Page 13 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member Kalternativa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    spoilers:
    Just speaking to the Rogue and Gambit moments only ... this arc was hugely disappointing in a lot of ways. But even the overall story arc was completely unsatisfying and anticlimactic.

Starting where we left off at from the preview, Rogue is being dismissive of Remy's concern (unfounded or not) and he is fussing uncharacteristically over her. Annoying. Everyone is calling out their battle plans. Also annoying, I hate when characters do this. But it doesn't even matter because before the battle even really gets going A shows up, already resurrected. Super annoying! Because Rogue's "killing" him has no real consequences here, emotional or otherwise, and he's not even taken off the board for a hot minute! All it served was as a way to open the portal. So A steps in and makes an agreement with Morgan for a duel between Bets and Brian to the death, winner take the crown. For some dumb reason Bets goes along with it and suddenly Rogue's all "A was right, the flower casket was a good thing for me, go ahead with the duel Bets". Ok????? Granted Rogue is still in A blue face here, so whatever. The duel goes sideways anyway because Bets won't kill Brian and Jaime shows up anyway to defeat them both and take the crown as he was plotting with A all along. Really what was the point?! Then everyone just f@&%'s off to let A and Jaime take over Otherworld & do whatever they like with Morgan … which turns out to be dissection?! Great job heroes. (facepalm)

There is other Bets & Brian drama that didn't really do much for me, but moving on ...

Skipping right to the steamy scene. It is visually beautiful. Sexy, sweet, just the great character moment this book needs and finally a chance for our couple to seriously reconnect … and it's basically just Rogue telling Gambit she doesn't want a baby. It was good to indirectly confirm here that it's something she can't do without extraordinary means … that tracks. What doesn't quite track is her telling Remy that she's not only not emotionally ready for a child now, but may NEVER be. (Is this the same Rogue who nearly gave up her powers because she wanted that possibility? And once asked Gambit about wanting a family?! Also said she wanted "it all" in MMX?) Granted characters change, but it really doesn't feel like Rogue to me. Maybe more like what the writer wants her to want? I don't even know. I can totally buy her being afraid and not being ready right now and not wanting to feel pressured by this Krakoan "law", but this seems more like she flat out never wants kids period.

So thanks for effectively quashing that one last tiny bit of possibility and excitement for us, Tini. Nothing like a big build up to absolutely nothing.

There also seems to be some hint/implication that Rogue's dream could be prophetic in some way. And we still have all that foreshadowing from before to contend with. Basically this was all done to either to yank our collective chains or because it's still happening no matter what Rogue wants. Rogue and Gambit get busy following this conversation. So now if she does get pregnant, even by accident due to magical intervention, it suddenly feels like a tragedy instead of something miraculous or joyful because she doesn't want it. And that kind of sucks. Again, quashing fan excitement … great plan.

Gambit for his part is nothing but supportive - your body, your decision. Which ... good for him at least. And I think we can probably imply from Rogue's reticence in this scene and her coolness from issue #1 that she was probably afraid to tell him all this. Ok, I can buy that. But Tini's not writing Rogue as a very good partner. She doesn't even ask Remy how he feels about it. Luckily he immediately volunteers right up that it doesn't matter to him, … but is that actually true? Again, it doesn't really track with past discussions they've had. Also Rogue never acknowledges Remy's distress over her coma or thanks him for sending Rachel. When he says he "didn't sleep", she bypasses his comment completely. Who does this to their partner? And that line from before, "I've never needed you less." Wow … just wow … Remy is continually supportive of Rogue the whole arc, to his own detriment even, and all she does to return that support is save him from A. Also no one ever acknowledges he was right.

The hot tub scene could have (and should have) been wonderful, if it had some much needed emotional nuance and balance. It was at least very sexy.

Jubilee and Rictor seemed like wallpaper this issue, and really that was Jubes for the whole arc overall.

I'm seriously at a loss with this book. You couldn't try much harder to alienate Gambit fans. There is absolutely no Blue Team synergy. Rogue and Gambit feel unbalanced and hardly like themselves half the time. It's not very fun overall save a cute moment here or a neat idea there. It's not very emotionally deep even when it ties to be, the plot seemed almost pointless and yet the characters still seem to serve the plot moreso than the story serving them. It felt like watching other people play DnD where you don't know the characters or their motivations beyond a basic outline, no one can act, and not much gets accomplished. There were no amazing fight scenes. At the end of this they still don't feel like any kind of cohesive team.

Maybe I'll have more positive thoughts once I stew on it longer, but I'm basically at peak frustration with this book and an issue #6 that still can't deliver much satisfaction.
    end of spoilers
    I agree with you in every single word.

Excalibur is a total garbage. I am sad that To`s beautiful art is wasted on it.
    AppleJ summarized main problems of this book really good.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Ugh. This is like the only book I have on my pull list at my LCS right now but I might have to end it. So disappointing
    Make Good Art

7bdd87b0-4af1-47db-97eb-b0bd269bb8ff.jpg

So yeah ... just gonna put this here.

RCO011_1468831263.jpg

And then we have this.

7bdd87b0-4af1-47db-97eb-b0bd269bb8ff.jpg

So yeah ... just gonna put this here.
    I haven't read the issue yet so I can't comment on that. Looking at past material and more specificly Mr&Mrs X it's supports the notion of them wanting to have a child. Depending on what direction Howard goes with this all we can do now is look at what she has written so far. Several of the things she has introduced supports the idea of them a child. If she did all this just to have Rogue say she doesn't want one then it's just waste of pages. Bad subplotting that so far hasn't really worked with the themes she is trying to establish. Emphasise on trying here.

If she goes with them ending the speculation on children like this then I wonder what KT thinks about it. Kind of flyes in the face of what she did.

Bah if someone wants them to have children then what Tini does here means nothing. Easy come, easy go.

Spectacular Member

Reposted!

Ok, I've given it 6 issues now and overall this story arc and this book in general has been wholly unsatisfying and anticlimactic to me.

My rehash from what I said on the Rogue/Gambit thread:

I'm seriously at a loss with this book. You couldn't have tried much harder to alienate Gambit fans. There is absolutely no Blue Team synergy. Rogue and Gambit feel unbalanced and out of character half the time. I didn't find it fun or funny overall save a cute moment here or a neat idea there (firepupRachel, dragon Shogo) and a few sexy panels. It's not hitting me emotionally even when it tries, the plot has seemed almost pointless and yet the characters still seem to serve the plot moreso than the story serving them. It felt like sitting in a room watching other people playing DnD where the characters are just a basic outline, no one can act, and not much actually gets accomplished. There were no amazing fight scenes. At the end of this they still don't feel like any kind of cohesive team. The art has been gorgeous throughout but it's not enough to save the book for me. I still don't know what mutant magic is.

For starters, everyone is calling out their battle plans - big pet peeve. But it doesn't even matter because before the battle even really gets going A shows up, already resurrected. Well gee, that was fast. Rogue's "killing" him has no real consequences here, emotional or otherwise, and he's not even taken off the board for a hot minute! All it served was as a way to open the portal. They just let A step in and make an agreement with Morgan for a duel between Bets and Brian to the death, winner take the crown. And suddenly Rogue's all "A was right, the flower casket was a good thing for me, go ahead with the duel Bets". Ok????? Wtf? Granted Rogue is still in her A face here, so whatever. The duel goes sideways anyway because Bets won't kill Brian & he dies/gets resurrected anyway as Jaime shows up to defeat them both and take the crown as he was plotting with A all along. Really, what was the point?! Then everyone just f@&%'s off to let A and Jaime take over Otherworld & do whatever they like with Morgan … which turns out to be dissection?! Great job heroes. (facepalm)

The rest of the Bets & Brian drama didn't really do much for me so I won't even go into it, but moving on ...

Skipping right to the steamy hot tub scene. It is visually beautiful. Sexy, sweet, just the great character moment this book needs and finally a chance for our married couple to seriously reconnect after everything … and it's basically just Rogue telling Gambit she doesn't want a baby. It was good to indirectly confirm here that it's something she can't do without extraordinary means … that tracks. What doesn't quite track is her telling Remy that not only is she not emotionally ready for a child now, but may NEVER be. (Is this the same Rogue who nearly gave up her powers because she wanted that possibility and Mystique had to stop her? The same Rogue who once asked Gambit about wanting a family as the world was ending?! The same Rogue who said she wanted "it all" and "maybe" in MMX?) Granted characters change, but it really doesn't feel like Rogue to me. Maybe more like what the writer wants her to want? I don't even know. I can totally buy her being afraid after the dream and not being ready right now and not wanting to feel pressured by this Krakoan "law", but this seems more like she flat out never wants kids at all, period. Again, a totally valid choice that deserves representation in comics. But I don't think it tracks with her previous continuity. And choosing kids is an equally valid choice that also deserves representation. Gambit for his part is nothing but supportive and good as gold - your body, your decision. And I think we can probably imply from Rogue's reticence in this scene and her coolness from issue #1 that she was probably afraid to tell him all this. Ok, I can buy all that. But Tini's not writing Rogue as a very good partner as she doesn't even ask Remy how he feels about it. Luckily he immediately volunteers right up that it doesn't matter to him, … but is that actually true? Again, it doesn't really track with past discussions they've had. Guess we'll see.

But basically all the anticipation and foreshadowing thus far has amounted to absolutely nothing. Huge letdown.

There does seem to be some possible hint/implication that Rogue's dream could be prophetic in some way, especially with all that other foreshadowing to contend with. Basically this was all done either to yank our collective chains or because it may still happen. Rogue and Gambit get busy following this conversation now that her magical encounter has cured her power control issue … again. Interesting, right? But now if she does get pregnant, even on accident due to some kind of magical intervention, it suddenly feels like a tragedy in the making instead of something miraculous or joyful because she doesn't even want it. And that kind of sucks.

The hot tub scene could have (and should have) been wonderful otherwise. It was at least very sexy and emotional.

Jubilee and Rictor seemed like wallpaper in this issue, and really Jubes was basically wallpaper for the whole story. What was her character arc, exactly? Rictor at least got a few good issues with a decent arc.

I'm so frustrated. I'm probably just going to drop it for a while.
    I SO AGREE WITH YOU ON EVERYTHING YOU ARE SAYING. Will add more comments later (if I can’t fight through the disappointment with the book), but just had to chime in.
    Agreed – Biggest complaint in the moment is Rogue not wanting kids ever. Sure, I can believe Rogue not being ready yet for kids and likely to rebel from leadership encouraging them to produce offspring under law, as well as being poked and prodded by scientists. But Rogue not wanting kids…EVER…is very uncharacteristic. Feels like a slap in the face if you’ve been following her story for years. AppleJ, you’ve referenced these examples, but I thought I’d capture them (which i see you starting to do )

• Early years – Rogue indirectly admits to wanting a family…
    http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/voic...mbit_Truth.jpg
    • I couldn’t find the online image, but Rogue explains to Mystique why she seeks mutant power cure from Dr. Aubrey Agee - she was even willing to be poked and prodded - “Ah don’t hate what Ah am, Ah hate what’s being kept from me. Ah want these hands to be able to hold a lover in them without the fear that Ah’ll consume him! And what about holdin’ a child in mah arms some day? How can either of those things happen as long as Ah’m some freak of nature?”
    • Rogue tells Remy she is ready for everything and she wants it ALL!
    https://bit.ly/30HPlz4
    • Rogue tells Remy that kids is a possibility – some day.
    https://comic-watch.com/wp-content/u...KS-KELLY-2.jpg

I wanted to like this book but Tini is a huge let down for Romy fans so far.... she treats Gambit like she hates him. Bah!
    Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    I feel as if, uh, little Remy would make an issue sell more than little Bruce.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Romy Ship View Post
    I wanted to like this book but Tini is a huge let down for Romy fans so far.... she treats Gambit like she hates him. Bah!
    Agreed.

I am so annoyed by the "Rogue! Stay with me, please, chere?" Like seriously? Gambit doesn't coddle people.

And I was impressed with the fact Gambit accepts that it's Rogue's body and respects her decision on having a child. That is consistent. He was willing to marry her even before her powers were under control. he just wanted to be with her. That tracks. But I want him to care about things outside of Rogue and I want Rogue to be considerate of his feelings. AppleJ is so on the money with how she so quickly dismissed him worrying about her and not sleeping. She is acting like an awful partner here.

I do wonder though why Exaclibur has upset me so much. I've read awful storylines before where Gambit and Rogue don't act like themselves (Bizarre Love Triangle, Death, and more...). I particularly remember being a teenager and reading Wolverine #75 and when Magneto ripped out all of the adamantium from his body, and the lightening wrecked Jean's concentration and everyone was getting sucked out of a hatch - including Rogue and Gambit. I remember Rogue's line was "Gambit - help me" and thinking, you have super strength and can fly...why the heck is Rogue asking Gambit for help? And I always chalked it up that the Wolverine writers didn't usually have Rogue in their book so didn't know her character/voice and maybe didn't have to. But Rogue and Gambit are in the Excalibur roster and they are so out of character. I think again that after Kelly Thompson for me, my expectations are too high now?

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    I haven't read the issue yet so I can't comment on that. Looking at past material and more specificly Mr&Mrs X it's supports the notion of them wanting to have a child. Depending on what direction Howard goes with this all we can do now is look at what she has written so far. Several of the things she has introduced supports the idea of them a child. If she did all this just to have Rogue say she doesn't want one then it's just waste of pages. Bad subplotting that so far hasn't really worked with the themes she is trying to establish. Emphasise on trying here.

If she goes with them ending the speculation on children like this then I wonder what KT thinks about it. Kind of flyes in the face of what she did.

Bah if someone wants them to have children then what Tini does here means nothing. Easy come, easy go.
    I am guessing Rogue will get pregnant sooner rather than later. No real point in having that dialogue unless the opposite actually happens. So seems more to me like Rogue says she doesn't want a child and omg she ends up getting pregnant.

Then again, maybe Tini is that bad a writer that she introduced that topic for no reason at all.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    I am guessing Rogue will get pregnant sooner rather than later. No real point in having that dialogue unless the opposite actually happens. So seems more to me like Rogue says she doesn't want a child and omg she ends up getting pregnant.

Then again, maybe Tini is that bad a writer that she introduced that topic for no reason at all.
    It might be a revelant subplot if we think about the whole context of Krakoa and DoX and how one of the laws is to make babies (not exactly, but you know what I mean) and now Rogue is against it.

That said, I haven't read the issue yet. Looks like it's a bad one again.

X-Men Alpha #1 - Charles & Nanny.jpg

rgchild7b.jpg

tumblr_8efbb2491c8573ba073157903ec253e8_afaf6107_1280.jpg

Yeah ... Rogue obviously doesn't want kids, huh? * insert sarcasm here *

And if she really and truly doesn't (which I clearly still don't buy), can we all see how it could be incredibly problematic if it happens anyway now?

Will she want to terminate? That will make some readers and characters in story mad (every mutant is sacred). It might even cause marriage troubles. Remy is clearly interested in a kid despite being fine with her decision. Will she experience a change of heart and want it? That will make the people who didn't want babies mad and make Rogue seem a bit flakey. Will it endanger her life, but she wants to keep it anyway and Remy wants rid of it to save her? (Hoo boy, here goes Mutant Twilight). Maybe the anonymous rumors will hold true and they'll have it transferred into a Krakoan egg growth chamber. What if she has it that way but wants nothing to do with it and Remy does? More strife.

So we have all those options to look forward to. Or we "maybe never" get to explore this in the actual 616 at all based on the preference of a single writer. Or they just adopt Gambit's teenage cosplayer. But hey, she doesn't even want a kid so why would she adopt?
    Last edited by AppleJ; 01-22-2020 at 07:15 PM.

Mighty Member

If male writers treated Rogue the way female writers treat Gambit... I think you get my point.

Honestly? I know you and I don't agree on this subject (though me not wanting Rogue to have a baby doesn't mean the character feels the same way, obviously lol), but that panel from Mr and Mrs X makes it clear that she's not into the idea at all... for now.

The first panel is from an alternate future (XM The End, right?).

That said, she has touched on the subject of having a family before (I recall a conversation with Gambit in that Cable issue pre-Age of Apocalypse where Remy was dismissive) so it was something very close to her heart in the past. People change... Maybe she did as well?

Again, I haven't read today's issue yet. :/

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    Honestly? I know you and I don't agree on this subject (though me not wanting Rogue to have a baby doesn't mean the character feels the same way, obviously lol), but that panel from Mr and Mrs X makes it clear that she's not into the idea at all... for now.

The first panel is from an alternate future (XM The End, right?).

That said, she has touched on the subject of having a family before (I recall a conversation with Gambit in that Cable issue pre-Age of Apocalypse where Remy was dismissive) so it was something very close to her heart in the past. People change... Maybe she did as well?

Again, I haven't read today's issue yet. :/
    I wouldn't mind if Rogue changed her mind but Tini doesn't acknowledge that at all! That makes her sloppy.

If Tini had Rogue acknowledge her past of wanting a baby and then revealing she no longer feels that way, then I would've said it was earned.

Tini writes Rogue how The Fallen Angels writer writes Laura. Complete ignores recent developments of them.

Speaking of Fallen Angels, this title is currently the next one to be cancelled if something doesn't change.