Page 6 of 69 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 1029
  1. #76
    BANNED Beaddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,233

    Default

    Gambit is one of the few mutants who has never been killed off before. Rogue has been ''killed off'', Killing Gambit would have an impact. Marvel are not the best lovers of marriages, if they get bored with their marriage they will Kill Gambit off.

  2. #77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Gambit is one of the few mutants who has never been killed off before. Rogue has been ''killed off'', Killing Gambit would have an impact. Marvel are not the best lovers of marriages, if they get bored with their marriage they will Kill Gambit off.
    I'm not sure that'd really stick with the whole resurrection protocols?

  3. #78
    Astonishing Member AppleJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    2,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    I'm not sure that'd really stick with the whole resurrection protocols?
    Agreed. There is a big push on building up, not tearing down per Hickman's dictate - Part of the reason death was taken off the table. Though somehow I suspect he would make an exception for Gambit, as so many writers dislike him and I think he's one of them.

    I do think there is a big risk for Remy to get killed off down the line, but probably not the immediate future.

    He was in such a strong position at the end of MMX, I hope we can get back that confident and respected Gambit again. I've been re-reading the Majoire Lui X-23 run recently alongside this and the contrast is painful.

    Maybe it's time to write in? I've been holding off to let this arc finish and see the whole picture. Hoping I'd have something to praise and be excited about. Not that Hickman cares one iota about what fans think and let's face it, he's really the guy running the show. Not even any fan letter pages in the DoX books. Of course, the schedule is probably a factor there too. But yeah ...

  4. #79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Agreed. There is a big push on building up, not tearing down per Hickman's dictate - Part of the reason death was taken off the table. Though somehow I suspect he would make an exception for Gambit, as so many writers dislike him and I think he's one of them.

    I do think there is a big risk for Remy to get killed off down the line, but probably not the immediate future.

    He was in such a strong position at the end of MMX, I hope we can get back that confident and respected Gambit again. I've been re-reading the Majoire Lui X-23 run recently alongside this and the contrast is painful.

    Maybe it's time to write in? I've been holding off to let this arc finish and see the whole picture. Hoping I'd have something to praise and be excited about. Not that Hickman cares one iota about what fans think and let's face it, he's really the guy running the show. Not even any fan letter pages in the DoX books. Of course, the schedule is probably a factor there too. But yeah ...
    Why? What kind of arsehole hates Remy?? Absolute bastard, no wonder I hate Hickman.

  5. #80
    Astonishing Member AppleJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    2,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Why? What kind of arsehole hates Remy?? Absolute bastard, no wonder I hate Hickman.
    Only a suspicion, don't want to start some rumour. But many of the writers pretty openly dislike Gambit with a few exceptions. It's just popular to dislike Gambit apparently and hate on the 90's in general.

    And yeah, while his plotting ability is admirable and I like his Roberto in New Mutants, generally I have not been a fan of Hickman thus far, especially his dialogue. Which does pose a sort of problem considering he's running the line for probably years here and mentoring. My best hope was he'd forget Gambit existed and the writer who got Remy would protect him. That hope is fading.

  6. #81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Only a suspicion, don't want to start some rumour. But many of the writers pretty openly dislike Gambit with a few exceptions. It's just popular to dislike Gambit apparently and hate on the 90's in general.

    And yeah, while his plotting ability is admirable and I like his Roberto in New Mutants, generally I have not been a fan of Hickman thus far, especially his dialogue. Which does pose a sort of problem considering he's running the line for probably years here and mentoring. My best hope was he'd forget Gambit existed and the writer who got Remy would protect him. That hope is fading.
    Ugh, don't get me started on Hickman. His ideas are big and grandiose and admirable, but his execution is just...it's hardly amazing. It's contrived, it's convenient; the characters have no chemistry with each other or their situation--they're just moved about like dolls. They're mouth-pieces, not people. There's no nuance in his plot and, in fact, I find it overly-simplified. He seems to like the idea of the X-Men, not the X-Men themselves and definitely seems clouded by a sense of "this is the only way to do it right!" that makes me hard to take him seriously.

    I think for now the only thing we can do (as painful as it might be) is to just keep buying this book..for Remy's sake. Marvel won't argue with money; if they see he's on a book that's making more or less some good figures they won't kill him. The only time we pull out, however, is if Howard tries to pull the plug on his and Rogue's marriage.

  7. #82
    Extraordinary Member Purplevit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,956

    Default

    Gambit fans knew that Hickman hates Gambit even before Hox pox started. But noone knew where that rumour that Hickman hates him started.

    I asked a guy from GG who knows everyrhing Gambit related and even he don't know sourses of this rumour.

  8. #83
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Hickman is still in the honeymoon phase with us readers. Lets be honest here. He had the table set up and everyone was wearing their fancy clothes. X-men had been missmanaged for years. We where long overdue a sembelance of feeling important. Hickman brought that and his HoX/PoX was ambitious and great in some parts(less so in other). Overall a 7-8/10, depending how forgiving you are.

    So when he cleared the, arguably low standards, fans had we hyped him over the moon becasue it was beneficial for us to do so. A revitilased X-men universe would serve us, so was the argument. In general that has worked splendidly... to a degree. Because Hickman choose to change the overall statement what X-men is. It's not a group of mutants under the tutelage of Xavier fighting for the dream anymore. It's a book about mutants fighting humans, or more specific they are fighting evolution. Induced, designed or natural.

    Some mutants like Remy are in worse spot now. Depending on where Tini goes with Rogue she can end up anywhere.

    If we look at Gambit as a character. A con-man, charmer, someone who allways seems to tip the odds so he lands better off then when he fell. That doesn't suit Hickman. Who rather deal with a more academic setting with sublte threats, theories and big ideas.

    We are seeing the cracks forming with the realtionship between Hickman and us fans. We are already talking about what that we want him to write certain titles or certain adventures. A bigger desire to have him steer the line then actually give us X number of monthlies.

    Gambit is still popular and he sells. He can, as anyone, be missmanged and limboe'd just for the spite of it. The line will survive. The line survives even Wolverine being sidelined. Sooner or later someone insde Marvel will want to use Gambit more favorably.

  9. #84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Hickman is still in the honeymoon phase with us readers. Lets be honest here. He had the table set up and everyone was wearing their fancy clothes. X-men had been missmanaged for years. We where long overdue a sembelance of feeling important. Hickman brought that and his HoX/PoX was ambitious and great in some parts(less so in other). Overall a 7-8/10, depending how forgiving you are.

    So when he cleared the, arguably low standards, fans had we hyped him over the moon becasue it was beneficial for us to do so. A revitilased X-men universe would serve us, so was the argument. In general that has worked splendidly... to a degree. Because Hickman choose to change the overall statement what X-men is. It's not a group of mutants under the tutelage of Xavier fighting for the dream anymore. It's a book about mutants fighting humans, or more specific they are fighting evolution. Induced, designed or natural.

    Some mutants like Remy are in worse spot now. Depending on where Tini goes with Rogue she can end up anywhere.

    If we look at Gambit as a character. A con-man, charmer, someone who allways seems to tip the odds so he lands better off then when he fell. That doesn't suit Hickman. Who rather deal with a more academic setting with sublte threats, theories and big ideas.

    We are seeing the cracks forming with the realtionship between Hickman and us fans. We are already talking about what that we want him to write certain titles or certain adventures. A bigger desire to have him steer the line then actually give us X number of monthlies.

    Gambit is still popular and he sells. He can, as anyone, be missmanged and limboe'd just for the spite of it. The line will survive. The line survives even Wolverine being sidelined. Sooner or later someone insde Marvel will want to use Gambit more favorably.
    As someone who wasn't sold on Hickman from the get-go (his work and his interviews just really, really rub me the wrong way,) I 100% agree with all you've said. It feels like there's a novelty factor here, but I doubt that love is going to last as long as any other direction. Jesus, just remembering how quick people turned on Rosenberg...

    But in regards to the bolded; how do we, as Gambit fans, push for that more strongly? How do we send encouragement for that someone inside Marvel to actively push against what Hickman might plan, so far as side-lining him anyway?

  10. #85
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    As someone who wasn't sold on Hickman from the get-go (his work and his interviews just really, really rub me the wrong way,) I 100% agree with all you've said. It feels like there's a novelty factor here, but I doubt that love is going to last as long as any other direction. Jesus, just remembering how quick people turned on Rosenberg...

    But in regards to the bolded; how do we, as Gambit fans, push for that more strongly? How do we send encouragement for that someone inside Marvel to actively push against what Hickman might plan, so far as side-lining him anyway?
    It’s a double edged sword with buying the title. It tells marvel we support Gambit but also we support the current direction. I think we should buy the comic as long as it isn’t cancelation level. While contacting editors and particularly the X-men group editor (Ketchum? White?)Asking for a new writer and title for Gambit. Or just Tini start giving him some care.

  11. #86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    It’s a double edged sword with buying the title. It tells marvel we support Gambit but also we support the current direction. I think we should buy the comic as long as it isn’t cancelation level. While contacting editors and particularly the X-men group editor (Ketchum? White?)Asking for a new writer and title for Gambit. Or just Tini start giving him some care.
    Do editors actually notice when fans contact them, though? I thought they had measures in place against it in case of like, harassment?

  12. #87
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Do editors actually notice when fans contact them, though? I thought they had measures in place against it in case of like, harassment?
    Haha You might be right. I just remember that at least the editor of Gambits solo was active on Twitter. Marvel must at least have some channel that you can voice your opinions. Anyway a work related mail to a official work mail voicing a complaint about the product must be possible. Otherwise Marvel has officially given us the middle finger.

  13. #88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Haha You might be right. I just remember that at least the editor of Gambits solo was active on Twitter. Marvel must at least have some channel that you can voice your opinions. Anyway a work related mail to a official work mail voicing a complaint about the product must be possible. Otherwise Marvel has officially given us the middle finger.
    They're owned by Disney now; they have Mouse Money to work with. They don't need us, lol!

  14. #89
    Astonishing Member AppleJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    2,126

    Default

    IMG_20200109_192917.jpg

    This image is helping me hold out hope that things will turn around, because it's so incredibly sweet looking. How can Tini not love him?! She has to, right???? Maybe there's a reason for giving him all this abuse? Or she just didn't see it as a problem because she doesn't understand just how many times we've already been through this as Gambit fans? At least Rogue seems to care about Gambit in this book. I mean, lately ...

    Yeah, I'm not sure what to do here. I want to support my favorite characters. I want to enjoy this book. Everything on paper says I should love this, but I just don't. I want Marvel to have my characters in a book, not limbo, and keep them together. The best way to support that is buy their book. But do I want to keep paying for a title that is bringing me so little joy and so much frustration?

    Malachi, you summed it up succinctly. Gambit is not a character Hickman would probably ever prioritize. He seems to gravitate to the big scale, more classic and grandiose characters.

    And whatever goodwill Tini has toward Gambit and his fans, souring her by sending angry letters won't improve the situation. Chances are he'll stay in her hands for a while because all the X-books are selling well. Heck, even Fallen Angels is doing well and it's not being well reviewed by almost anyone.

    So ... I guess it's just a waiting game to see if it improves and if not, how long it lasts. I mean, we knew the good times for Romy wouldn't last forever. I just hope we aren't going to lose them so quickly. It was so hard earned and long awaited.

    Maybe eventually they will rotate some characters around in the books? Or bring on different writers?

    I still will probably write in when the arc is over, but focus on praising the things that are working over criticizing the ones that aren't.

  15. #90
    Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Miami... the good one.
    Posts
    4,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Gambit is one of the few mutants who has never been killed off before. Rogue has been ''killed off'', Killing Gambit would have an impact. Marvel are not the best lovers of marriages, if they get bored with their marriage they will Kill Gambit off.
    Gambit has died before. Just got resurrected immediately afterward, see Gambit #17. Shot in the head. Then there was that going to heaven-thing in XXM... doesnt count I guess. And technically, Rogue's "death" was undone. She was never really gone as far as history goes.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •