Page 46 of 105 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    I don`t expect for anyone to answer, really. Just wanted to remind them that Gambit and Rogue have fans.
    Yeah, I get it! And it IS a beautiful piece of art, so I'm glad you shared it!

This is kind of a trying time, especially coming off R&G and MMX. Guess we knew the party couldn't last forever. And the powers that be see good book sales and a successful launch in Excalibur, so in their minds that means overall that readers are satisfied. They aren't going to have much belief in or concern over a few fans complaining online. Because there are always fans complaining online, no matter what they do. From their point of view, Rogue and Gambit are being featured in a successful book therefore fans must be happy.

Unless they see a large enough response to get their attention, like a big dip in sales and/or a mountain of letters, there is no concern and it's going to be a steady course forward of whatever Hickman's plan is.

So what can we do? I'm not really sure there is anything. Possibly just ride it out and wait?

Other ideas: Promote the characters as much as possible in ways that are positive on social media and try to reach new fans - grow the fanbase. Talk about the books and writers you love, share art, make fan art, and write fan fic. Support the creators that have interest in them. Try to stay away from negative discourse with creators - it's only going to sour them towards fans anyway and is just not courteous. Share and support podcasts that feature them or the creators that support them - again, reaches a bigger audience. Write in to Marvel with your concerns, but be professional and use constructive criticism. Consider not giving a book that is frustrating you as much or any financial support - drop the floppy, cancel your pull, and/or go digital only (at least you can rate it), share a copy with a friend, only read the review threads or read them before you buy, wait until it's on Marvel Unlimited. Give your LCS feedback - mine was worried they did something wrong when I cancelled my pull and I explained I was dissapointed with the book, not them.

As for X of Swords ... there hasn't been enough promo art to really know who will have what size of a role in it. And if Tini and Hickman are writing most of it, that begs the question of: If Gambit and Rogue DO appear, what kind of appearance are we really going to get anyway? If it's more of the same that we've already seen in Excalibur, are we even excited about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    Here's a preview with Rogue from this week's X-Men Monday (if anyone still cares about the book, that is lol)

Attachment 94222
    Any comic that has Rogue and a dragon in it is a comic worth having.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

The cloak? Idk. It feels like she needed a winter coat and Emma Frost lent her one from her closet. It doesn't really scream "Rogue" to me. If they were using it to give her a more fantasy look, then they should have changed the rest of her costume too
    Quote Originally Posted by PeachFlavoredXanax View Post
    I am But it is a bit wonky over a bomber jacket. They need to pick either or, but not both together. But yeah, I love how proud she is of her takedown (which yes is an awkward moral question as they are sentient creatures). Really, they should ALL be rocking their warwolf pelts
    Yeah ... maybe it's the mismatch that just looks choppy to me? The bright white clashes with her uniform greens and also seems like overkill with her existing jacket. And the whole conceit of a dead creature turning into instantly wearable clothing ... I mean, I know it's comics but for some reason that just seems bizarro in a dumb way. Are we expecting she'll keep using it as a disguise or was that temporary?

I generally like the idea of a cape or cloak for her in this kind of setting though. Definitely wish we were getting a more fantasy vibe for the new costume in general.

https://twitter.com/Purplevit13/stat...89003502624768

Posted new my fanart with this tweet and added White, Cebulski, Hickman and Howard to it.

Who has twitter please reply that you want more good written Gambit and Rogue in comics or whatever you want to say. They may see our comments.

Always wanted to see Remy with Darth Maul`s double lightsaber
    Great work as usual!

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    So what can we do? I'm not really sure there is anything. Possibly just ride it out and wait?
    Yup, the only thing we can do is cross our fingers and wait for the sales numbers of Excalibur to fall down a cliff as soon as possible.
    I hope that after the appalling last two issue a lot of people drop the book.
    That said I have the terrible hunch that Excalibur is going to become the next X-men Gold, universally hated by the people online but despite that it always remained with solid sales.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Other ideas: Promote the characters as much as possible in ways that are positive on social media and try to reach new fans - grow the fanbase. Talk about the books and writers you love, share art, make fan art, and write fan fic. Support the creators that have interest in them. Try to stay away from negative discourse with creators - it's only going to sour them towards fans anyway and is just not courteous. Share and support podcasts that feature them or the creators that support them - again, reaches a bigger audience. Write in to Marvel with your concerns, but be professional and use constructive criticism. Consider not giving a book that is frustrating you as much or any financial support - drop the floppy, cancel your pull, and/or go digital only (at least you can rate it), share a copy with a friend, only read the review threads or read them before you buy, wait until it's on Marvel Unlimited. Give your LCS feedback - mine was worried they did something wrong when I cancelled my pull and I explained I was dissapointed with the book, not them.

As for X of Swords ... there hasn't been enough promo art to really know who will have what size of a role in it. And if Tini and Hickman are writing most of it, that begs the question of: If Gambit and Rogue DO appear, what kind of appearance are we really going to get anyway? If it's more of the same that we've already seen in Excalibur, are we even excited about that?
    I think you nailed it with this. Give criticism. Be civil. To your point, creators aren't going to want to engage with you if you're super negative. I would say try to use positive reinforcement by talking about what you like, but there hasn't been a ton of stuff so far to be positive about lol

I think I'm going to start with writing to Marvel. It's only a drop in the bucket, but it couldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by R0d View Post
    Yup, the only thing we can do is cross our fingers and wait for the sales numbers of Excalibur to fall down a cliff as soon as possible.
    I hope that after the appalling last two issue a lot of people drop the book.
    That said I have the terrible hunch that Excalibur is going to become the next X-men Gold, universally hated by the people online but despite that it always remained with solid sales.
    That's what I'm worried about. I feel like we are one end of the spectrum of people who like this book. A guy from my LCS is in love with the book (because he seems to be a big Apocalypse fan). A lot of people might just think it's "meh" but will continue to buy it because it has a character that they like that they can't read anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Any comic that has Rogue and a dragon in it is a comic worth having.
    About 5 months ago, I would have been ecstatic to see this panel. This comic has made me too jaded lol
    Make Good Art

Xavierfiles did several creator interviews for C2E2 here:

https://twitter.com/ClassicXbooks/st...017721858?s=19

We get a brief mention of Gambit and Rogue from Tini.
    Apparently, Duggan mentioned wanting to revisit some of his Uncanny Avengers cast.

I think you nailed it with this. Give criticism. Be civil. To your point, creators aren't going to want to engage with you if you're super negative. I would say try to use positive reinforcement by talking about what you like, but there hasn't been a ton of stuff so far to be positive about lol

I think I'm going to start with writing to Marvel. It's only a drop in the bucket, but it couldn't hurt.
    Yeah, I think I need to commit to doing this too. I've been putting it off and putting it off because I wanted to be able to give some positive feedback and it's just really hard to find a silver lining.

That's what I'm worried about. I feel like we are one end of the spectrum of people who like this book. A guy from my LCS is in love with the book (because he seems to be a big Apocalypse fan). A lot of people might just think it's "meh" but will continue to buy it because it has a character that they like that they can't read anywhere else.
    Yeah, I'm kind of baffled by the upsurge of Apocalypse fans. Like ... you know this dude wholeheartedly still believes in the survival of the fittest, mutant supremacy, might makes right ...??? And it's not like this book is presenting him as having a change of-heart on that. I don't get the appeal.

About 5 months ago, I would have been ecstatic to see this panel. This comic has made me too jaded lol
    Same. And dragon Shogo is maybe the thing I like most. But it doesn't make up for poorly written characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    Apparently, Duggan mentioned wanting to revisit some of his Uncanny Avengers cast.
    Oh yeah, I guess he does. I figured it was more nostalgia than a chance of him getting the team back together. Maybe there will be call for a Unity team down the line, to make peace between mutants and the other supes.

According to Krakoa Arena data page or whatever it is called from Cable #1 Rogue has defeated Havok.

According to Krakoa Arena data page or whatever it is called from Cable #1 Rogue has defeated Havok.
    Interesting. That whole arena thing in the Cable preview reminded me of when the Shadow King took over everyone's minds (Muir Island Saga) and made them completely uninhibited and had Moira running basically a gladitorial arena just like this ... and Rogue was kicking everyone's butt and ... huhhhhh ... I'm still not so sure Xavier is Xavier entirely ...

Well ... the preview is up.

We continue hammering home the theme that Gambit is distrustful of [A] due to his horseman days (just in case anyone missed it apparently). Rogue and the rest continue being a little too compliant for my taste. And we finally see [A]'s motivation in this enterprise conquering Otherworld in order to reunite Krakoa/Arrako and retrieve the original horsemen. Why the Council is behind [A] is beyond me. Ehhhh.

I didn't read a single X-comic this week and I'm not sure if I will. I'm feeling more and more soured on DoX. Maybe being stuck indoors due to this pandemic will make me bored enough to keep going.

Well ... the preview is up.

We continue hammering home the theme that Gambit is distrustful of [A] due to his horseman days (just in case anyone missed it apparently). Rogue and the rest continue being a little too compliant for my taste. And we finally see [A]'s motivation in this enterprise conquering Otherworld in order to reunite Krakoa/Arrako and retrieve the original horsemen. Why the Council is behind [A] is beyond me. Ehhhh.

I didn't read a single X-comic this week and I'm not sure if I will. I'm feeling more and more soured on DoX. Maybe being stuck indoors due to this pandemic will make me bored enough to keep going.
    The whole premise so far has been that Moira knows stuff. She lets Xavier and Magneto in to some knowledge(how much is kept vague for future Moira plots). Apocalypse is also in on the plans. His desire to retrieve his OG4 is in line with what the council deems necessary for whatever future fights and events. So that leaves us with the mess that Apocalypse is a necessary component. The end justifies the means.

For me this is a story that requires the X-men not to act as the X-men. Big personalities and wills are ignored to paint broader strokes. Suddenly we have this largly homogenous bunch who does whatever the top brass says. It's not X-men. It's a mutant story with sect themes.

While I can dig the general themes and ideas that Krakoa explores this plot hampers the story for me. It confines characters like Gambit who should revolt against Apocalypse. Instead we are constantly reminded that Apocalypse is right. In a double remark. So Gambit is stuck spinning his wheels.

(A) He can't move forward because it then challenges Apocalypse and we go back to the council. They reprimand him and we are back in sqaure one.
    (B) He actually twarths some plan for Apocalypse and the council reprimands him for threatening the future of mutants.
    (C) He plays along looking like a chump with the rest of the team
    (D) Gambit stops Apocalypse who is actually wrong. A much trickier move that requires more nuanced writting and plotting. Potentially postponing the arc progression but furthering the team. Building stronger chracters but risking Apocalypse looking less all knowing.

With D there is a oppertunity to flesh out the characters. Make them bounce off each other and strenghten the team identity. It would have to be much more nuanced and balanced then what we have gotten so far. With dialouge that is ripe with subtext. Still considering that this seems to exist more as a vehicle for Apocalypse and his plots then the team I doubt we will get it.

Of course more options exist. I just threw these up in 30 sec.
    Last edited by Malachi; 03-12-2020 at 07:09 PM.

Here's a preview with Rogue from this week's X-Men Monday (if anyone still cares about the book, that is lol)

Attachment 94222

This is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by PeachFlavoredXanax View Post
    I am But it is a bit wonky over a bomber jacket. They need to pick either or, but not both together. But yeah, I love how proud she is of her takedown (which yes is an awkward moral question as they are sentient creatures). Really, they should ALL be rocking their warwolf pelts

I have no problem with Rogue with cape, in fact I think it looks good on her as long as she have flying powers.

But if you think you should choose one thing or jacket or cape,with both it looks a little stuffy.

I don't want to end Excslibur.
    If you are a huge Gambit fan, I can understand it.
    Gambit here is more whiny and weaker than usual.
    and Gambit ta is confirmed it will be in a new book .. it will be fine mat in two.

But what about Rogue ????
    There is a possibility this in one of the upcoming new books, but it is not safe.... so in the meantime I don't want to run out of my dose of Rogue.

Yes, good is true after the past few years of good streak that we have had, us are going years being a central focus on xmen and xmen legacy that was really her book.
    Then several years leading an Avengers squad and having great moments as Avengers, what came later was clearly a slump.

But I am not entirely unhappy with excalibur, although Rogue doesn't have too much dialogue yet.
    It is the one with the best action scenes and the best level of power.

As long as that happens I can tolerate it.
    It could be worse Gambit and Psylocke their seems to me they are very badly portrayed in this comic.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    The whole premise so far has been that Moira knows stuff. She lets Xavier and Magneto in to some knowledge(how much is kept vague for future Moira plots). Apocalypse is also in on the plans. His desire to retrieve his OG4 is in line with what the council deems necessary for whatever future fights and events. So that leaves us with the mess that Apocalypse is a necessary component. The end justifies the means.

For me this is a story that requires the X-men not to act as the X-men. Big personalities and wills are ignored to paint broader strokes. Suddenly we have this largly homogenous bunch who does whatever the top brass says. It's not X-men. It's a mutant story with sect themes.
    Nailed it. At the risk of just repeating you, that's what bothers me about it. Any of these characters (not just Gambit) would be questioning Apocalypse. Heck, they would question Xavier or Magneto because it's not like either of them have been the most trustworthy in the past. We've had small hints of this but nothing ever comes of it. Plus, most of the mutants on Krakoa don't even know about Moira or what she's been through, so none of them know what the whole picture is.

But I guess we're supposed to suspend our disbelief for the story. I was able to do that with HoX and PoX because I thought those were good stories. Excalibur, on the other hand, hasn't imo.

I'd love to eat my words, though. I really want Tini to prove me wrong and have Gambit come out on top. I just don't see that happening right now.
    Make Good Art