Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 525
  1. #61
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I love them as a couple but I feel divided if Rogue is indeed pregnant. On one side now that they are married it is the best time to explore all this kind of stuff while it last but on the other side I think a kid could be kind of a problem in the long term, I just don't think it is something that could work long term for them. Like it can be cute but it is also a responsibility for both characters inside and outside the story.
    I'm divided too. I think it could introduce some interesting stories and character devolopment. The most natural development would probably be 2 devoted parents. Rogue is perfect for at least one epic mama bear story where she goes for the record in property damage.
    The downside is that I'm very skeptical considering Marvels commitment. Will they time travel the kid? Outright kill it for drama-points? Or use it to reflect negative on one of them? Overall I think the story is to fraught with negative choices that Marvel can't handle it. Perhaps if they had some writer handle the first few years to set up a status quo that is too hard to break. Overall a little mischievous Romy-kid for future stories would be very cool. A bit reckless, a bit clever, a bit bold and with a big heart for her/his friends. Someone who proudly says to his friends: My dad is the king of thieves and my mama can beat anyone.
    Last edited by Malachi; 01-08-2020 at 02:22 PM.

  2. #62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    I'm divided too. I think it could introduce some interesting stories and character devolopment. The most natural development would probably be 2 devoted parents. Rogue is perfect for at least one epic mama bear story where she goes for the record in property damage.
    The downside is that I'm very skeptical considering Marvels commitment. Will they time travel the kid? Outright kill it for drama-points? Or use it to reflect negative on one of them? Overall I think the story is to fraught with negative choices that Marvel can't handle it. Perhaps if they had some writer handle the first few years to set up a status quo that is too hard to break. Overall a little mischievous Romy-kid for future stories would be very cool. A bit reckless, a bit clever, a bit bold and with a big heart for her/his friends.
    See, there is one character who gives me hope in this respect...baby Shogo.

    Like, with how HOX/POX is set up as the official mutants vs humans approach, Shogo could have been easily and conveniently jettisoned either off panel or in Excalibur. Thankfully, though, he hasn't been, and I think he's probably one of the baby's who's been around for so long in a modern comic book. Just saying; Remy and Rogue having a baby could further their development and that of Shogo's, so...? There's cause to keep another baby around...?

  3. #63
    Fantastic Member Nox Noctes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    482

    Default

    I'd rather have Gambit temporarily disappear from the X-books than have him be a writer's punching bag. Give us good characterizations or don't bother writing him, you know?

    A good writer with a good plot could make a Romy baby story work, but I don't think Excalibur is the place for it and the mere idea of Rogue having an Apocalypse-related child makes my skin crawl. I hope it's not true.

  4. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nox Noctes View Post
    I'd rather have Gambit temporarily disappear from the X-books than have him be a writer's punching bag. Give us good characterizations or don't bother writing him, you know?

    A good writer with a good plot could make a Romy baby story work, but I don't think Excalibur is the place for it and the mere idea of Rogue having an Apocalypse-related child makes my skin crawl. I hope it's not true.
    See, I'm like a starving child in that respect...when he goes, X-Men doesn't actually exist for me, but when he shows up I'm a starving, abused child diving for scraps...

    Yeah, that concept needs its own book, you are 100% right! (Preferably headed by Kelly Thompson...) Oh god, I hope it isn't Apocalypse's kid...that just screams of...unfortunate implications...

    (Plus, Apocalypse, fuck you if so, does EVAN Sab en ur ring a bell??)

  5. #65

    Default

    I think killing Gambit off for a bit would be the best option right now tbh. Being in this book really isn’t doing him any favours, wait for a writer whom wants to write him as something other then a prop to every other character.

    It might give Rogue a new storyline rather then the “mah powers” spiel.

    Or maybe it’s the whole break the character down to build them up in a future arc?
    Last edited by CityofAngels; 01-08-2020 at 03:54 PM.

  6. #66
    Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    7,282

    Default

    Killing Gambit would only disolve their marriage. Granted it is a better way to disolve it than in other cases but still bad.
    After that there is no coming back.

  7. #67

    Default

    Characters die all the time, rest the character and generate some new ideas. I don’t know whose getting anything out of this book other then those whom like the rest of the X line (which is great), but are flag waving apologists. This is the worst selling x title right?

  8. #68
    Ready to roll out! R0d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CityofAngels View Post
    Characters die all the time, rest the character and generate some new ideas. I don’t know whose getting anything out of this book other then those whom like the rest of the X line (which is great), but are flag waving apologists. This is the worst selling x title right?
    He could die but then The Five (or whatever they are called) would bring him back the next day.

  9. #69
    Fantastic Member Sparta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R0d View Post
    He could die but then The Five (or whatever they are called) would bring him back the next day.
    Yep. And I've had my fill with "limbo Gambit" in large patches in the 2000's and 2010's. It doesn't help the character, it only diminishes him. He needs to have a consistent presence in the books, warts and all.

  10. #70
    Fantastic Member Nox Noctes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    482

    Default

    I'm just tired of "Gambit as a joke"--I don't recognize that characterization as him. If anything, it perpetuates the idea that it's an acceptable trope and a part of his character. Whatever. If he could end up in the hands of a writer who actually likes him, it would do him a world of good.

  11. #71
    Mighty Member AppleJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    1,993

    Default

    Yeah, no thanks on killing him off. That doesn't solve the problem, just sending him back to limbo. And then I have a 50% or greater chance of dropping all X-books ... again. Which is depressing considering I've barely returned.

    I'm sincerely confused on why writers do this. It's not so much that I expect characters NOT to be rude jerks to each other at least sometimes or that my faves would win in every battle or wouldn't have some weaknesses. But I honestly don't understand why you'd think fans of a very popular character would enjoy watching EVERY other character in a book be awful to them and use them as a punching bag/prop. Meanwhile showing almost none of their skill or goodness. The part where Gambit falls and keeps hitting the wall?! So annoyed. As mentioned above, contrast that with MMX #6 where he falls unscathed off the building. He's very agile. It doesn't make sense. If he had just fallen through space, then fine. Let Rictor save him. But again, he had to get a verbal dig in first too. And we already knew Apocalypse would pound him. Yes, Gambit would still take him on despite the disadvantage he's at, but at least let him have some SOME finesse?

    The only redeeming moment Gambit got was pulling one over on A and, allelulia!, talking to a telepath to help Rogue. So at least he WAS trying to solve the problem all along and is the only character on to A's mischief. So these are the crumbs that saved him for me.

    Betsy's lack of care also was annoying. Stellar leadership Bets!

    As for Rogue, it was great to finally see her awake! Loved the firey pup/Rachel entity and their interactions. Loved her dreamscape outfit. Glad to see her concern for Remy and her righteous anger at having her agency taken by A. Happy to see her take him out.

    The new uniform ... it's fine. But I don't see what the big reveal is? Why all the secrecy? So much like her 90's uniform. No real Fantasy/Authurian look to it. Shrugs. Ok.

    Rogue absorbing something/someone she shouldn't again and it goes awry ... again. Is this all that Earth shattering though?

    Her absorbing the magical whatever by plunging the sword in her STOMACH. THAT was rad. As for all the imagery and hints that she might be knocked up ... ehhhh ... starting to think all the foreshadowing is just meant to mess with us and won't have any serious follow-through. I'm between intrigued and annoyed. If anything actually comes of it, we won't see it for quite a while I bet.

    We already know they are probably on issue 12 by now at least, so can only hope for improvement.

    Art was great again.

  12. #72
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Yeah, no thanks on killing him off. That doesn't solve the problem, just sending him back to limbo. And then I have a 50% or greater chance of dropping all X-books ... again. Which is depressing considering I've barely returned.

    I'm sincerely confused on why writers do this. It's not so much that I expect characters NOT to be rude jerks to each other at least sometimes or that my faves would win in every battle or wouldn't have some weaknesses. But I honestly don't understand why you'd think fans of a very popular character would enjoy watching EVERY other character in a book be awful to them and use them as a punching bag/prop. Meanwhile showing almost none of their skill or goodness. The part where Gambit falls and keeps hitting the wall?! So annoyed. As mentioned above, contrast that with MMX #6 where he falls unscathed off the building. He's very agile. It doesn't make sense. If he had just fallen through space, then fine. Let Rictor save him. But again, he had to get a verbal dig in first too. And we already knew Apocalypse would pound him. Yes, Gambit would still take him on despite the disadvantage he's at, but at least let him have some SOME finesse?

    The only redeeming moment Gambit got was pulling one over on A and, allelulia!, talking to a telepath to help Rogue. So at least he WAS trying to solve the problem all along and is the only character on to A's mischief. So these are the crumbs that saved him for me.

    Betsy's lack of care also was annoying. Stellar leadership Bets!

    As for Rogue, it was great to finally see her awake! Loved the firey pup/Rachel entity and their interactions. Loved her dreamscape outfit. Glad to see her concern for Remy and her righteous anger at having her agency taken by A. Happy to see her take him out.

    The new uniform ... it's fine. But I don't see what the big reveal is? Why all the secrecy? So much like her 90's uniform. No real Fantasy/Authurian look to it. Shrugs. Ok.

    Rogue absorbing something/someone she shouldn't again and it goes awry ... again. Is this all that Earth shattering though?

    Her absorbing the magical whatever by plunging the sword in her STOMACH. THAT was rad. As for all the imagery and hints that she might be knocked up ... ehhhh ... starting to think all the foreshadowing is just meant to mess with us and won't have any serious follow-through. I'm between intrigued and annoyed. If anything actually comes of it, we won't see it for quite a while I bet.

    We already know they are probably on issue 12 by now at least, so can only hope for improvement.

    Art was great again.
    It's a bit of a puzzle as to why writers do these things. My guess, I have thought about it a bit, is that it's a combination. First you have the medium whitch is serialised. That's rare for a writer to work in. Characters who have several hundreds apperances before. In Tv there is showrunners(often creaters) with producers that keep the writers in line. In comics these editors have taken on smaller and smaller role. There's where this nonsense about continuity or not comes into play. In general it seems many writers just want to tell the story they want to tell. Roadblocks as "these two characters have this history" is just seen as unnecessary hinderance instead of a possibility to enrichen the story. Creating a story is a process of creating new stuff and then overcoming the roadblocks that these new things generate. Personally I think it's a shame that continuity isn't seen as a chance to get a better story. The critics are hang up on these minscular bizarre details that some fans complain about. They are overgeneralising to get their point across. The majority of long reading X-men fans want the writers to adhere to the history of the characters. Not like a slave but as someone who understands the character and why it's popular with the readers.

    Then there is point 2. A amauterish mentality that seems to have prospered in the bulletins. That it's cool to like some characters and others not. Growing up with certain characters and wanting to push these. Dan Didio over at DC has done a lot of damage to their legacy characters simply because he grew up with the silver age stuff. Wanting to push that and creating a rationale for why that sells more. Over at Marvel we have had several creators bash Gambit in interviews and panels at cons. Something one thinks a company would be strongly against, alas not. Then there is Tini. Who by her own admission didn't grew up with comics. She should have no childhood nostaliga or emotions to drive her to dislike a character. Add that she can't be an immature dude writing dude-comics. Yet here we are. Tini nearing Milligan levels of bad. Milligan who is an awsome writer but showed a complete lack of all skill and professional judgement when writting X-men some 10+ years ago.

    So to make this long post short. A combination of corparate culture and the creation process.

  13. #73
    Incredible Member Jumpyshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    759

    Default

    I'm enjoying Excalibur from a non-Rambit perspective, as it's consistently interesting in terms of the overall plot. I did cringe at Remy bouncing off the crevice, as he should have been able to do more with his skills/agility, and do agree that it's certainly been a comedown since MMX, even beyond them no longer being the co-stars.

    However, with the Krakoan influence possibly explaining why the others go along with -[A]- (and push back on Remy's resistance) then I did appreciate that Remy never stopped mistrusting him despite this, and was proactive in getting Rachel to assist Rogue. I also interpreted his straightforward attack on -[A]- as a desperation move, since he didn't exactly have time to put things in place, as -[A]- had deliberately removed Remy from the equation to prevent interference, all of which Remy intuits rapidly and nonetheless throws himself against a huge threat to protect Rogue from being exploited. This does buy her time (or provide her impetus) to escape the coma with Rachel's aid and save the day.
    My biggest criticism of Excalibur is that it is so stuffed that moments like this are harder to parse than if they had more breathing space, so I could be way off base/rationalising.

  14. #74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpyshark View Post
    I'm enjoying Excalibur from a non-Rambit perspective, as it's consistently interesting in terms of the overall plot. I did cringe at Remy bouncing off the crevice, as he should have been able to do more with his skills/agility, and do agree that it's certainly been a comedown since MMX, even beyond them no longer being the co-stars.

    However, with the Krakoan influence possibly explaining why the others go along with -[A]- (and push back on Remy's resistance) then I did appreciate that Remy never stopped mistrusting him despite this, and was proactive in getting Rachel to assist Rogue. I also interpreted his straightforward attack on -[A]- as a desperation move, since he didn't exactly have time to put things in place, as -[A]- had deliberately removed Remy from the equation to prevent interference, all of which Remy intuits rapidly and nonetheless throws himself against a huge threat to protect Rogue from being exploited. This does buy her time (or provide her impetus) to escape the coma with Rachel's aid and save the day.
    My biggest criticism of Excalibur is that it is so stuffed that moments like this are harder to parse than if they had more breathing space, so I could be way off base/rationalising.
    I like this perspective, I never actually factored in that Remy might, indeed feel desperate. As you say that's probably part of the book's pacing; they've got so much going on in one issue when, really, they probably should break it up a little...but then, do we know how much editorial influence might have to do with this? Like, does Howard 100% know that she's here for a while or is it like...she has 12 issues max so she's throwing everything she can in there?

  15. #75
    Mighty Member AppleJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    1,993

    Default

    Yeah, definitely could be pacing or just how the dialogue has been used. While we felt Remy seemed mopey, prickly, and rude in earlier issues ... you could maybe see that as feeling desperate or helpless. The way the dialogue is being done just hasn't been helpful in understanding what the characters are thinking or feeling. If all that time he was waiting for some sign from Rachel, perhaps that's why he was snappy and impatient and seemed non-active.

    This article has a much sunnier take on the issue:
    https://www.xavierfiles.com/2020/01/...excalibuddies/

    Helps to get an outsider perspective with different vested interests and expectations.

    I liked it better upon a second reading, but I think it really comes down to the dialogue not guiding the reader clearly on this journey of providing the characters thoughts, feelings, and motivations.

    It's not an issue of bad plotting entirely, although many of the fights have been lacking in pizazz or importance and there's lots of seemingly pointless or failed mini missions and so much hurry up and wait.

    It has one more issue to complete this arc and tie up some of these dangling threads.

    Presuming the best intentions from a good writer, by the end all this should make sense.

    Hopefully Remy will be awarded the vindication he's due from his teammates and Rogue can ditch the Apocalypse persona ASAP.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •