Page 85 of 105 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 1563

Excalibur spoilers-- I don't know how to do the spoilers blackout so here is a space

Ugh. Yeah, Excalibur was not a good read for Gambit and Rogue fans. Why, why, why, why, a thousand times why are they all so invested in helping Apocalypse and with getting into Otherworld? Why would Gambit think he would ever have a better time to mess with Apocalypse plans? Just awful.

Quote Originally Posted by thjan View Post
    Excalibur spoilers-- I don't know how to do the spoilers blackout so here is a space

Ugh. Yeah, Excalibur was not a good read for Gambit and Rogue fans. Why, why, why, why, a thousand times why are they all so invested in helping Apocalypse and with getting into Otherworld? Why would Gambit think he would ever have a better time to mess with Apocalypse plans? Just awful.
    Sadly I am going to have to echo these sentiments.

This series continues to frustrate me. Honestly, the plotting and the dialogue and the pacing just don't do a thing for me. I find myself hating Apocalypse, baffled that these characters keep doing his bidding with weak protests at most, the magic references make me shrug with complete indifference and I seriously can't be made to care what his goals are. This does nothing to interest me in X of Swords. I can't understand the praise that's being heaped on it.

As for Romy - Rogue is unnecessarily prickly and bossy toward Gambit, after being so warm and flirty last issue. We get more bad jokes from her about Gambit's cats to the point it's now so obnoxious that I'm starting to hate the cats. Yes, couples squabble, but this lands more as if they don't even like each other. Just UGH. Gambit displays more of his "master thief" skills by now toting the stolen gem in plain sight. WHY?!!? It was bad enough he easily plucked it from an open cabinet. Now he doesn't even bother to hide it?! Then he lies to Rogue about its identity for no clear purpose. Why is he suddenly mistrustful of her about Candra of all people?! Tini wants us to be impressed and know she read MMX by even referencing their last meet up with her. Actually Candra's spirit was maybe the best part of this issue? Her crack about the obvious joke around tying Rogue up was at least funny. Gambit can't stop calling everyone mon amie.

He is given the choice of helping Candra versus helping Apocalypse, neither one a win for him. Why he would make a move for Apocalypse I cannot fathom as the threat of the gate closure is rather minor, but somehow we're to believe chucking the stone to Apocalypse was the lesser of two evils. Meanwhile Betsy is especially useless this issue. She's very like, "oh you have the Candra stone? Well give it to A!" And Ric is all "yes sure, let's murder some Eternals to further this plot". Wth ... seriously?!

Why. Are. You. Helping. Him?! 12 issues of this now. It's miserable. I don't want to read an Apocalypse book with a side of droopy Blue team. Nobody is clever or skilled. Well Ric is skilled, but not clever. Everyone is wasted in this book.

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    This Snapshot may well be Scott's best story since at least Gillen's run. I loved it
    Given it's written by a Cyclops superfan and part of the XPlain the X-Men podcast duo, I'm not surprised to hear it's great. As not a huge Cyclops fan, I probably wasn't going to read it though. Is the Gambit cameo worth the price of admission?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post

This series continues to frustrate me. Honestly, the plotting and the dialogue and the pacing just don't do a thing for me. I find myself hating Apocalypse, baffled that these characters keep doing his bidding with weak protests at most, the magic references make me shrug with complete indifference and I seriously can't be made to care what his goals are. This does nothing to interest me in X of Swords. I can't understand the praise that's being heaped on it.

As for Romy - Rogue is unnecessarily prickly and bossy toward Gambit, after being so warm and flirty last issue. We get more bad jokes from her about Gambit's cats to the point it's now so obnoxious that I'm starting to hate the cats. Yes, couples squabble, but this lands more as if they don't even like each other. Just UGH. Gambit displays more of his "master thief" skills by now toting the stolen gem in plain sight. WHY?!!? It was bad enough he easily plucked it from an open cabinet. Now he doesn't even bother to hide it?! Then he lies to Rogue about its identity for no clear purpose. Why is he suddenly mistrustful of her about Candra of all people?! Tini wants us to be impressed and know she read MMX by even referencing their last meet up with her. Actually Candra's spirit was maybe the best part of this issue? Her crack about the obvious joke around tying Rogue up was at least funny. Gambit can't stop calling everyone mon amie.

He is given the choice of helping Candra versus helping Apocalypse, neither one a win for him. Why he would make a move for Apocalypse I cannot fathom as the threat of the gate closure is rather minor, but somehow we're to believe chucking the stone to Apocalypse was the lesser of two evils. Meanwhile Betsy is especially useless this issue. She's very like, "oh you have the Candra stone? Well give it to A!" And Ric is all "yes sure, let's murder some Eternals to further this plot". Wth ... seriously?!

Why. Are. You. Helping. Him?! 12 issues of this now. It's miserable. I don't want to read an Apocalypse book with a side of droopy Blue team. Nobody is clever or skilled. Well Ric is skilled, but not clever. Everyone is wasted in this book.
    I mean you read my mind on a lot of it. Gambit waving the gem around, Rogue being kinda (please forgive the pun) “catty” lol. And yeah Idk if you ever saw game of thrones but Apocypse has a lot of Littlefinger vibes where no one trusts him but yet always gets away with everything when really everyone should be suspecting home.

For me I liked Gambit this issue quite a bit. Some of the things he did made sense, to me personally. Him and Candra’s spirit and not telling Rogue made me think of a game I played called Tales of the Borderlands where there was kind of a reanimated hologram out of an item. And in that game I chose not to tell anyone. So Gambit did what I did. It felt like he was planning stuff

The main criticism of the issue I have is the end but I can’t be sure if it’s a criticism or I just can’t see the whole picture yet. On the one hand if they literally ended last episode with Gambit stealing the object just to throw it to Apocolyse then we don’t see Gambit for awhile I’ll be mad. Especially if he only threw it because Betsy told him to.

But if they show Gambit doing a “gambit” move for a long term play and Gambit has a hand in the main Apocolypse battle later on then it’s good writing.

I enjoy what Gambit said about dealing with Candra today (though I kinda wish they had extended that dynamic for a little while) then dealing with Apocolypse later. If Gambit and Rogue end up a big part of Sword of X I’ll be happy

Though I will say I think the issue was kinda fun focusing on the 4 characters I cared about Gambit Rogue Candra and Pac.
    Last edited by Gripstir; 09-16-2020 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    I mean you read my mind on a lot of it. Gambit waving the gem around, Rogue being kinda (please forgive the pun) “catty” lol. And yeah Idk if you ever saw game of thrones but Apocypse has a lot of Littlefinger vibes where no one trusts him but yet always gets away with everything when really everyone should be suspecting home.

For me I liked Gambit this issue quite a bit. Some of the things he did made sense, to me personally. Him and Candra’s spirit and not telling Rogue made me think of a game I played called Tales of the Borderlands where there was kind of a reanimated hologram out of an item. And in that game I chose not to tell anyone. So Gambit did what I did. It felt like he was planning stuff

The main criticism of the issue I have is the end but I can’t be sure if it’s a criticism or I just can’t see the whole picture yet. On the one hand if they literally ended last episode with Gambit stealing the object just to throw it to Apocolyse then we don’t see Gambit for awhile I’ll be mad. Especially if he only threw it because Betsy told him to.

But if they show Gambit doing a “gambit” move for a long term play and Gambit has a hand in the main Apocolypse battle later on then it’s good writing.

I enjoy what Gambit said about dealing with Candra today (though I kinda wish they had extended that dynamic for a little while) then dealing with Apocolypse later. If Gambit and Rogue end up a big part of Sword of X I’ll be happy

Though I will say I think the issue was kinda fun focusing on the 4 characters I cared about Gambit Rogue Candra and Pac.
    I actually thought Gambit was okay in this issue as well. Previous issue wasn't too bad either. A few faults here and there, but an improvement from before. I still need to read the last few issues properly, but I like that Candra is used again. Always was an underrated character.

Given it's written by a Cyclops superfan and part of the XPlain the X-Men podcast duo, I'm not surprised to hear it's great. As not a huge Cyclops fan, I probably wasn't going to read it though. Is the Gambit cameo worth the price of admission?
    No, it is not. He is just a wallpaper on 2 panels.

Marvel honors X-Men legend Chris Claremont in December

https://www.gamesradar.com/amp/marve...mpression=true

So Excalibur 12. Overall it wasn't good but it had moments that I liked.
    Romy dialogues are garbage. Tini can't do it. Rogue is wasted this issue again.

I loved Gambit/Candra dialogues. It was good.

It wasn't necessary but I liked that Gambit lied about gem. All previous issues he was just moaning Rogue so it was nice to see him having his agenda and making his own decision what to do with it. Even if it wasn't good or right.

Gambit killed Candra. Take one External at a time. I don't like that Candra is dying so often but I liked that Gambit killed her. As I read that moment it was like I get rid off Candra now and later will get rid off Apoc.
    Will see how it will end. Probably nothing good but it has potential. Remy still has a sword (probably that Apoc used to make Candra's gem) and cards (probably Taro) in his bag.

The biggest problem with the Candra scene is that it contributes nothing to the overall plot or character arc for Gambit. What new information do we learn about Gambit? Nothing beyond he still doesn't trust Apocalypse. Witch has been his only thing even resembeling a plot or reason for him to be in the comic.
    What's even worse is that it takes away Gambits chance to be an active character in this series. Now we get some "But later, oh later. The things I will do then!" vague crap that we usually get in bad soap operas. Gambit remains a passive character. Witch is highly unsual for him.

Both the gem and Candras ritual was referenced last issue. Both as a introduction to the ritual and as a setup for a obstacle that would be solved within these 2 issues. It just reeks of filler that looks better when planing. Tini figures out that she can give Remy some pages and show us that she has read MMX. While not actually letting anything happen.

Heck I would have easilly preferred a simple scene where Gambit shows them he has teh gem and asks all of them why Apocalypse should have it. Thereby giving us a real reason why these characters are so trusting and dancing to whatever tune Apocalypse plays. Instead we get the normal well he did A in issue 1, so we bot B in issue 2-4 and now they have to do C,D;E and so on because they have done A-B.

At this point if that plot will move forward I think we have only 2 options:
    After issue1, 5 and 12 we will later see how Gambit flashes out Apoc's evil plans and defeats him in some way.
    Don't believe that Tini will write it.

Or Apoc will end up as a right one that were doing all the best for mutants and Gambit will change his opinion and join Apoc as leader. Would be a total crap but probably it will happen because Tini is writing.
    Last edited by Purplevit; 09-17-2020 at 03:50 AM.

Yeah, I didn't even bother mentioning the poor Rogue and Gambit interactions in the issue. That was just par for the course as far as this series is concerned usually. I had some hope last issue that maybe she was finally starting to get the tiniest grasp of these two characters but nope.

He is given the choice of helping Candra versus helping Apocalypse, neither one a win for him. Why he would make a move for Apocalypse I cannot fathom as the threat of the gate closure is rather minor, but somehow we're to believe chucking the stone to Apocalypse was the lesser of two evils.
    Yep, I didn't get that either. And yeah, I get that he doesn't want to help Candra either, but how about just charging it and throwing it the opposite direction or if that wouldn't work simply hiding it somewhere along the way(you know using stealth and his skills instead of walking around with it in the open)and deciding how best to destroy it later. Yet again, why do they all feel this pressing need to help Apocalypse!?

Meanwhile Betsy is especially useless this issue. She's very like, "oh you have the Candra stone? Well give it to A!" And Ric is all "yes sure, let's murder some Eternals to further this plot". Wth ... seriously?!
    Yeah, I would feel sorry for Rictor fans except I think most of them are satisfied with him just appearing and being " OMG so Powerful!". For some people power level is all that matters.

Yep, it is getting tiring. And yep, Apocalypse is the only one allowed to be smart in this entire series.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post

Nope, Gambit threw away his only chance at being truly relevant in this series when he threw that gem. That was his best and probably only chance of being any kind of hindrance to Apocalypse plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Marvel honors X-Men legend Chris Claremont in December

https://www.gamesradar.com/amp/marve...mpression=true
    Super looking forward to this. I hope Gambit and Storm have a fairly large part to play in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    What's even worse is that it takes away Gambits chance to be an active character in this series. Now we get some "But later, oh later. The things I will do then!" vague crap that we usually get in bad soap operas. Gambit remains a passive character. Witch is highly unsual for him.
    THANK YOU! All I could think was how big a moron he was to think oh I will just take care of Apocalypse later.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Heck I would have easilly preferred a simple scene where Gambit shows them he has teh gem and asks all of them why Apocalypse should have it. Thereby giving us a real reason why these characters are so trusting and dancing to whatever tune Apocalypse plays. Instead we get the normal well he did A in issue 1, so we bot B in issue 2-4 and now they have to do C,D;E and so on because they have done A-B.
    Yes, exactly. I too thought to myself after reading the issue that it would have been nice if he had at least shown some resistance of any kind. Even if it had been futile in the end and he lost(either an argument or a fight), I still would have been more satisfied than with how it ended up going down in the actual issue. And if Gambit does ever get any vindication for being the lone voice of dissent aginst Apocalypse, a scene like that would make it all the sweeter. Not that I think that is the direction Howard is going with the Gambit and Apocalypse interplay in this series mind you.

And yeah, it could have been a good way of showing why the others are helping Apocalypse. Although I don't think Howard has any intention of exploring that. That ship sailed when they continued helping him after he installed the psycho Jamie Braddock of all people as ruler in the first arc.

Is it a good thing that Betsy and Apocalypse are no where to found in the Excalibur cover? Those are both the characters that have had the most story focus.

On the other hand, Tini still has not written a good Rogue and Gambit.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Is it a good thing that Betsy and Apocalypse are no where to found in the Excalibur cover? Those are both the characters that have had the most story focus.

On the other hand, Tini still has not written a good Rogue and Gambit.
    I noticed that too. I wonder what's going on there. The solicit was kind of vague, but it sounds like Betsy and Apoc won't be in that issue at least. It would be nice to see Gambit and Rogue get more attention but yeah, I'm not holding out hope that it will be written well.
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    I noticed that too. I wonder what's going on there. The solicit was kind of vague, but it sounds like Betsy and Apoc won't be in that issue at least. It would be nice to see Gambit and Rogue get more attention but yeah, I'm not holding out hope that it will be written well.
    I keyed in on that as well. Also Meggan is now with them.

Here's hoping Apocalypse is out and they are searching for Betsy?

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

I keyed in on that as well. Also Meggan is now with them.

Here's hoping Apocalypse is out and they are searching for Betsy?
    Yeah, the addition of Meggan is cool too. I'm really curious to see how Tini will write her.
    Make Good Art