Page 4 of 105 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

KT answered my question:
    Rogue is likely to appear in Deadpool #6. Probably not Gambit though.

I hope I will write them again too. I miss them very much.

My overall non-spoiler summary for Excalibur #5: facepalm.

Amazing Member

So Tini Howard wants to destroy Gambit's character again, right?

Rictor's comment to Gambit I think speaks for itself. "Mouthy idiot"

[insert something witty] PeachFlavoredXanax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzz View Post
    So Tini Howard wants to destroy Gambit's character again, right?
    He’s basically the punching bag of the series. Not sure why Tini hates the character so much.

Rogue is pretty great this issue so at least we’re batting 50%. Her outfit ain’t my favorite though.

I think that everyone should start to prepare themselves for the worst. As the worst I am talking about blue Apocalypse baby with red Gambit eyes that Rogue would give a birth at the end of this book. Issue 12?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    I think that everyone should start to prepare themselves for the worst. As the worst I am talking about blue Apocalypse baby with red Gambit eyes that Rogue would give a birth at the end of this book. Issue 12?
    The worst would be Apocalypse being the father.

Positives: I like Tini's Rogue in this issue way better than in the first one, so no complains there. spoilers:
    Gambit was smart enough to check with another telepaths, although he should have done that from the start but hey at least is something.
    end of spoilers

Negatives: Everything else that involved Gambit, he is the butt of all the jokes and the punching bag of the series. Five issues in and I CAN'T remember a single moment when Gambit did something cool, he's been pathetic so far.

Last edited by R0d; 01-08-2020 at 08:49 AM.

Spectacular Member

I downloaded and read this in the early hours of the day. But was too depressed to comment and am not even sure if I want to pick up the hard copy today. Not sure if I want to continue with the book. I can’t believe I would abandon a book featuring my favourite couple and so many of my favourite characters, but I can’t stand the portrayal of Gambit and how other characters are treating him. I see moments where maybe he isn’t being depicted so badly, but then it all goes to hell. Rogue is written better, but there is still something so off about it and I am not at all interested in the story development for her.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    My overall non-spoiler summary for Excalibur #5: facepalm.
    Agreed.

You know….at a different time, this would have felt like a crazy possibility. But now…totally plausible. Do I really want to stick it out for that? I boycotted after Deathbit…so maybe we’re heading into that territory again?

*joins the Great Romy Depression of 2020* I miss KT!!!

And here I thought this would be a good year. Tini writes Gambit as if she HATES him. If any of this is supposed to be "funny" or "light hearted" she is failing miserably. I recall her sharing a tweet about Gambit's "Bitch Switch" holy heck, I didn't know she meant "bitch" in the bad way (I mistook it for BADASS). Her dialogue sucks and her characterizations are way off with everyone but Bets and A. I didn't HATE this issue due to Rogue being awake and giving a **** about Gambit but him remaining the literal punching bag is just so annoying and frustrating. My hopes are dashed by each issue and I will foolishly read through but I've quit buying the floppies and only read the digital through a friend's account.

Even though I was excited for this issue I completely forgot about it at 3 a.m. when I woke up. That's super telling. MMX wouldn't allow me to just fall back to sleep. I'd read that sucker.

The best part of the book is Marcus To and his beautiful art. Some say it's "TOO PRETTY" but for me, the colors should be less vibrant... it's crazy how vibrant colors can feel so dull.

*BIG EFFING SIGH*
    Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    I feel as if, uh, little Remy would make an issue sell more than little Bruce.

While still not quite 100% confirmed, Rogue's pregnancy was pretty much a giveaway when this cover was released. The ones that thought it was "just a power upgrade from Krakoa" were in denial. Foreshadowing babies dated as far back as the Mojo-arc in MMX. And more hints in this latest Excalibur issue as well.

However, when I initially saw the cover of #5, I did feel that Apocalypse will try to somehow make a connection to the child. So I think that's coming too. While I agree with most that Gambit was incompetent in this issue, I suppose his plan to get Rachel to help Rogue wake-up worked, so he did technically succeed. Also the one panel where Apocalypse thinks there's something inside Gambit that he would need gives him some sort of purpose in the upcoming issues. So there is that. But this hot-tempered, clumsy take on Gambit doesn't work, his character is completely off.

Rogue was pretty good in this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzz View Post
    The worst would be Apocalypse being the father.
    Gambit will still be the father, but Apocalypse will have an influence. That's how I'm seeing it so far...

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Romy Ship View Post
    *joins the Great Romy Depression of 2020* I miss KT!!!

And here I thought this would be a good year. Tini writes Gambit as if she HATES him. If any of this is supposed to be "funny" or "light hearted" she is failing miserably. I recall her sharing a tweet about Gambit's "Bitch Switch" holy heck, I didn't know she meant "bitch" in the bad way (I mistook it for BADASS). Her dialogue sucks and her characterizations are way off with everyone but Bets and A. I didn't HATE this issue due to Rogue being awake and giving a **** about Gambit but him remaining the literal punching bag is just so annoying and frustrating. My hopes are dashed by each issue and I will foolishly read through but I've quit buying the floppies and only read the digital through a friend's account.

Even though I was excited for this issue I completely forgot about it at 3 a.m. when I woke up. That's super telling. MMX wouldn't allow me to just fall back to sleep. I'd read that sucker.

The best part of the book is Marcus To and his beautiful art. Some say it's "TOO PRETTY" but for me, the colors should be less vibrant... it's crazy how vibrant colors can feel so dull.

*BIG EFFING SIGH*
    I SO FEEL YOUR PAIN ROMY SHIP! I REALLY MISS KT TOO! It's just been too painful to say it out loud. Is there any way to get her back? What really bothered me was that Rogue woke up because she sensed Gambit needed saving (very sweet, their love can overcome coffin/coma/flower challenges - blah blah blah). But I'm pretty pissed that he did need saving. -A- pummeled him. Remember (was it X-MEN #33 or #34 - too depressed to climb up my closet and check) where Gambit said to Beast, Rogue and Psylocke that he would never hide behind or need protection from someone else when battling a formidable foe (Hey - even clone Sabertooth with a glass mouth can cause trouble) and in this Excalibur version of him, he clearly does need help. Rogue easily defeats the "willing -A-. I know a huge criticism of MMX and the mini was that Rogue appeared to get the bigger wins to save the day, but this is now blatant and Gambit looks incompetent. Furthermore, Gambit falls and needs Rictor to sacrifice their loot to save him (Gambit jumped off a building in MMX and didn't have a scratch on him). Maybe we were too spoiled with KT and her knowledge of the characters and their backgrounds and their rich histories? Perhaps I've been ruined for all writers moving forward?

KT answered my question:
    Rogue is likely to appear in Deadpool #6. Probably not Gambit though.

I hope I will write them again too. I miss them very much.
    Because KT is a wonderful person! Tears! This is now my theme music when I think of her

Last edited by LegoLiz; 01-08-2020 at 01:08 PM.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I love them as a couple but I feel divided if Rogue is indeed pregnant. On one side now that they are married it is the best time to explore all this kind of stuff while it last but on the other side I think a kid could be kind of a problem in the long term, I just don't think it is something that could work long term for them. Like it can be cute but it is also a responsibility for both characters inside and outside the story.
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 01-08-2020 at 01:43 PM.

BANNED

Even though I hate how Gambit's conflict with Apocalypse was handled (he is so much more craftier in combat damnit!) I do like that he is still being shown to go against the grain; he puts his own measures in place because, yeah, why the hell should he trust that old bastard after all he's put them through? And I love that Rogue was shown to appreciate the effort and that the first thing she came to do was beat the ever-loving **** out of Apocalypse. I mean it sucks that he got what he wanted in his death, but seeing his 'loving' illusion finally put to question was a relief.

Gambit needs way more love and care though. Either from Tini or, ya know, someone who's at least gonna pretend they like him.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Even though I hate how Gambit's conflict with Apocalypse was handled (he is so much more craftier in combat damnit!) I do like that he is still being shown to go against the grain; he puts his own measures in place because, yeah, why the hell should he trust that old bastard after all he's put them through? And I love that Rogue was shown to appreciate the effort and that the first thing she came to do was beat the ever-loving **** out of Apocalypse. I mean it sucks that he got what he wanted in his death, but seeing his 'loving' illusion finally put to question was a relief.

Gambit needs way more love and care though. Either from Tini or, ya know, someone who's at least gonna pretend they like him.
    That's a good point. I still don't understand why people are so trusting of Apocalypse, but I'm glad Gambit hasn't been. That's a silver lining, at least. I'm still just so disappointed in this book, even when I take my "Gambit/Rogue Fan" hat off.
    Make Good Art