nothing more to the character at the moment. That's not what marriage is. Marriage isn't effing assimilation. Your not injected with Borg nano probes at the altar. Art looks good though.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Disliking the couple's portrayal in Excalibur... Does not mean, you dislike their marriage. Where did that logic come from? I've been a defender of the "Gambit isn't Rogue's sidekick" thing, at least in part because I enjoyed MMX more than not. Much more than not. But c'mon... He's brushing her hair. I can't defend it anymore. They've jumped the shark. Their marriage since being portrayed under Tini has been 100% Rogue adoration, all the time. There's nothing more to the character at the moment. That's not what marriage is. Marriage isn't effing assimilation. Your not injected with Borg nano probes at the altar. Art looks good though.
    Hahahahaha "Art looks good though"
    I like the cut of your jib, donpricetag. hahaha

Honestly I think the hairbrushing thing is adorable. I just want to see the admiration going both ways.

How Gambit has been treated lately is feeling a little like this to me. And it doesn't feel great.

Rogue at least clearly has a role in Excalibur integral to whatever Apocalypse's plan is and her storyline hardly revolves around Remy.

And perhaps more is coming for Remy. Thus far these first 6 issues have left me dissatisfied with his characterization on most accounts. It's very one note. But there's always room for redemption in my book. Sometimes a writer takes a while to find characters voices.
    That's why I really think they should be in different team books. That way, we could have each of them with their own storyline and interacting with other charactars AND they could guest star in each other books to give us some fun, yummy couple scenes.

Honestly I think the hairbrushing thing is adorable. I just want to see the admiration going both ways.
    I understand. It would be a small adorable moment in a good book. At this point people are tired of bad writing and such moments that could be adorable just looks like complete 100% Rogue adoration without anything left for Gambit as character.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    That's why I really think they should be in different team books. That way, we could have each of them with their own storyline and interacting with other charactars AND they could guest star in each other books to give us some fun, yummy couple scenes.
    They just need to be written by a writer who wants to write both characters and understands them. Excalibur is just completely not such scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    That would be fine, but I still believe there is no reason this shouldn't and couldn't also be accomplished when they are in the same book. This is a flaw in the writing so far.

That would be fine, but I still believe there is no reason this shouldn't and couldn't also be accomplished when they are in the same book. This is a flaw in the writing so far.
    Completely agree.